Revolution

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What kind of regimen do you have your indoor kitties on? The vet recommended I used Revolution every 30 days for Lilly, and she has had her initial dose when she was 8 weeks old. It has been another 4 weeks since then and I'm wondering if she should be getting another dose? I have never seen as much as 1 flea on the girl since she was a baby. I know some people on here have said they do not apply Revolution every 30 days but rather every couple months or so. What do you all think is best?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's going to be most effective if you apply it every 30 days, because the levels of the medication in the cat's system decrease over time. It does get absorbed by tissues and fats and is slowly re-released into the blood and tissues, but some of it is also constantly being flushed out and excreted from the body. Studies have shown that it is very safe for cats even at much higher than the recommended does, so giving it every 30 days is not likely to cause problems. Technically, a cat with more fat is going to be protected longer because it will store more of the active ingredient. I think some people might hold off on giving it every month because it is so expensive. I make sure I apply it to my cat every month because she's FIV positive and I want to give her immune system every possible advantage I can.

ETA: I found this info about heartworm and Revolution, indicating it's best to give every month because of the life cycle of the parasite::
In order to prevent heartworm, Revolution for pets must be given monthly, year-round. You can possibly miss a dose here and there and the Revolution will still be able to kill the L3 larvae (which take many months to mature into adults) and thereby prevent heartworm disease, but it is not recommended  (you certainly do not want a miss a dose by over 2 months). 
(from http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/revolution-flea-control.html)

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know some people don't treat their indoor cats for fleas.  I take my cat out on a leash and harness and also have a mesh tent that both cats enjoy.  Since it is warm enough to be out year round here and Ferals as well as possum, raccoon, and skunks have been seen in my yard I treat Eclipse every month with Revolution.  Fluffy gets Advantage II every month since the Revolution makes her itch.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Better safe than sorry. You never know what you bring inside, even if your kitten is an indoor kitty. 

Although if cost is an issue, I would treat your cat with Revolution during flea season. But I mainly treat my cat with Revolution because I don't want him to have heartworm or any other internal parasite.