Returning to the forum after 2 years and losing 3 of our cats

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over the past 18 months we have lost 3 of our cats: Bonnie, Clyde and Lexi. Bonnie and Clyde lost their battles with cancer. Lexi had multiple medical issues and they finally caught up to her at the age of 15.

Loki has lymphoma. He is receiving Chlorambucil and Prednisolone. He is doing well, and this treatment has been shown to extend cats lives for over 2 years.

The good news for us is that our daughter graduated from Iowa State School of Veterinary Medicine this year. She is doing a 3 year residency at North Carolina State which is only a couple of hours away from us.

We have really debated about getting another cat or cats. Loki is 14 and has definitely slowed down. We don't know how he would get along with a new cat. For now we think we will let Loki enjoy his solo status.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:welcomeback1:

our daughter graduated from Iowa State School of Veterinary Medicine this year
WOW
this is fantastic, and congratulations to her!!

For now we think we will let Loki enjoy his solo status.
I personally agree with this assessment, 100%.

RIP to all your other babies :redheartpump::redheartpump::rbheart::redheartpump::redheartpump: :hugs:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loki is a 14-year-old unless he is a welcoming to new cat type, it is best not to stress Loki at that age.

RIP for the three others. It is wonderful you gave them a good life. And now your daughter is a vet. That is truly awesome!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome back!
it's so hard to have to let our little ones go. I thank God they had you to love them and give them a family. They will always be tied to your soul.
They are all at peace because they have your love. They live on now through your beautiful memories. Go forward into the future and live it like you would have wanted for them to go if you were the first to go. Those precious babies are all reunited now, they will continue to send their love and to receive yours. Always remember "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".
If Loki isn't feeling the greatest it would not be a good idea to bring a room mate home. But on the flip side, he may miss his little family too. You would know more than anyone if he would like excitement brought into his life. I would suggest TWO kittens to give him a zest for life. They would play with each other and hopefully leave him alone. Kittens are more readily accepted by older cats. A lone kitten would bug him too much. I think an older cat would stress him out too much. He could get high up on a perch and watch what is going on. good luck in no matter what.
Take care of that beautiful boy, Loki, you have left, and yourselves. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.......Rip dear Bonnie, Clyde, and Lexi. You will never be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you all, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friends, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

First, I am so, SO sorry for your losses! I know you are heartbroken. I tend to agree, let Loki be an only, unless he is visibly moping and unhappy as an only. In that case, perhaps look for another older cat, someone quiet and settled.

Congratulations on your daughter's remarkable achievement! I wish she were close enough for me to take my girl to, but, alas I am on the other side of the state, near the coast.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome back, though I'm sorry to hear about the loss of three of your beautiful babies. It's hard to lose them within a short amount of time like that.

We are in a similar situation-- a 13 year old with lymphoma. So tough watching them go through that. I hope Loki still has many good days ahead of him. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who replied with your kind thoughts. It has been a difficult time.