Rice like pieces in hairball vomit (worms?) but nothing in feces?

liger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all
So I have a 5 year old tabby
Lately he has been vomiting hairballs / mini hair balls at least once a day and there's what looks like pieces of rice embedded within it.
it took a little while to put 2 and 2 together as for a couple weeks we had been feeding him fancy feast medly portions, which contain actual rice. we were thinking he was just hacking some of the rice back up his hairballs
But now that he's off this food for a couple weeks the rice like material is still there when he throws up a hairball, which is once a day
He also has been having diarrhea and scoots afterwards. however there's no visible worms in the excrement
Is this surely worms? I tend to think so because of what I read regarding the pieces of what look like rice in the hairball / vomit but there's no worms at all in his poops. maybe lung worms (since there's nothing in his poop)?
If so would bayer cat dewormer suffice?
Vet can't see him for 2 weeks!
He hasn't been his full usual playful self so something is definitely going on! He has been drinking a good amount of water. Still eating but not as much as usual.
Please tell me it's probably worms??
Thank you

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could you send a photo of the 'rice' to your vet for his opinion. If you haven't wormed him for some time then I would do so now and see if they disappear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you send a photo of the 'rice' to your vet for his opinion. If you haven't wormed him for some time then I would do so now and see if they disappear.
Thank you for the reply
I will definitely take a photo the next time it happens to ask the vet...that makes sense! No idea why I haven't yet..
He was de-wormed when he was adopted 4 years ago or so...supposedly anyway. Looking back the adoption center he came from was a bit sketchy, as apparently he was micro-chipped (I was even given a tag with the # on it) but he's been to 3 vets over the past few years and they all claimed he doesn't have a chip!
Will try to get my hands on some bayer cat dewormer ASAP..I suppose it can't hurt??

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to worm my cats twice a year just in case. As for the microchip, they can migrate to a different part of the body and not be found in the place they originally were injected, it has happened to one of mine and she had another chip put in.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No worming of a cat is going to last 4 years if he encounters worm eggs. I would take him to a vet along with a fecal sample and a hairball sample if you can get one. Different worms are treated somewhat differently, so it helps to know what you're dealing with.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all
So I have a 5 year old tabby
Lately he has been vomiting hairballs / mini hair balls at least once a day and there's what looks like pieces of rice embedded within it.
it took a little while to put 2 and 2 together as for a couple weeks we had been feeding him fancy feast medly portions, which contain actual rice. we were thinking he was just hacking some of the rice back up his hairballs
But now that he's off this food for a couple weeks the rice like material is still there when he throws up a hairball, which is once a day
He also has been having diarrhea and scoots afterwards. however there's no visible worms in the excrement
Is this surely worms? I tend to think so because of what I read regarding the pieces of what look like rice in the hairball / vomit but there's no worms at all in his poops. maybe lung worms (since there's nothing in his poop)?
If so would bayer cat dewormer suffice?
Vet can't see him for 2 weeks!
He hasn't been his full usual playful self so something is definitely going on! He has been drinking a good amount of water. Still eating but not as much as usual.
Please tell me it's probably worms??
Thank you
Some cats won’t eliminate tapeworms through their poop and will get rid of them by throwing up some hairballs so yeah most probably your cat has some worms and you should treat them because in some cases that bugs can make your cat suffer from seizures and trust me,it’s really hard to see.