Ridiculously big signatures?

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some people are starting to have huge pictures in their signature area. Look at the fourth post in this thread for an example:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50266

This hurts people like me who connect here through a modem. Small pictures are okay but if people want these huge pictures that fill up the entire screen, is there something I can do to turn this extra stuff off? I'm already using the "lightest" style (Cream of Dreams) to help navigate quicker. Is there a setting where I can turn pictures off so the thread will load faster?

Any advice on how to simplify things would be helpful -- just so I can move around and read the text. Thanks!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey hon, we do have size restrictions in place here, and as soon as one like this is noticed, they are contacted and requested to make it smaller, if not, one of the mods will remove it for them. I have dropped a private message to one of the mods with a link to the person's username included.....since its early morning, probably can't get anything done until this afternoon, but it will be taken care of.
Technically, it shouldn't be over 30 KB (and this one is almost 100KB over that). If you see one that you think is too big, rightclick on it, and under properties, check out the size in bytes or Kbytes, if its over 30kb or 30,000 bytes, pm either Deb25 or jcat, and they'll take care of it as soon as they check into it. Thanks!

Oh, and trust me, I know about the dial-up....my home connection is only 24000 kbps!!!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and in your user CP, under options, there is a box you can check/uncheck that lets you turn off the viewing of signatures too......had to look up where it was, sorry!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do try and keep up on the sigs. Deb does a great job, but face it, the board is growing. If you see a signature that is huge and it is slowing up the board for you, simply hit the report button- the triangle with the exclamation point in it- and then type that the signature line is to large. Then a mod will go in to see if the file size is to large- we only allow (30Kb) or under. If it is to large the member will be sent a warning. If they choose to do nothing, the signature line will be zapped within a few days and they will need to start all over, this time with an acceptable size.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Just a correction, PM any of the regular moderators and we'll contact the person. Jcat is a mod in IMO, but not for the overall forums.
Yep - I can check out the size of the siggy, but can't alter it. I can help to resize siggies, though, so feel free to PM me if you need help. I'll try to make your siggy the right size, and post it so that you can copy it.

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do not know what browser you are using but if I were you - and I have been there. I used to have dialup at home when I 1st had internet service there - I would turn off the graphics son the browser so they do not show up at all If you want to view the graphic, then you left click where the graphic is (If the HTML code is up to uhm code, lol, - I mean properly written - you will be able to read what was described in the <ALT> tag. Unfortunately, some people rely too much on HTML editors and thus there are no ALT tags or they forget it themselves) and you can see it.

On IE,

1. Click Tools
2. Click Options
3. Click Advanced
4. Unclick the box next to "Show Pictures" which is the default for IE.

Good luck!!

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

Oh, and in your user CP, under options, there is a box you can check/uncheck that lets you turn off the viewing of signatures too......had to look up where it was, sorry!
I usually view without signatures too. if i want to see for some reason, there's a link right on teh person's name

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a signature is waaaaaayyyy out of line, I will delete it immediately. Once again, refer to this thread for guidelines. With all the little crazes we go through on signatures (tickers, moods, fancy photos, animated items...etc.), please remember you simply can't have it all in your signature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
KittenKrazy, thanks for those details and I will try browsing with the signatures and avatars turned off.

It is tough -- nearly everyone has a reasonable signature, but it is always the <5% who have to go way overboard. Oh well, the mods and admins can only do what they can do. Thanks!