Revolution etc not safe?

Catsanddogs1238

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I was thinking of giving my 2 year old male persian cat revolution. The reason is vet thinks maybe he has fleas and has an allergy to the fleas (bald spots on belly with black flecks) she says the revolution will kill and prevent fleas if he has them. I have read horrifying things online about people begging those thinking of using it not to because it made their cats ill or even die. I am definitely afraid as my cat is so sensitive. Is there something else that can kill fleas/prevent fleas that is safe? What should I do?

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If used exactly according to instructions and if prescribed by a vet, the chances of problems from using Revolution are low.
Not non-existent but low. Anything can happen in the real world and we can't predict what will happen with all cases but if your vet is involved, you're likely to be in good hands.

If you've got a cat that gets sick because of fleas and there is a medicine that can help get rid of the fleas that make your cat sick, I would go with the medication.

If you've still got worries, talk to your vet and ask questions. Any good vet should be willing to take five minutes to explain things.

If you've STILL got worries, ask your vet if there are any alternative medications that can be used.

I've used Revolution on Casper several times without problems. Even though Casper is a 100% indoor cat, we still get him defleaed in the summer because he sits by the open patio door where other cats come by to visit. If any of those cats have fleas there is a possibility that they can transfer. It might be a remote possibility but we want to be careful not to let fleas into the house because, once fleas get in, they can be hard to eradicate.

My suggestion, beside talking to your vet, would be to insist on a name brand product. There are many generic brands available and I am sure that they are okay but, if there ever is a problem, I would rather have an established, reputable company to talk to instead of some fly-by-night operation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ask your vet, but if they think your cat is allergic to flea bites, you may want to try something else besides Revolution - at least until you know you have gotten rid of the fleas. As far as I know, Revolution works to kill fleas when they bite your cat. I believe Advantage and Frontline work to kill fleas before they bite. While it is entirely possible for some fleas to manage to bite before they die, it would seem it should be a lot less than with Revolution. You also have to look at what parasites are covered by these products, as each is unique in that area.

No product can guarantee they are adverse-free for all cats. All you can do is research the products, to see the likelihood/percentages of cases.

CarmiesMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never used Revolution and am a bit leary of it my self as it dose soo much i mean Fleas Worms Earmites and i think heart worm prevention, My former vet used Provacta 2 on my precious before he passsed from Anemia,but out of 6 cats Royal my big boy ebnded up with a b;ad spot chemichal burn and had a reaction you can see in another post on this part of the forum anyway it wasnt severe and was one cat out of 6 one who had severe Flea Allergy Dermatitis (he was nearly bald with a few open wounds from scratching had had fleas maybe a week or two sence cheep generic stopped working and before i could afford more so yes their can be reactions but not all severe

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently use Revolution on my two because they like to go outside on a harness and I like the mild deworming, flea, etc treatment. No issues with either of them. However, I used to own a cat who was sensitive to chronic chemical exposure. The more he was exposed to a chemical, the more reactive he became. I.E., he became reactive to the rabies vaccine when he was 10 years old and became increasingly reactive thereafter. The same issue with flea products. Revolution gave him the worst reaction - bloody ulcer at the application site. FWIW, when talking to the vet about his skin reactions, they said Advantage Multi is one of the best tolerated by cats.