Return to the colony after enucleation

floofy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone
I recently had a 4 month kitten in my colony spayed and an enucleation was carried out, he has had no sight in one eye since birth and it was slowly getting worse. He is currently in my home and is recovering very well, for various reasons it is very difficult for me to adopt him, or to get him adopted out. My question is it very cruel to return him to the colony, and at what point is that no longer possible. He has finished his meds, ideally he would be adopted to a home with other cats (he needs other cats) but I just cant see that happening where I live. He is a friendly little chap, just lonely at the moment.

Any thoughts appreciated.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might put his story on Facebook if it is available, I have had many good people step up on there. I put on there the other day about a lost dog that showed up and three people offered to adopt him. If you exhaust all avenues of adopting him out, it would be alright to return him to his colony, just don't wait too long so they forget him. he would have a MUCH better life being adopted, but sometimes you just have to do with what you have. At least he would have friends and get fed at the colony. my heart goes out to you, bless you for caring for that little boy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would try really hard to find an alternative placement for him as he will be at a disadvantage outdoors. Some of this is impacted by your location of course. Do you have a lot of predators? If you have a very established colony, I agree that he might be safe with them if there are no other options. Time frame is crucial to this as was pointed out. Once the colony cats forget him and he becomes an intruder, he will have a very hard time surviving.