Revolution vs Stronghold question

tlman12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this has been answered before but I can't seem to find anything difinitive around the internet so i figured i'd ask.

I have 3 cats and I give them all Revolution once a month and that gets to be pretty expensive at $15 per dose. Before i go any further this is NOT a question because i can't "afford" to take care of the animals i have so no flames on me not being able to take responsibility, i CAN afford revolution and i have been happily giving it to them thus far. I know some people can be jugemental and jump to conclusions and then the real question never gets answered. I've never posted here so i'm not sure how everyone here is but i thought i should make that clear so we don't waste any time getting to the facts. 

i'm only wondering based on some research i've been doing if these 2 products are the same. 

what i've been able to deduce from my research is that both brands are produced by the same company "pfizer" 

both have the same active ingrediant "selamectin" in the same dose. 

the only difference i can find is that Revolution is EPA approved in the US and Stronghold is for sale internationally, that and the price. Stronghold on average is half the price of Revolution.

I'm speculating that the only reason for that is the cost and time required for it to be approved for sale in the US?

has anyone had any experiance with these products? 

Thank you 

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the cat site! 

I am sure no one will flame you for wanting to save some money, cats can be expensive and I think we all try to find cost cutting tips. 

I do not give flea treatments to my cats because they are indoor but from everything that I have read they do appear to be the same product and stronghold is the name revolution uses when selling it abroad. Here are some posts that mention this (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/253188/fleas#post_3293039) and (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/150769/flea-treatment#post_2092560). 

Do your cats go outside? I know a lot of vets push revolution on inside cats and I really do not agree with this. While a lot of pets are fine with these flea treatments there are some issues associated with them (http://healthypets.mercola.com/site.../03/31/dangers-of-flea-and-tick-problems.aspx). I think they are often overused so that may be something to think about, but of course it is a personal decision and people who do use spot on treatments are in no way bad pet parents. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tlman12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's pretty much what I was finding, I was hoping that someone here would have a picture of the stronghold ingredients and concentration although I don't see how the other ingredients could matter much as long as the active ingredient is the same. 

My cats are indoor but sometimes I will take them to places with me and one time a few days after I brought them back I noticed a bunch of fleas so I will give them a good bath and then give them revolution for 2-3 months afterword. Also I like to give it to them during rainy season when all the mosquitos are out because although they don't go outside the do go on my porch with is only screened in and mosquitos and other insects get in. 

I have read about the side effects but my cats have been on it for a while and respond very well, fleas (when contracted) disappear within days of the initial application and never come back. 

thecatsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok...I know this is a year later, after the first post, but, I have used other flea treatment products, and Revolutin works great. I am about to try Stronghold. And I am assuming that since no one has come out to say not to..., then it is fine. My cats are indoor, but I have two dogs that go out, and a yard (which I havn't had before in Florida.). You can't beat the price! Please reply if you know why getting Stronghold is not a good idea.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you mean Revolution? If so Revolution is Stronghold (same product ingredients different name)

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've previously used stronghold on my cats- worked well, but vet then changed us to advocate which also works well.

mytonkchloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I came across this post while doing research for Stronghold, Revolution and Advocate. I had been using Revolution since Chloe was 6 months and last year tried Stronghold since it was $23 cheaper a year. I thought they were the same but it appears Revolution has 60 mg of Selamectin and Stronghold 45 mg (for 5.7-15 lbs). Chloe is an only & inside cat so I honestly noticed no difference. SHE, however, still hates the first of the month regardless of the mg's. I was thinking of trying something else because she is so skinny to me. She is 4 now and weighs a half a pound less than when she was a year old. The vet swears her blood work is fine & she's just "lean". It recently occurred to me that maybe the medicine was the culprit. I looked at Advocate but that has completely different ingredients and am too afraid to introduce something new to her system. I want her protected but I need her to eat. Thinking of stopping it for the winter to see if there is an improvement to her appetite.

abfostermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a site that sells Stronghold and came across the following information. Pay special attention to the last sentance in the disclaimer. It seems that the only reason it's not sold in the US is because of packaging regulations. I though it was interesting: 

Here's the website where I found this: http://www.vetmeds4pets.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=34_100_101

Last edited by a moderator:

lokie242

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this has been answered before but I can't seem to find anything difinitive around the internet so i figured i'd ask.

I have 3 cats and I give them all Revolution once a month and that gets to be pretty expensive at $15 per dose. Before i go any further this is NOT a question because i can't "afford" to take care of the animals i have so no flames on me not being able to take responsibility, i CAN afford revolution and i have been happily giving it to them thus far. I know some people can be jugemental and jump to conclusions and then the real question never gets answered. I've never posted here so i'm not sure how everyone here is but i thought i should make that clear so we don't waste any time getting to the facts. 

i'm only wondering based on some research i've been doing if these 2 products are the same. 

what i've been able to deduce from my research is that both brands are produced by the same company "pfizer" 

the only difference i can find is that Revolution is EPA approved in the US and Stronghold is for sale internationally, that and the price. Stronghold on average is half the price of Revolution.

I'm speculating that the only reason for that is the cost and time required for it to be approved for sale in the US?

Thank you 

When I order revolution from out of the country, the online company ships revolution. They have the same ingredients but the measurement is in milliliters while the usa uses ounces. A small difference as the price is more affordable out of the country.

aznmlfan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi, I came across this post while doing research for Stronghold, Revolution and Advocate. I had been using Revolution since Chloe was 6 months and last year tried Stronghold since it was $23 cheaper a year. I thought they were the same but it appears Revolution has 60 mg of Selamectin and Stronghold 45 mg (for 5.7-15 lbs). Chloe is an only & inside cat so I honestly noticed no difference. SHE, however, still hates the first of the month regardless of the mg's. I was thinking of trying something else because she is so skinny to me. She is 4 now and weighs a half a pound less than when she was a year old. The vet swears her blood work is fine & she's just "lean". It recently occurred to me that maybe the medicine was the culprit. I looked at Advocate but that has completely different ingredients and am too afraid to introduce something new to her system. I want her protected but I need her to eat. Thinking of stopping it for the winter to see if there is an improvement to her appetite.
They are the same dose. Revolution says 60 mg per 1 mL and they are 0.75 mL, thus 45 mg a dose. I think they have since changed their packaging to be less confusing.

Last time I purchased both Stronghold and Revolution to compare. (Both with expiration date 8/2017) I prefer Stronghold because the tube is clear so I can tell if I've gotten all the liquid out. Revolution tube is white. The foil packaging is the same. The box (6 month supply) for Stronghold is slightly larger.

Joanie3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you
I am also new-ish to this site. I am so happy I found it. Everyone has been kind and very knowledgeable. Bookmark it. It comes in handy often!
On to the subject at hand: I've used US Revolution and Canadian Revolution. They have worked equally well on my cats. I have three, so the savings really adds up.
I'm not sure how I've never seen the Stronghold before. The website I order from has it. I guess I just ordered the Revolution without shopping around.
I live in the Northeast and I keep hearing about how bad ticks are going to be this year and there is a new breed of tick not known to be in this area before. Found a tick on one of my cats (not embedded, on the surface of his fur) so I checked and Revolution/Stronghold doesn't have tick prevention in it's formula for cats.
Then lo and behold! Stronghold Plus! It has added tick protection. So if you're also concerned about ticks, you may want to consider Stronghold Plus. I'm so happy I perused the website!

KrazieKATlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Joanie3. :hellocat:
I know this is an old post but I just saw this thread and had to join.
You had mentioned that you purchased Revolution through a Canadian website. May I ask the which website it was? I need to get it for my 8 fur babies, but (1) I can't find a place to purchase it through the US without a prescription and (2 ) I am leary to purchase from out of the US unless someone else can confirm that the company was valid as well as no issues with the product & shipping.
Any information you are willing to provide, I would GREATLY be appreciated!

Thank you so much.
KrazieKATlady
:greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw:

Catlady2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Joanie3. :hellocat:
I know this is an old post but I just saw this thread and had to join.
You had mentioned that you purchased Revolution through a Canadian website. May I ask the which website it was? I need to get it for my 8 fur babies, but (1) I can't find a place to purchase it through the US without a prescription and (2 ) I am leary to purchase from out of the US unless someone else can confirm that the company was valid as well as no issues with the product & shipping.
Any information you are willing to provide, I would GREATLY be appreciated!

Thank you so much.
KrazieKATlady
:greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw:

I prefer vetmeds4pets.uk
Also, you can use the dog formula and dose it out. I know people will scream nooo! But even my vet approved after I showed him UC davis has a dosing chart and approves. I have amber bottles I store any excess in, put in a drawer so it doesn't degrade. *I run a rescue so I treat 40 cats a month on average.. it doesn't sit long lol.
I end up paying about 1.25 to 1.50 a dose.

Resources | Koret Shelter Medicine Program

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've bought Revolution from the Australian site, Cats & Kittens Mega-Store. Works well for me. Delivery time is longish. Well worth the price to pay for faster delivery. There are two levels, fast, & faster. I paid for fast, and delivery time to Texas was 5 weeks. Good luck.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would rather dose down XL dog Revolution, bought from my vet, for my cats than buy from an unknown, out of the country, website where I don't know anything about where the product is coming from or if is really is what they say it is. Are these overseas stores and pharmacies legit? Legal? A scam? How would you even know?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because other members of TCS have bought Revolution from them. Then I did. And the product I received worked like Revolution, as far as I can tell. Kept my cats flea free for over a month. "Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck. It's probably a duck". Or close enough that it doesn't matter.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, I just question things I guess with so much counterfeit product, drugs, everything out there. It is fine until it isn't lol. I probably overthink it.

Catlady2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually called Zoetis and read the numbers off to them, they confirmed.

It takes about 2 weeks from vetmeds4pets.uk give or take. *this is the product I confirmed and gave now bought it multiple times.

I bought from sierrapetmeds this time as it was a little cheaper. It's the same box style, number type etc and was sealed, but I was a little weirded out that even though it said the site is Australian, it shipped from Singapore.. so I'll buy from the first site in the future.

I

Catlady2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*I also check reviews extensively in deciding whether to buy from a site. Additionally I contact them directly before ordering. I even tested the smell and feel of revolution vs the other stuff lol.