Revolution and Drontal at the same time?

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all, Happy New Year!

I have a quick question, I hope you can help me with. Two of our cats have severe diarrhea and we took one to the vet yesterday. We were given Drontal for both cats with Revolution.

Can Drontal be used at the same time as Revolution? And is Drontal safe for the most part? Since it is nearly impossible to give them pills I have purchased Pill pockets and hope that that will work... Also is there any food change I can give them that will help stop the diarrhea?
Both cats are really sick and I want to get them well as soon as possible.

Thank you so much for any help!

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it won't cure anything, but boiled chicken and rice can help when they have diarrhea.

Hope they're feeling better soon.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drontal is very safe and effective but it's a huge tablet compared to the size of a cat's neck.  In the UK Milbemax is used a lot by vets now, just as safe and effective but about the size of a few grains of rice.  Unfortunately I gather it's not available in the US.

Do keep checking to make sure neither cat is dehydrated - hopefully you saw the vet do that with the one you took.  If dehydration is setting in, look up 'oral rehydration fluid' on the internet and make some up, and give a teaspoon full every 20 minutes or so until the dehydration is gone.  You trickle it into the side of the cat's mouth.  If the dehydration is bad you should ring the vet and see if they want you to take the cat or cats back in.

Hopefully they will pick up in a day or two.  Are they still eating?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's cats just got a round of Drontal and it wasn't that big. . .I was expecting it to be the size of Tradewinds Tapeworm Tabs but it really was pretty small. Unfortunately I think it tastes bad, at least judging by some of the cats' reactions :tongue2:. I don't know if pill pockets would work unless the cats are the kind that snarf down treats without tasting them. With my mom's cats, we wrapped them up in a blanket (I had to go to her house to help, no way one person could have done it!) and use a pill gun or my fingers, depending on the cat.

Try some canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not spiced pie mix), just a teaspoon or 2. The fiber should firm things up.

I don't really agree with the vet's diagnosis, though. In my experience, worms almost never cause severe diarrhea, except in tiny kittens. I hope the de-wormers will fix them up but I'm not terribly confident.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't like to try to swallow something the size of a Drontal and I'm a lot larger than a cat...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if there's a new formula? These were quite reasonable for a cat pill, I thought. I didn't measure, but maybe 3/8 inch?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still no change in both cats at this point and I am getting worried. Was unable to give the Drontal to one so far and the other got a half in a pill pocket. I did get the Revolution on both of them. 

The diarrhea is still bad and one of the cats bottom is so red.  I did try the rice and chicken but it didn't seem to work. It is so hard to get the cats to the vet for me-(former ferals who hate the carrier) and I am dealing with health issues of my own.I have to work this weekend so I plan to try to get the cats to the vet on Monday but until then any suggestions? They still have appetites and are still drinking water.  Should I take away their food for a while?? Should I give them some yogurt or some sort of probiotic?

Thank you for any help. I just don't understand why the diarrhea is so bad and why it won't stop.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wait - what did the vet say the problem is? Revolution and drontal would treat for heartworm, fleas, round worm, and tapeworm. None of these typically create THAT kind of diarrhea. Are they indoor-outdoor cats? Was a fecal sample sent out to test for giardia, coccidia, T. Foetus, etc.? THOSE could cause that kind of diarrhea, but Revolution OR Drontal wouldn't treat for it. And Drontal additionally treats for round worm too - the combo should be Revolution and Droncit.

If a fecal wasn't sent out to test for those things, I'd get a sample to the vet (no need to take the cat). Of course... if they're indoor only, and aren't recent rescues, it's very unlikely it's any of those things. I assume there was no fever?

What I keep on hand for bouts of diarrhea (thankfully, there haven't been any for a loooong time, knock wood) is a product called DiaGel. If this were me, I'd order it ASAP. This is the product: http://www.revivalanimal.com/DiaGel.html You can read all about it on the site. It was what vets prescribed in place of metronadizole when there was a shortage of the product. It WORKS and is much safer than the antibiotic (IMO).

Vibes for your kitties! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And yes, at this point, I would fast them for 24 hours. I would then feed them boiled chicken and rice, even though it doesn't seem to help - it's a safe, easy-on-the-tummy diet. It may take a little while to help. When we first rescued Chumley, the chicken & rice diet helped his diarrhea go from explosive to at least "just" diarrhea. At least this way you can rule out the food as the source of the problem. :nod: I'd feed it for at least a week.

But I'd order the DiaGel.... and even though it's Friday, and overnight shipping is really expensive, and means it wouldn't be there until Tuesday, I'd consider paying for it overnight.

FYI, it's a brown gel-like stuff that comes in a syringe that you do have to squirt into their mouth. I aim for the back of the cheek. When I had to use it, it did make a couple of the cats vomit, but enough stayed in them to work. It usually only takes 2 doses. If you can afford it, I'd order three or four for each cat, but consider 2 at a minimum.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

egyptian mau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
if the diarrhea is not caused by a bacteria or virus it might be their diet. what kind of diet are they on? is it all wet/soft foods? if so, try switching to dry foods. the only time my cat ever had diarrhea was when I had him on an all wet/soft food diet. may have to ease them into it by mixing 1/2 wet w/the dry food to get them use to the dietary changes. good luck and by all means keep us posted on what worked to resolve the issue. :)

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something to keep in mind - a lot of diarrhea has no discernible cause and disappears as quickly as it comes, so while you're right to try to get to the bottom of it, try not to worry TOO much. 

Also, I don't think I've ever made a cat swallow a pill.  I always grind them up and either mix them with food, or some kind of liquid and squirt it into their mouths.  It's waaaay easier, although some cats will refuse to eat the food.  

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What colour is the diarrhea? Have you taken a sample in for him to test? It could be

Coccidia or Giardia  as stated above. Usually, it will be the colour of cement or yellow/green

and very foul smelling.

What dry food are they on? Have you tried a grain free kibble?

Hope they are feeling better soon :)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... I did try the rice and chicken but it didn't seem to work....
How long did you try it for?  This sort of problem doesn't usually settle down overnight.  I go with the advice to fast them for 24 hours (of course water must be available) and then feed poached chicken and rice for a week or so, and during that time no treats, no food of any other kind.  it's not a balanced diet but for a week it will be OK.