Review: Zoom Groom

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd heard about "Zoom Groom" here on the boards and let me share my approval for this product.

Zoom Groom (by Kong Company) is a large plastic brush that can be used to groom your cat.

Here is a picture:

http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/4260.jpg

The packaging claims "Ecstasy" and I'd agree that Nano thoroughly enjoys the experience. Zoom Groom causes her to roll around and shift her body to increase the amount of contact with the brush. I guess the simplest way to say it...each time I use Zoom Groom, it seems like she is receiving an enjoyable massage! Her reaction ranges from excited to affectionate without any play-bites (nips) to warn me she is becoming over-stimulated.

As for care, the brush did a nice job cleaning out her undercoat. (Nano was matted on some parts of her body when I rescued her, so it is a continuing priority to help her shed away all the dead hair.) Zoom Groom doesn't pick up loose hair as well as a standard grooming brush, but a couple of rubs from my hand and all the stray hairs came off of her. She clearly enjoys Zoom Groom more than the regular brush, and it allows me to groom her for a much longer period of time, so I'd say the Zoom Groom was more effective than the brush we had been using.

I found Zoom Groom at Petsmart for $7. I didn't comparison shop so it might be cheaper elsewhere. The thing doesn't look like much (it is just a piece of plastic), but Zoom Groom is effective and seems very durable. So if you need to groom your cat, or maybe you just need a new interactive toy for your feline, I'd suggest you give Zoom Groom a shot. I recommend it without hesitation.

Anyone else have experiences?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm....looks like soemthing I need for these two. With my husband's allergies keeping them groomed is very important. Thanks for the review!

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of my fuzz-nuts
also love Zoom Groom. I have 2 adult Persians and 2 short-hair kittens...they all love Zoom Groom.

My Persians never loved the metal-type combs and/or brushes but sit very content when I pull out that silly looking Zoom Groom. I thought it was a joke when I first saw it in the store...it's a blue rubbery thing shaped like a cat
On their coats, I was very surprised how well it worked. It really gets to their undercoat without pulling on them and with those large rubber-like teeth on the Zoom Groom, it seems to massage them. For the $7.99 it was well worth it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love the Zoom Groom. I give it my full endorsement. The only drawback is that after some use, it doesn't hold the hair it pulls out very well. So after loosening up hair with the ZG, I use a slicker brush to pick up the loose stuff.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have a (dog) Zoom Groom on every floor, and it's one brush that Jamie loves. I bought two for my mom (two Labs and a cat), and she's still amazed at the amount of hair she gets out with them.

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Zoom Groom for my cats and one for my dog. I love them and so do they. I do find, as was stated in this review, that it's best for loosening the hair and I use a different brush and comb to brush the hair off. It picks up the dog hair much better, probably the type of hair it is. It is a great brush and massager. I highly recommend it.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually it's more like a rubber then plastic. For some reason my cats don't like it but from what I've heard most do. Any other persian owners use it sucessfully? I think there are but I don't remember. One of the problems I have with the Persian's coats is that it takes forever to get much loose, dead hair out. Anyway.... as far as mine not liking it, I think they are just be weird.
I use mine now to get hair off the furniture. Works great!

PS: If you do have a persian (including the Himmie variety) you do need to use more then just a zoom groom to properly groom them and keep them from matting. It's best to have a medium toothed comb, a fine tooth comb (for legs and face) and a softer bristle brush for finishing.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any long-haired cats, but I have used the ZG for some time, and I'm guessing that it might cause discomfort to the more sensitive long-haired cats, because it does kind of "pull" as you run in through the hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mzjazz2u, I think you make some good points.

starlie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kionu absolutely HATES the other types of brushes but he puts up with it so he can get a treat after.
The Zoom Groom is a different story. As soon as he sees it, he sits and purrs until I'm done brushing him. Miko & Sebastian love to get massages with it too.

dangcatsfault

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saw them at the pet store and thought I'd give them a try. But not for grooming. I use them upside down to get the hair off the cat furniture and beds. Works great!!

~Cindy~

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm planning to buy it next spring at the latest, when Buffy's shedding at her worst. I'll see if I can buy it sooner, but she hardly sheds so I don't know how much use it'd get.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fiance's family has one for their dog and he used it on Annabelle once while she was over. She couldn't get enough of it. She absolutely loves the thing. I just saw one at PetSmart and figured I'd buy one soon. Nate said she went nuts over it and purred more than he's ever heard her purr.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just bought it the other night. I havn't had time to give them a real grooming but I did swipe it down Mooch's back once and she really leaned into it.

broken

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought Ozzy a Zoom Groom,but the instant it touched his back he bolted.Maybe he's just a weird kitten,but he hates it.If I pick it up he runs...I dont understand it.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were at Petsmart today, I remembered to look at these. These were the same thing that the foster mom of Max, the long haired cat, said worked best with him. I didn't get one when I got him, because after looking at it I declared that it just couldn't work.

Boy was I wrong! This thing gets hair off of Max like a vacuum cleaner! And at the end of the brushing session I didn't have any new scratches.
I still didn't get all of Max (belly and hind quarters) but it was great to get as much as I did off of him and have no blood (mine) drawn!

4 paws up!

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG - it's the best thing I have ever bought - you think he/she is finished shedding and there is nothing much that can come out anymore - wait till you use it, you'll be amazed Plus LOKI LOVES IT. If he hears me opening the drawer it's in he comes running from the far corners of the house (hehehe)!!!