Revolution did not prevent round worms

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties were dewormed when kittens, and started on revolution monthly since they were16 was. They had diarrhea as kittens but despite a fecal float done on them, and 4 different stool specimens, it always turned out negative. So vet thought just a sensitive stomach.

Well, they are now almost 2 and it was time for annual stool specimen and they were positive for round worms. I was devastated! No signs, except one did not have a real shiner coat and at times did some coughing, thought it was hairballs. I called Revolution and the technician there said ideally, the mo they revolution SHOULD have kilted all roundworms if it was from kittenhood but it did not!

Any suggestions for alternative methods, my guys are strictly indoors, no dogs, and I have heard of cedar oil? Or maybe try advantage multi just during the summer months. I never wanted to give them this mo they and look what happen, it never did what it was suppose to do. I need some help here.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, no, how discouraging.  I've used Revolution on our cats for years so I'm not familiar with other methods. Did your vet have any suggestions for alternative treatments?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, advantage multi but Dr. Karen Becker has a herbal flea spot application has anyone heard of it?

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I've used it but if u read the revolution fine print, I believe it says it "aids in the control of roundworms" in other words it helps but it does not fully deworm. It's most reliable for the ectoparasites like fleas and mites. Also for preventing heartworm.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh...may I ask what you use. My guys are indoors and I daily brush them, just don't know how they got round worm. Is it possible from infected rabbit food I used from hound and Gatos? The old cannery.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I tried an herbal spray for awhile, this one:     The herbal spray wouldn't help with preventing roundworm though of course.  I used it mostly on their bedding because getting it on to four cats regularly was impossible.  

But I needed something that worked on ticks as well so I went back to Revolution. 

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two guys now 2 yrs old have been on revolution since they were kittens. They were fully dewormed but had diarrhea for about 2 months unknown cause as 8 wk led kttens. I have always noticed one had coat issues, dull cat despite fish oil from God vet them, sometimes a cough but he is the groomer so I thought hairballs. Well after monthly treatments for almost 2 yrs of revolution these two indoor Gus have round worms! In January I switched food Hound and Gatos rabbit but then the new cannery issue and you can't get the food anymore. Obviously revolution did not protect them or kill round worms, I have no dogs and am very clean. I am going to switch to advantage multi, anyone heard of a new 3 month spot on recenttlyout? I am sick over this and cannot figure out how in the world they got this unless it was dormant for 2 yrs????anyone

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes to try advantage multi?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ex utero egg of Toxascaris leonina are typically smaller than 70 microns in length (about the thickness of an Human hair), and will be ubiquitous in soil in any locale inhabited by their transport vectors - cats, dogs, foxes, raccoons, mice, voles, moles, shrews - as well as houseflies and just about every beetle and winged insect known.  You only need one, and a dime sized flake of mud or dirt on the bottom of a shoe will quite easily hold - well, the math's easy to do - it works out to about 650 million eggs per square inch.