Rexed Maine Coon?

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I keep bombarding you guys with questions here and I'm sorry for yet another, but my Maine Coon kitten has curly fur in his ruff and tummy fur, as well as some wavy whiskers.

Does this make him a discouraged "rexed" Maine Coon? Is this enough to disqualify him in a show? It'd really be a shame because his muzzle is a work of genetic art, if I do say so myself.

P.s. He is pure white. My camera and light just have an awful yellow bias.

FB_IMG_1509324153285.jpg
IMG_20171120_033625180.jpg
IMG_20171120_033425389.jpg
IMG_20171120_034101651.jpg
IMG_20171120_034222168.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you can tell, I had to bother him through his nap to take pictures to show what I mean, haha.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How old is your kitten? It looks partly like kitten fuzzies. Mostly it will be taken care of by proper grooming. I only have shorthair cats so don't know the exact routine for bathing longhair cats. I do know it's a 2 or 3 step bath followed by blow drying. The blow drying is very important for straightening out those curls.

Do you have a mentor who can help you learn how to do show prep on your baby?

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is almost 3mos. Yes, I do. He can't be shown until he's older anyway. It's how the breeder does things. When his adult coat comes in, I bet a lot of that will go away, though his whiskers may need some work.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he have blue eyes? I think the Maine Coon cats are easy to pass as pedigree when they can be outcrosses of an alley cat, persian or ragdoll.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does he have blue eyes? I think the Maine Coon cats are easy to pass as pedigree when they can be outcrosses of an alley cat, persian or ragdoll.
He does have blue eyes.

BUT, according to the Maine Coon breed standard, which I studied at length before buying a blue-eyed Maine Coon, it is permitted -- even odd eyes are permitted -- if he or she is solid white, which Alaska is. I'd send you a link but my nails are drying and it's hard to type as it is, haha. He has a pedigree from a known local breeder of European Bloodline Maine Coons.

And Persians more often have gold or copper eyes. Also, only Himalayans have blue eyes. For any of the breeds you mentioned, points are linked genetically to the blue eyes. Now other breeds are blue-eyed and white, but it is not impossible in Maine Coons, just rare, but fully in the purebred standards. Also, considering that he's a European Maine Coon, his exaggerated features exclude a mix.

Last edited:

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Maine Coons! I love their size, temperament, and exotic look. I settled for the Ragdoll, which is the next large cat. Mine is solid white with sparkling vivid blue eyes. He's only 15 weeks old and weighing almost 6 lbs. I think he'll be big.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Persian has crimped/curly-looking tummy furs and sometimes after she cleans herself the fur beneath her mouth will appear curly too. She's not at all a rex cat on the vast majority of her body though.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last cat Beau was a DLH with Persian ancestry. He had fur like that too.

hortusgirlii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His fur is just tousled not rexed, he’s fine on the rexing count