Rethinking Neuter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I am rethinking having my male indoor 7 week old kitten neutered on Thursday. I dont understand what health benefits it has on him personally. I know it will stop him from breeding but I dont want to let him go outside or be around female cats anyway. Should I or not! Thanks

Last edited:

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For one, it will prevent testicular cancer. Can't get cancer there if he doesn't have any!

Another benefit is behavioral, and this is for both of you. First, living with an intact tomcat can be very stressful. Spraying is likely to become a problem (not all spray but many do), and he'll be wanting to find a mate... possibly yowling and making a scene when he can't. So neutering him will make him more pleasant to live with.

Also try to think of it from the cat's perspective. If left intact, he will want to breed, very, very much. And he will never get that opportunity, so he'll just be left frustrated by his hormones all the time. If you neuter him, he will never know what he missed. He can just focus on being a happy cat, and not on trying to find a ladycat.

Neutering is a very safe procedure and most cats bounce back very quickly.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's almost always extremely difficult to live indoors with a mature tomcat. Even if they don't spray (and many will), the urine odor is considerable and kitty litter won't cover it. Even if they don't howl and try to escape (and most will), they'll be restless and impatient during mating season. Make sure you know what you're choosing before it's too late. Make sure you're committed to keeping him despite those behaviors, because most shelters automatically put down mature toms.

If you're just worried about pediatric neuter, you can wait until he's 8-10 months old; most haven't started naughty tomcat behaviors by then, and even if they start before that, they haven't gone on long enough to become habit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you so much to everyone who took time to respond. I had no idea how important a neuter could be. I thought it was just so he couldnt have babies and thought it was cruel because of the pain he will feel during recovery. However after reading how it can prevent cancer, prevent spraying, prevent him from wanting to escape and especially I do not want him to feel stressed that he wants to mate I didnt know it is that bad for cats. I feel so much better now knowing this is the best for him and in case he does one day run away (hope not) wont get lady cats pregnant. You are all so informative thank you! I feel more secure now about my decision.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When cats are in full hormone rage, they will do anything to escape and sow their oats.
Your cat will likely escape at some point. And then he will be responsible for adding to the pool of unwanted kittens.
Please don't add to the problem.
Spay and neuter.
I'm not anti spaying/neuter but this point is silly. Any responsible animal owner can keep their animals indoors regardless of left intact or not, or they shouldn't even have an animal to begin with. Posting health benefits is enough reason to go though with said procedure; rather than myth and suspicion. I've cared for intact cats for years, fixed cats as well. None have escaped under my care regardless of determination.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not anti spaying/neuter but this point is silly. Any responsible animal owner can keep their animals indoors regardless of left intact or not, or they shouldn't even have an animal to begin with. Posting health benefits is enough reason to go though with said procedure; rather than myth and suspicion. I've cared for intact cats for years, fixed cats as well. None have escaped under my care regardless of determination.
Even responsible pet owners can have cats escape though. I think saying “your cat will definitely 100% get out at least once” is a little much but it is a valid point that even if you plan to keep your cat indoors, they’re much faster and more agile than we are and can sneak past inadvertently, and if that does happen then you have another issue if your cat isn’t fixed.

OP, in addition to what everyone else said neutering is also a very simple easy procedure as far as surgeries go. Kittens bounce back quickly, he’ll be up and back on his feet in no time afterward.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you so much to everyone who took time to respond. I had no idea how important a neuter could be. I thought it was just so he couldnt have babies and thought it was cruel because of the pain he will feel during recovery. However after reading how it can prevent cancer, prevent spraying, prevent him from wanting to escape and especially I do not want him to feel stressed that he wants to mate I didnt know it is that bad for cats. I feel so much better now knowing this is the best for him and in case he does one day run away (hope not) wont get lady cats pregnant. You are all so informative thank you! I feel more secure now about my decision.
Its extremely important...I had my boy fixed when he was a kitten...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YAY! You're going to have him neutered! That's wonderful news. Once the (short) recovery is over, he'll be a MUCH happier, healthier cat, and you won't need to be worrying about spraying and general uncut tomcat antics! DO consider having him microchipped when the surgery is done. Even though you plan for him to be indoor-only, that chip can be a life-saver in cases of burglary, fire, and other emergency situations!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering him will stop him from spraying or yowling at the door or window. Health wise, its a toss. The risk of getting certain cancers will drop after neutering but the risk of obesity and unitary tract infections will go up.

If you do decide to neuter him, why not wait until he is 8-9 months old? That will greatly decrease his chances of getting infections. I personally think seven weeks is a little too young.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I am rethinking having my male indoor 7 week old kitten neutered on Thursday. I dont understand what health benefits it has on him personally. I know it will stop him from breeding but I dont want to let him go outside or be around female cats anyway. Should I or not! Thanks
I had my boy neutered when he was a little kitten...he bounced back fine...Hes 11yrs now

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering him will stop him from spraying or yowling at the door or window. Health wise, its a toss. The risk of getting certain cancers will drop after neutering but the risk of obesity and unitary tract infections will go up.

If you do decide to neuter him, why not wait until he is 8-9 months old? That will greatly decrease his chances of getting infections. I personally think seven weeks is a little too young.
Yea my VET wont neuter them too young..

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I meant 7 month old! The vet said by 6 months is a great time to do it. She also said it's not as critical for cats as it is for dogs during our first every appointment so I was confused. I'll do my best to comfort him during recovery but after reading everyones comments I realize how important it is. Weight gain I will control with food. My friend just got a kitten and is also on the fence about neutering her I'm gunna show her this thread!

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YAY! You're going to have him neutered! That's wonderful news. Once the (short) recovery is over, he'll be a MUCH happier, healthier cat, and you won't need to be worrying about spraying and general uncut tomcat antics! DO consider having him microchipped when the surgery is done. Even though you plan for him to be indoor-only, that chip can be a life-saver in cases of burglary, fire, and other emergency situations!
Yes he will be microchipped I think the vet said they have a new microchip where they can read his temperature instead of putting the thermometer in the rear. Thank goodness for this site. Wish more people with cats knew about it lol.