Ridgeback Cat

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anybody seen a cat with a ridgeback mark down their back ?

Tippi as one , I've looked on the internet and I can find no information about cats who have a ridge on their back.

All I can find is information on Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs.

Its not always clear to see on Tippi , but this morning I took these pictures and they clearly show the ridge down her back.

Is this a common feature in DSH cats ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Has anybody seen a cat with a ridgeback mark down their back ?

Tippi as one , I've looked on the internet and I can find no information about cats who have a ridge on their back.

All I can find is information on Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs.

Its not always clear to see on Tippi , but this morning I took these pictures and they clearly show the ridge down her back.

Is this a common feature in DSH cats ?
Nay, it isnt common.  I suppose there is some nice explanation with some proper time to think on it, but common is it not.   :)

kokomonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is Tippi?  When I adopted Roxanne she had a mohawk that went fairly far down her back as well. I joked that she was a Rhodesian Ridgecat. She is now 10ish months old and has, unfortunately, outgrown the mohawk.  The stripe still runs down her head and back and stands up a bit, but really isn't noticeable as a ridge any longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

How old is Tippi?  When I adopted Roxanne she had a mohawk that went fairly far down her back as well. I joked that she was a Rhodesian Ridgecat. She is now 10ish months old and has, unfortunately, outgrown the mohawk.  The stripe still runs down her head and back and stands up a bit, but really isn't noticeable as a ridge any longer.
She is 19 month old , can't say I noticed it when she was a kitten it's become more noticeable as she as matured into an adult cat.

It's more visible when she is sat down.

Human hair can stick up in what's called a cowlick , it reminds me of that except its longer and in a definite line down the centre of her back.

Its really odd to see,

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure of the reason but it sure is unique .. I like it ..

tonialea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girl has a ridgeback too, I've never seen one before and wondered if it was a throwback to some breed.
It's not as pronounced at the moment because she has her winter coat. She's about 7 years old now, I adopted her when she was 5.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the case of my boy, Boo, his ridge appeared when I was drying him. I think it was a reaction to the dislike of the dryer, sort of like a cat puffing up its tail when scared. Boo no longer does this as he has gotten used to my dryer - but if I change types of dryers, it comes back.

lunnas slave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It must be something to do with how the fur lies ?
I found one bit of information on the net about a black cat in Cornwall England that had been seen in some ones garden with a ridge running down it's back.

This picture is a side angle view of the ridge.

I have a solid black adult female cat with a ridge down her back & sometimes down her tail. I was curious too. I don't know her history as she is a rescue cat.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting... I have no wealth of knowledge to lend to  your question.  Our stray/feral cat Buttercup's hair sort of goes into a ridge like that when I am trying to socialize her with our resident cats but it is not quite so pronounced. However, your cat appears to be relaxed and sleeping... Buttercups only does it when she is tense/aggravated. I will have to try to get a picture to compare.

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I used to have a Tippi cat too! No ridge though, just an orange tipped tail.

I've only heard of a hair ridge like that but it was in reference to cougars where the subspecies in Florida had dwindled to the point that recessive genes were starting to show in the offspring, the ridge being one marker.

Genetic hiccup or not, its a conversation starter and cool looking!

susiejan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have a ridgeback cat whose fur looks almost identical to this cute calico. Hes a 2 yr old white with brn tabby and has a oriental breed look to him like maybe many generations back. Anyway thanks for letting me know my cat isnt the only one!
I do TNR and i trapped him as alone cat and since he was semiferal i opted to keep him bc he had no feeder. Now he's sweet as can be :)

witchs familiar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our Luna, a black mixed breed kitten we adopted at weaning who ended up with some pretty serious health issues due to genetics (caused abnormal growth of her bones, dwarfing gene).  She has this, as well, and it's very pronounced.  She is 3 years old now, and doing much better with her bones.  :0)

dani713

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Baloo has a very distinct ridge also. I've worked with animals for almost 10 years and have never come across this until him. I couldn't find any information on this until I came across this. I'm glad he's not the only one [emoji]128516[/emoji]

farcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Van colored neutered cat Oscar that has a very pronounced ridge. It is very visable at all times. We have had a lot of cats, but Oscar is our one and only ridgeback.

meli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! Im so glad to hear of other cats out there that also have ridgeback hair down their spines.. my cat has this ridge also. Her only surviving kitten thats grown now, has no ridge . Im wondering bout that reccesive gene that was mentioned as a possible origin though? Seems possible?
Id love to find out more bout such ridged cats :)

haydaze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two black and white sisters that I adopted from a rescue nearly a year ago when they were about 3 months old. As they have matured, both of them have developed a very distinctive ridge along their spines. The larger of the two, who is predominantly white, has a very pronounced ridge, while the smaller, black girl has less of a ridge.It is visible at all times on both girls and has nothing to do with their emotions or moods.  I wish I knew why it was occurring; is it a mutation or a breed trait? I hope someone comes up with a clear answer for us.