revolution. Is it needed for house kitties?

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me samples of revolution for my new kittens. They will only be house cats. Is revolution necessary since one of its uses is for treating fleas and ticks, or is there a better way to guard against heartworm etc? I don't want to spend the $30 per month if it is overmedicating.

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

Revolution, Advantage, or Frontline would be the best recommendation, IMO.
Even if they are only house kitties?

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you might bring a flea or two in on yourselves - better to be safe than sorry!

avocado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont use a flea and tick on my indoor cats... if i get fleas i will deal with it then and i have not seen a flea in my house so far. i dont like the idea of putting a potentially dangerous chemical on my cats every month as a preventative for something that they dont even have.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use it for heartworm prevention.
My cats don't go out, but mosquitoes sure do come in.

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only, and we don't use it - my vet said this was fine, and we've never had fleas or ticks or worms of any kind.

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work at an animal hospital and don't use a topical treatment for fleas -- even though I can get it very cheap and sometimes free. I also don't like to put something on my kitties that I don't have to.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's just heartworm you're concerned about, I'd recommend Heartgard. It's a convenient, easily chewed and swallowed pill. More like a cat treat than a pill, really. Kills heartworm larvae. To be given once every 30 days. Cost me $4.50 per dose.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

If it's just heartworm you're concerned about, I'd recommend Heartgard. It's a convenient, easily chewed and swallowed pill. More like a cat treat than a pill, really. Kills heartworm larvae. To be given once every 30 days. Cost me $4.50 per dose.
My cat kept spitting it out.

loraandjeff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Thanks Coaster, I was watching this question too as I have our kitties first follow up booster shot tomorrow at the vets. Mine are also indoors, fleas are not an issue in my area, and tick season is over for us too...but heartworms scare me since our mosquito population is horrendous (my city is known as the mosquito capital of Canada....and we are right on the river too!)

Is Heartguard something that I need to get from my vet? Or is it purchased at a pet store?

Lora

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use revolution on my kitties. It works like a charm. I like how it kills ear mites

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My breeder told me that some cats have a bad reaction to Revolution so she suggested using Frontline or Advantage. Anyone else hear the same thing? My vet always recommended it to his clients when I was volunteering there.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Revolution (in my opinion) seems to do so much.... too much almost - I use frontline because it does what I want - kill and prevent fleas.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heartguard can be gotten only at your vet....OR a petmedication site once OK'd by your vet.....

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not heard about heartworm being a problem with cats in my area. When I first got my kitties almost 5 years ago..they were covered with fleas. They were taken to their vet, given a flea dip, treated for worms & 2 months of Frontline. I haven't seen a flea on my indoor kitties or in my place since. I am loving life without flea collars, poisons etc. What a joy.

lucius&cissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats reacts to Revolution, but the other does just fine. A few days after application she develops a sore red spot, loses fur, and then gets a scab, which heals and eventually the fur grows back. The first time it happened it was just a very small sore, but she was on the small dose also. Then I kind of forgot about it and she got the stronger dose and a very sore area. The vet said that happens to some animals, her own dog reacts also, and to try it on 3 areas instead. It still happened with a big sore spot in the same area, and a very small sore in another. Obviously I won't use this on her again.

But like I said, the other cat has no reaction.

We will try something different, and I'm only going for a one month dose for a trial, or possibly a free trial, if offered.

musicteacher

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two indoor kitties get fleas. We got them from a friend who's cats had several litters all around the same time. Apparently he wasn't on top of flea control with his cats, so some fleas came home on our babies. We use Frontline, but the fleas always manage to come back despite the fact that they are indoor cats. The nice thing about Frontline is that it's non-toxic to cats (according to our vet) even though it's so expensive.

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is Heartworm caused by all mosquito's or just a specific sub-species?

This is the first time I have heard of it, and I am quite concerned for my cats as we get lots of mozzies over here. Does revolution work as a repellant?

Juli