Review: Kitty Window Perch (FYI only)

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nano has been sleeping on the corner of my bed for the last few months. She would position herself on the edge so she can "stand guard" and look out the window into the backyard area. While this was fine, things started getting crowded...so I decided to get Nano a window perch.

I bought: Kitty Window Perch, by Malibu Pet Products, a fairly large window perch that claims to accomodate up to 25 lbs of cat!

Took me about ten minutes to get it set up and no tools were required. I was actually wondering how to entice Nano to leave her customary spot and move over to the window perch, so I went to the kitchen to get the treats and catnip...five minutes later I come back and Nano is already comfortably snoozing on the brand new perch, like it has been there for months and has always been her domain.

The perch is less than a foot from the bed, so for the past few nights she has still slept "with me" but now she is comfortable on her window perch. This is good if your girlfriend doesn't like cats around all night or whatever.

Nano still does her regular nightly routine -- waits five minutes for human settle into bed, then jumps over to give goodnight headbumps. But now instead of sitting down on the edge of the bed she hops onto her perch. She gets a better view out the window and I've even caught her sunning herself during the day, so I'm really glad I bought this Kitty Window Perch.

So...if you need a window perch, I recommend this product. Wish I had bought it sooner. I saw it at Petsmart for $30 but bought it at Target for $20. And even if I was dubious about the design, it does reliably hold up for a large cat like Nano. And the flat design without edges is her preferred sleeping surface, so everything is working out really well!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the city perch working out so well
I got ours off ebay for 18 bucks with shipping. and am thinking about getting a nother one. we did have to add some leg support but thats because our window is to small. but it works just fine
and currentlyt has three kittens sleeping on it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie has two window perches - one in the kitchen, and one in the living room, and he spends hours on them. The ones we have screw on to the windowsill without damaging it, but are difficult to attach because he have flat radiators directly under the windowsills.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Love those window perches! It did take a bit of adjustment because of an odd size window but Buster & Ashely absolutely love their perch...great bird watching view

[/IMG]

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got one and it fell constantly off the sill (with the cat on it!).
I gave up and order a kitty condo with multiple perches, and put it by the window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, I added it to Catreviews!

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

I got one and it fell constantly off the sill (with the cat on it!).
I gave up and order a kitty condo with multiple perches, and put it by the window.
I've wondered how the perches stay on the window sill. It's hard to tell by looking at pictures. I'm thinking about getting one for my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissCharlotte

I've wondered how the perches stay on the window sill. It's hard to tell by looking at pictures. I'm thinking about getting one for my cats.
Okay, this might take a bit, but let me try to answer the question in your post and the other questions in the message you sent me.

The perch is held in place by a large strip of velcro and metal supports. One half of the velcro strip is on the bottom of the perch, the other half is applied to the window sill.

You attach the metal supports (loosely) and then position the perch over the window sill before bringing the velcro pieces together. Then you adjust the metal supports so they stabilize the perch and fit against the wall. There were plastic tabs on the metal where it touches the wall to prevent damage.

The attached image is a cropped picture from when I scanned the instruction page. Imagine you are laying on your back looking up at the underside of the window sill. The curled pieces of metal go around and press into the wall for leverage. The velcro holds the perch in place, but it is these metal supports that actually hold up the perch under the weight of the cats.

You sent me a link but I don't think that's the same window perch. The actual perch looks close, but the support looks flimsier...hard to explain, but it doesn't seem like it would have as much "give" if a full size cat jumped on or off the perch.

Ask me any questions and I will try to help. I'll also try to look for the same model I bought next time I am in Target.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information. It was very informatiive. I'm sure both of my cats would try to use it at the same time so if I get one, I would definitely want to buy one that would not be flimsy. My 2 cats together would probably weigh about 20 pounds and I know Izzie isn't finishing growing yet.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I was definitely thinking about getting Ollie one when I moved into my apartment, but I ended up putting a bookshelf under the window next to the desk and purposely left the top shelf empty... it's one of his favorite places now!