Ridgeback Cat

blu goat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anybody seen a cat with a ridgeback mark down their back ?

Tippi as one , I've looked on the internet and I can find no information about cats who have a ridge on their back.

All I can find is information on Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs.

Its not always clear to see on Tippi , but this morning I took these pictures and they clearly show the ridge down her back.

Is this a common feature in DSH cats ?

I came here looking for information on this. My cat is a short haired, ticked tabby. He has a very pronounced ridge down his back. It is a 1/2-1" in width of very shiny, solid black hairs, the hairs being about 3/4-1" long. It runs from just below his shoulders to the tip of his tail, tapering to shorter hairs, starting just past his tailbone. It looks rather like a short horse's mane down his back. I have only seen it standing up the one time I saw him doing that freaked out, arched back, cat thing. There is matching hair on the top of his head which tapers off at the beginning of his neck.

ziggypuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I was crazy when I noticed the ridge that inverts at Pip's tail. He's a Red Point Siamese. Glad to see others here!
My Red Point has a ridge that looks just like Pip's as well as a "curly" tail (his tail curls into a circle and feels prehensile). I've never seen other cats with a ridge and it's interesting that they are the same breed. Does yours have a curly tail as well?

Sarahbear414

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Tippi as one , I've looked on the internet and I can find no information about cats who have a ridge on their back.

Its not always clear to see on Tippi , but this morning I took these pictures and they clearly show the ridge down her back.

I have two black and white sisters that I adopted from a rescue nearly a year ago when they were about 3 months old. As they have matured, both of them have developed a very distinctive ridge along their spines. The larger of the two, who is predominantly white, has a very pronounced ridge, while the smaller, black girl has less of a ridge.It is visible at all times on both girls and has nothing to do with their emotions or moods. I wish I knew why it was occurring; is it a mutation or a breed trait? I hope someone comes up with a clear answer for us.

Sarahbear414

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my Sage is a Ridgeback cat. I always called it her Mohawk, not knowing that there was actually a name for this feature in a kitty. One more AWESOME AND ADORABLE thing she does is that she will sit up on her hind legs and beg in the air for attention. Just like a dog, it's ADORABLE. PLUS she is self taught on this feature too. See pics.
20171110_163532.jpg
20171110_163512.jpg
20161011_235103.jpg

Sarahbear414

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, does anyone have a cat that sits up on her hind legs like a mongoose and begs with her paws in the air. It is soooooooooo cute.

KOS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Snow followed a stray I feed to My place. I grabbed her up just before a big storm hit. She was tiny when I caught her now she's morphed into a 12 lb cat. Looks like a Himalayan Siamese but with cream colored ears and light tiger stripes. She's always had the Ridgeback fur down her spine. It's even funnier to see when she arches her back playing with My cat Loki.

KOS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Red Point has a ridge that looks just like Pip's as well as a "curly" tail (his tail curls into a circle and feels prehensile). I've never seen other cats with a ridge and it's interesting that they are the same breed. Does yours have a curly tail as well?
Looks a lot like My Snow girl kitty. Not sure if someone lost her or her family died. I never saw a Momma cat or siblings before I caught her.

Sweetie's dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sweetie's dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently had a stray cat adopt us. We are guessing she was dumped in the woods near our house. She looks like she is part Siamese and part calico with black, grey and a few small orange spots. When she got fixed, a few months back, the vet guessed her to be 14 months old. We only recently noticed that she can turn her ridge on and off. Nobody in our family had ever seen this in other cats, and we wondered if she was the only one. We are convinced that she exhibits traits of her ancient ancestors like covering her food when she is done eating. She is protective of her territory, and has no problem antagonizing the neighboring dogs, so we figure her ridge is a throwback too. It is nice to meet other parents of ridgebacks. I think we are very lucky people.

Maia the Bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has this too, he's a platinum point Tonkinese- I found this page looking for info as I was curious about this trait. I've had burmese, tonkinese and siamese for many years and have never seen it.
Luca Ridgeback.jpg

TeeLee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
590CBF52-A38B-4871-91B9-5E8908AD9830.jpeg
87EADA0D-1237-416F-89FD-1E2E399EC0DB.jpeg

Our male Sealpoint Siamese cat, Otis, has a definite ridge down his back that is visible all the time regardless if he is sitting, standing, walking or laying.

We rescued him from a shelter when he was about 1 year old (he’s now 3). The ridge seemed to appear as he matured into an adult. I thought it might be a known trait in a certain breed and wanted to see if I could find out if Otis is actually a mixed breed. He certainly LOOKS like a Siamese, complete with gorgeous blue eyes! But, being a rescue, he probably has other DNA mixed in. I’ve had several Siamese cats but have never seen the ridge of fur before. Sounds like it makes sweet Otis very unique!

T

Cray Cat Lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a black and white female ridgeback cat. Not only does she have a very pronounced ridge on her back, she has one directly on her stomack, exactly opposite the one on her back. I have never seen a cat with a ridge on its back before, so when I searched, I found your post. She is young, about a year and a half old. Someone dumped her on our road, and she found her way to our house. We took her in, got her spayed, and she is a homebody now!

Attachments

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

CatMom1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two 4 1/2 year old Siamese Tortie mixes sisters, Nala (has a white nose) and Sarabi (brown nose), a few months ago and they both have ridgebacks. Sarabi’s is so evident that when I run my head down her back, it can turn into a valley instead of a ridge.
There seems to be a preponderance of Siamese cats, mentioned on this thread, with this trait but that could just be circumstantial. 6BFCAA83-27ED-40C7-AAA2-BAA3125E8308.jpeg EC1058E7-894F-4041-935D-970C5F1168EE.jpeg