Returning A Foster Kitten?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not sure what to do? I'm fostering two kittens, the one with the broken leg has to stay in his own room to limit his activity and his brother is just way to hyper and plays too rough to let them hangout now. I've had to keep them separate. The one with the broken leg just cries and cries, so loud I worry my neighbors will complain but mostly it makes me so sad for him and I'm thinking a different living situation might be more beneficial for him emotionally. I was thinking about asking the rescue I'm fostering for if they have another foster willing to foster him, someone who doesn't have as much going on as me without as many other animals as me. I think the little guy hears my dogs and the other cats and that makes him cry more. I feel bad, he is so sweet and when I go in there he cries until I hold him and pet him, I make sure on my days off to make time for him to give him love. On days I work I feel really bad cause I just don't have the time to go in there and give him attention. Is it wrong of me to ask the rescue this? I mean I'll keep fostering him for sure if they don't have anyone, I have the space. But he just cries and cries. Feel bad for the little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Als want to add... if I put him in a crate and put him in the living room with us, he still cries cause he just wants to be pet or play. I have also tried holding him while I'm on the couch so he can feel like part of the crew and not be alone, but he almost jumped off the couch twice and luckily I caught him in mid air both times. So back to the room he went.
I have tried different things to try and help him but nothing seems to work.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would definitely let the rescue know what's going on. They know that different kitties have different needs. They may have the perfect foster situation for the poor little guy. Even if there is no one available immediately they can at least be looking.

In the meantime, you might try a baby sling. That way you could carry him around with you and he'd still be contained. Of course you may have a Houdini on your hands, in which case nothing will contain him for long. :hyper::seesaw:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not wrong to ask the rescue whether they have a better situation for this little guy; it's the loving thing to do.

Your thinking is a bit mixed up here, understandably so.
  • Yes, it's more work fostering a kitten with special needs. This goes in the category of thinking about yourself.
  • Yes, the kitten feels bad hearing all the other animals having fun when he can't join in. This goes in the category of thinking about the kitten.
You were and are quite willing to take on the extra work, so that's not what's driving your decision. What you don't like is putting a kitten in the position of feeling left out when his brother and the other animals are being their normal, playful selves. If the rescue has a home where this kitten would be happier while he heals, the loving thing to do is to put him in that home, and allowing undeserved guilt to drive your decision would be wrong, both for you and for the kitten.

Margret

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for your responses, made me feel better. I just want him to be happy and not lonely and he has about 2 1/2 weeks until he gets the splint off and depending on the outcome of that it could be longer. I contacted the rescue an hour ago and left a message, haven't heard back yet. Really hope there is someone out there with the "perfect" foster situation for him, he is just so very sweet and it makes me so sad and I do feel guilty.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still haven't gotten a response from the rescue. I'm beyond frustrated and so is this kitten. The rescue has an appt to come into my work today, I'm hoping on if the owners of the rescue is coming and not a foster so I can talk to them. His crying has gotten even worse if that's even possible and while I feel so bad for him the insistent crying is so loud is stressing me out. Just don't know what to do. Taking the little guy into work with me so my vet can take a look at his bandage. I feel like I'm loosing my mind and I'm sure the kitten feels the same way, breaks my heart.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any space at the vet's office, an extra kennel, where he could stay? Maybe there would be more people around to hold him and pet him frequently? Or, depending on your office setup, it may be more noisy and frightening for the little guy. :alright: Hard to say.

Hopefully the rescue has a quiet place at a foster, maybe a retired person who's home a lot. :vibes:

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So turns out he is very happy being at our vet office in one of the cages, going to see about having him stay there as long as there is room, until he can be around his brother again. I'm even trying to get them to make him out new office cat but that probably won't fly lol. He is getting a lot of attention here at work and he hasn't been crying, I even made him some toys that he is playing with right now lol. Hopefully this might work.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So happy! So he is going to another foster home where he can stay till he recovers and then he can come back to me. He was so happy at the hospital today, I brought him up front with me and he got so much attention! He is such a love. I wish I could foster to adopt him but I can't have 3 kittens under 5 months old, ugh.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AND.... think I might have found the munchkin a forever home!! The girls and I had him up front with us at the reception desk and a client fell in love!!! Just had to share, hope this works out! Yay!!