Rethinking Neuter

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
He is gorgeous and I waaaaaaaaaaaaant your playpen. He should be fine. My girl's surgery was much more involved and she wanted to be back with the rest of the family right away. She wanted to wrestle and play with the other pets (puppies) before she was supposed to, but I took the spay and neuter clinic's advice to just do the best I could.

Community (feral) cats usually do just fine with only a few days of crate rest after they are TNR'd. Our furbabies come from strong stock.

I have absolutely no vivid memories of Franklin's neuter or any details about my dear departed girl cats' spays. They seriously handle it so much better than dogs do.

I'm so glad it's over with. There is no controversy whatsoever about neutering pet cats, to the best of my knowledge, only about the optimal and ideal time to perform the surgery. Willow's caregiver would not release her to me until I could provide proof that she would be spayed no matter what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is gorgeous and I waaaaaaaaaaaaant your playpen. He should be fine. My girl's surgery was much more involved and she wanted to be back with the rest of the family right away. She wanted to wrestle and play with the other pets (puppies) before she was supposed to, but I took the spay and neuter clinic's advice to just do the best I could.

Community (feral) cats usually do just fine with only a few days of crate rest after they are TNR'd. Our furbabies come from strong stock.

I have absolutely no vivid memories of Franklin's neuter or any details about my dear departed girl cats' spays. They seriously handle it so much better than dogs do.

I'm so glad it's over with. There is no controversy whatsoever about neutering pet cats, to the best of my knowledge, only about the optimal and ideal time to perform the surgery. Willow's caregiver would not release her to me until I could provide proof that she would be spayed no matter what.
Thank you! The playpen is from amazon. This is great to know. Thanks!

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy. It will be ok to leave him wander around as long as you are there to supervise and stop him if he starts to lick.
Thank you! Okay perfect I'll let him roam for a bit tonight poor little guy. He stares at me with sad eyes as if to say why am I being punished lol!

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its 2 am and I heard my cat meowing in his playpen hes been great in there so far therefore I thought it was odd. He had diarrhea that went on his tail/paw and all over his butt. I was able to wash off the paw and tail area but not the butt. I bought him some new treats hes never had before they are beef liver 1 ingredient and I've been giving him 4 a day. Could the diarrhea be from the treats or a symptom of the neuter? He eats well and has been acting normal. Now hes sleeping. My vet is closed tomorrow.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the treats or the anesthetic but it could also be the stress of it all. Try to clean the operation area as best you can and no treats unless it's plain chicken. If you are able, let him out as much as possible today, supervised and see if he bothers the area.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be the treats or the anesthetic but it could also be the stress of it all. Try to clean the operation area as best you can and no treats unless it's plain chicken. If you are able, let him out as much as possible today, supervised and see if he bothers the area.
I havent been able to sleep I'm quite worried about him as he keeps pacing back and forth now. Okay I'm going to let him out right now for a bit he does seem stressed. I won't give anymore treats and will try the boiled chicken breast instead. Thanks for replying!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most males are almost fully healed after 3-4 days, so he probably is feeling restless.

I doubt the diarrhea is related to the anesthetic at this point, so probably it is the treats, or the stress brought on by being confined. Hopefully it's just a one-time blowout. Poor him, and poor you, diarrhea in a fluffy cat is a terrible mess!

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh okay yes hes been very aggressive and now weve decided to just leave him be. That makes me feel better. Today I have been giving him a lot of water mixed in with rawz shredded chicken canned food. His stomach isnt gurgling anymore the way it was around 2 am. Lol yes I am now thinking of getting a lion cut done on him once hes healed ;) Today he heard a bag opening and almost busted through the mesh of the playpen hes in ... thought it was his treats lol.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He still loves you!!! He'll still be cute with the lion cut and after following this thread, I agree completely that his health and comfort is more important than < gulp > all that gorgeous floof.
I feel bad he looks so depressed lol but I know the neuter is for his benefit. Yes I want him to be healthy and happy i dont care if his fur is long or short. I had actually asked the vet to shave his full belly/groin area/butt area but the butt area was still long but it's okay I'll do the lion cut once hes healed. Hes actually happy right now because I put a little ball in the playpen. Do you think it's normal for the incision to have dried blood?