Right Choice....

mightymouse13

Binx's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
My mom recently passed away, She had three cats. I have a cat already so I could only take in one of the three the other two staying at my grandfather's.
I'm worried now that this cat is going to get depressed and sad since being away from the other cats. All she's done is hide since bringing her home.
Is this normal cat behavior or should I be worried?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome, and I'm sorry to hear about your mom :hugs:

Try cat music for that kitty, and otherwise don't be concerned, just go about your regular day as you usually do.

If you haven't already, provide her with a room all to herself and if you can, maybe a little something from your mom's house or even the room where your grandfather is keeping those cats, for a familiar smell.

She'll be ok after a bit, she just needs some time and a little emotional space and cushion so she can work out her new normal :). Bless you and your family for helping out these cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mightymouse13

Binx's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
It is a big change for her so this could just be normal. How long has it been since she came to your house? Is she in a separate space from your other cat?
I just brought her home. So I could just be putting all my stress into her and not worry so much.
I am so used to my cat who feels comfortable anywhere.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a look at my post above also. Some sources of music would be low volume classical harp music, you tube, Relax My Cat or Musicforcats . com. Not necessarily all the time, but for a couple hours or so, then none for a while so she has peace and quiet as well :)

mightymouse13

Binx's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Take a look at my post above also. Some sources of music would be low volume classical harp music, you tube, Relax My Cat or Musicforcats . com. Not necessarily all the time, but for a couple hours or so, then none for a while so she has peace and quiet as well :)
Thank you so much I know I'm probably worrying but I'll definitely try the kitty music ❤

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

Great advice and support so far.

This is normal behavior. Cats do not like change so any change can be unsettling and this kind of change is very unsettling.

I second Furballsmom's advice about having her in her own room. And having her items (bedding, cat tree, litter box, etc) with her scents and the scents of others to help with adjusting to the change and provide "ownership" in her mind. Cats are territorial so things they "own" can help with the change and ease the transition.

Also, use food to help build her confidence and trust. Don't force attention on her, act normal around her, maybe sit on the floor and talk lovingly to her, give her treats. Don't stand above her or stare at her. Let her initiate contact. Be calm and confident and loving around her as cats take on our emotions.

Also, keep her separated from your resident cat(s). We need to build her territorial security and confidence and then start introducing her to your resident cat(s). We will follow a formal process to help to get them introduced and to trust each other, accept each other, and get along.

Don't worry, cats respond to love and we'll get her intro'd. You already have 2 great and knowledgeable people helping and I am happy to add as needed. We'll help her and you.

Thank you so much for taking care of her and please feel free to ask anything anytime.

mightymouse13

Binx's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

Great advice and support so far.

This is normal behavior. Cats do not like change so any change can be unsettling and this kind of change is very unsettling.

I second Furballsmom's advice about having her in her own room. And having her items (bedding, cat tree, litter box, etc) with her scents and the scents of others to help with adjusting to the change and provide "ownership" in her mind. Cats are territorial so things they "own" can help with the change and ease the transition.

Also, use food to help build her confidence and trust. Don't force attention on her, act normal around her, maybe sit on the floor and talk lovingly to her, give her treats. Don't stand above her or stare at her. Let her initiate contact. Be calm and confident and loving around her as cats take on our emotions.

Also, keep her separated from your resident cat(s). We need to build her territorial security and confidence and then start introducing her to your resident cat(s). We will follow a formal process to help to get them introduced and to trust each other, accept each other, and get along.

Don't worry, cats respond to love and we'll get her intro'd. You already have 2 great and knowledgeable people helping and I am happy to add as needed. We'll help her and you.

Thank you so much for taking care of her and please feel free to ask anything anytime.
The only problem is Im in a one-bedroom apartment.

mightymouse13

Binx's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
Assuming she's in your bedroom now (?), could you keep the door closed?
Not really just because its where Im usually doing homework and stuff I don't have furniture in my house yet

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you block the door with something to keep your other cats out so this kitty can relax a little without them in there? ...just for a while until she's more comfortable.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your apartment?

Is there a bedroom with a door, a bathroom and a living area? Or is it more open?

Are you able to add a cat tree and cat bedding. litter box or 2 and maybe a scratching post in the living area? Human furniture isn't as necessary as cat furniture.

Then in the bedroom make sure you have a litter box or 2 and cat bedding and if at all possible a cat tree.

And play will be very important to help build their confidence (especially the resident cat(s)).

Does your resident cat spend a lot of his time in the bedroom?

Where do you have windows that may look outside? In both the bedroom and living areas or only one?

We'll figure out a way but we really do want to keep them totally separated for now if at all possible. If you have a bedroom door and then the rest of the house is open (kitchen/sitting area) then we'll probably have the new kitty in the bedroom and the resident cat(s) in the rest of the apartment.

Don't worry, we'll figure it out.

Last edited:

mightymouse13

Binx's Mom
Kitten
Purraise
He does spend a lot of time in the bedroom but since he got his cat tree hes usually on that. I'm not really worried about my cat because at my mom's they tolerated each other and even played together. I think it's mostly the change and now shes away from the other two cats one of which she was pretty close with and I wish I could have taken with me but my place is not big enough.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, good. It is good he "owns" the cat tree as it will give him confidence. Can we keep him totally out of the bedroom while new kitty stays in the bedroom?

Well, cats are territorial so while he may have accepted her at your mom's house on his territory it may be different. And if she lacks confidence and acts like prey it could lead to some issues that I would like to avoid as it would make getting them together more challenging.

She will adjust and respond to being love and as she gets her confidence back it will help in getting them intro'd.

How old is your new kitty?

I know, I take care of a feral colony with cats I absolutely love. I wish I could take them in but I am already full in the house. Even though it is difficult emotionally it has to be done. So please don't feel badly that you could take the other two cats in. We have to stay calm and confident to help your two kitties to adjust and get along.

I have to do some things but will check back again tomorrow so if I don't respond right away that is why.