Revaccinate in less than a year, is is dangerous?

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if it will hurt my cat to get vaccinated twice in a year? Long story short, I need proof of vaccination and the easiest way to get it is to just get the shots again. Cat was vaccinated 8 months ago and is roughly a year old.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
According to my vet its ok a couple of weeks before or after its due. Can you ask your vet for advice, he would be best situated to tell you.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give my cat an unnecessary vaccination to obtain paperwork. The risks depend on what the specific vaccine is (you haven't specified which one), but there are always risks with vaccines. Why can't you just obtain paperwork from whoever vaccinated 8 months ago?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give my cat an unnecessary vaccination to obtain paperwork. The risks depend on what the specific vaccine is (you haven't specified which one), but there are always risks with vaccines. Why can't you just obtain paperwork from whoever vaccinated 8 months ago?
It's an extreamly long and confusing story I won't bore you with. I'm going to lose my housing if I can't prove this cat has shots.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It's an extreamly long and confusing story I won't bore you with. I'm going to lose my housing if I can't prove this cat has shots.
Depending on the shot, it is possible to get blood work done to prove that the cat has the relevant antibodies in their system. Why don't you talk to your vet and ask what the possible routes are?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I may be missing the point, but if you know where your cat was vaccinated at, then they would have the paperwork and can provide you with a copy of the necessary records you are looking for. Even if it was 8 months ago, that should suffice and qualify as current vaccinations. A lot of vaccinations are done on a 3-year basis anymore - of course, that depends on where you live.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depending on the shot, it is possible to get blood work done to prove that the cat has the relevant antibodies in their system. Why don't you talk to your vet and ask what the possible routes are?
I need the rabies certification.Nothing else will do and time is very short. It's either vaccinate, get rid of the cat (not an option) or lose home.

Last edited:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The rabies vaccine is not one that I would mess around with.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I may be missing the point, but if you know where your cat was vaccinated at, then they would have the paperwork and can provide you with a copy of the necessary records you are looking for. Even if it was 8 months ago, that should suffice and qualify as current vaccinations. A lot of vaccinations are done on a 3-year basis anymore - of course, that depends on where you live.
landlord believes cat is 3 and hasn't been vaccinated for two years. We will be evicted if they find out we adopted another cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rabies vaccinations are in most locations throughout the US on 3-year cycles now. I guess we don't understand all the details and I don't think you want to share them with us. But, if nothing else you need to consult with your vet about giving another rabies vaccination in less than a year, much less 3 years.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rabies vaccinations are in most locations throughout the US on 3-year cycles now. I guess we don't understand all the details and I don't think you want to share them with us. But, if nothing else you need to consult with your vet about giving another rabies vaccination in less than a year, much less 3 years.
She had the one year vaccine 8 months ago. No vet here does the 3 year vaccine unless you specifically ask for it. They're going to lose money on office visits if you only come in every three years.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
landlord believes cat is 3 and hasn't been vaccinated for two years. We will be evicted if they find out we adopted another cat.
I'm still not understanding why you can't go to the vet who did the vaccination and ask for the documents? And I don't understand what this has to do with adopting another cat.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets will do a titre test to see if a cat has the rabies antibodies in their system. Would it be posisble to explain to the landlord that you can't get the original documents but to present him with the results of the titre test? Getting the results shouldn't take more than a day.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still not understanding why you can't go to the vet who did the vaccination and ask for the documents? And I don't understand what this has to do with adopting another cat.
Because the original documents reveal we got her as a kitten and not as an adult. We are not allowed to adopt more pets and we did anyway because she was dumped. We gave the landlord the records for a cat we rescued in 2017 and found a home for. We are not allowed to adopt kittens and puppies, we are not allowed to add any more animals to our household. We have to have proof of shots to reside here. These are specific forms they are requesting, proof of blood work will not work .

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
You said that the landlord thinks your cat hasn't been vaccinated in 2 years. Can you maybe explain to him that the rabies vaccine is good for 3 years? Maybe you can say that you took him to the vet to get vaccinated but they said to wait another year because the vaccine lasts 3 years. You could even get them to do a titre test to prove that it's still active?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think A Azazel has got a good point. If the titre test shows antibodies that should be good enough, if it doesn't then it should be ok to have the shot.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think A Azazel has got a good point. If the titre test shows antibodies that should be good enough, if it doesn't then it should be ok to have the shot.
Test results will not suffice. They are requesting a very specific form. Saying the cat had a 3 year vaccination will not work because I don't have the certificate to prove that. Think of it like a dog license. One you got 3 years ago is not acceptable, you have to get one every year. I need the proof of vaccination form and it can't be for a kitten.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I don't know what to tell you then. You've got yourself in quite a pickle. It's unfortunate that the kitten has to potentially be at risk of the adverse effects of having too many rabies shots in a short period of time. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with risking the health of my cat in this situation.

cookiebun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I don't know what to tell you then. You've got yourself in quite a pickle. It's unfortunate that the kitten has to potentially be at risk of the adverse effects of having too many rabies shots in a short period of time. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with risking the health of my cat in this situation.
You aren't kidding that I got my self in a pickle. No good deed goes unpunished. We are down to risking the cat's health or putting her back out side or losing our lease. From what I've read it's common for shelters and rescue organizations to automatically vaccinate even with proof of previous shots. I'd rather take a chance on the shots than dump her out again. If we lose our apartment she'll be out of a home anyway. We can't find anyone to take her because she's not a very nice cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you were trying to do the right thing by rescuing this kitten. I honestly don't know why you can't at least ask your vet about re-vaccinating 8 months later without having to go into a full explanation. Or, just get the titre done on the kitten, find out whether or not another vaccination can be done. At the very, very minimum, you need to have a better understanding of what damage might be done to the kitten before you decide to take your chances with it's health/life.