Reverse Fur Matting?

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, so while I was brushing him... I don't think I was enough and my medium hair cat has mats now and it's snow balling out of control. Does anyone have some suggestions for reversing it? Yes, I AM brushing a lot now, but I can't seem to undo the mats that are there and they are getting worse! Help!!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they get to bad usually the best thing is to shave them out. If your cat will let you, you can buy some shears and do it your self. If not your vet or a groomer can do it. They need to be removed though. I can leave for work in the morning and my cat has no mats. I come home from work and he could have a small one, usually from scratching and in his mane. He use to hate me trying to get them out but, over time he's gotten use to it and doesn't mind. I think he actually understands what I'm doing. If you catch them early they usually pull right out. I have to stay diligent when his winter coat comes in. I have him shaved at the beginning of the summer so I don't have to worry about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, the thought of removing them sounds scary but I need to do it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A comb will work much better on mats than a brush. One with round metal teeth, not too close together, can be worked through some of the mats. Sometimes the mats are not actually attached to the skin any more and are just being held by other fur. In that case just getting the comb close to the skin can help you pull them off. You do need to stabilize the skin with your other hand so it doesn't pull so much.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are mat breaker type combs that work really well on mats that are only in the fur and not that close to the skin. They should be available at places like Petsmart or online.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have a long hair cat, a brush simply won't go thru all of the coat down to the skin. This is why they matt. I also learned this the hard way with my first Persian. Since then I have gotten used to combing with the Greyhound comb. Brushes, if the wrong type, can build static charge in the cat's fur which WILL cause matts.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely use a comb. I prefer the combs with rotating, rounded pins.

They also sell rakes (undercoat rakes) that are marketed mostly for dogs but there are rounded pin rakes (some have rotating pins too) that are gentle and work well on medium and long hair cats to help remove loose undercoat. This can go a long way to preventing mats in the first place. Some have more pointed pins so make sure you buy the rounded pin type if you decide to try one.

For removing mats that already exist there are "dematting combs". Again, they seem to be mostly marketed for dogs but some have rounded "hook" ends and are safer for cats more delicate skin. They won't remove the entire mat but they split it into smaller mats which can then be combed out much easier/gentler. Again, for cats look for the ones with rounded "hooks". Some have "hooks" that are too pointy to safely be used on cats.

Finally, when my long haired Himalayan begins developing some mats despite my daily grooming routine, then a bath goes a long way toward solving that problem. Once a year (sometimes twice) generally does it. Luckily he tolerates it really well (as far as cats go). I realize that a bath is not always a viable option for most cats ... or their owners.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t use a comb. Mats can be painful. Apply olive oil to the top of the mat and if you can get under it down to the skin. I don’t know how it works but it does. The mat will drop out of the fur like a hairball with a day or two. If not, reapply the oil on the third day. You can google matted fur and olive oil if you want more anecdotes or instructions or even a Youtube on how to apply the oil. Be prepared for a large amount of fur to come out though. Once it does, use a cat safe grooming wipe and a grooming brush to remove any remaining oil from the coat. Krista had a mat and this worked same day.