Rethinking Neuter

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to have a litter tray to use. Feed him a little food if he will eat it. By tomorrow the anesthetic should have worn off and he should want food.
As long as his litter is clean there shouldn't be a problem. Eating food try a small amount first then give more if he wants it.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also he seems to be able to reach the incision when he lifts his back leg. However I dont want to further traumatize him and bring him back to the vet tmrw! What should I do?
Try to distract him from licking to much. If he's persistent you might need to cone him. But it's not unusual for them to want to clean that area.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more question LOL. He has not ate or drank anything all day. I have to give him his pain medication (liquid syringe) at 7 pm. Should I give him food around 9 pm? Afraid he will vomit the medicine since he has nothing in his stomach.
He's still under the effects of the anesthetic and is feeling dizzy and confused, he'll eat when the drug has worn off, usually 24 hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try to distract him from licking to much. If he's persistent you might need to cone him. But it's not unusual for them to want to clean that area.
He has long fur and I noticed this morning he has dried poop stuck on his behind. I tried to remove it with a warm wash cloth but it's quite stuck and he bit me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then why are they suggesting that urinary tract infections are more common in male cats who are neutered at a very young age?
Who's suggesting that?
Anyway we should probably move this discussion to a different thread.

I'd give him his litterbox. Why not let him dig? And let him lick the incision a bit, enough to clean it, but if he starts biting/chewing at it or licking obsessively, he may need a cone.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have read that you can put shredded newspaper in his litter box for a few days if you are concerned about the risk of infection from the dust.

I have a girl cat and was able to wait until she was six months old to have her spayed. She didn't even seem to notice that she'd had major abdominal surgery.

Pediatric vs traditional spay/neuter is a much bigger issue with dogs, but also controversial and quite worthy of a respectful debate in the appropriate social forum.
Who's suggesting that?
Anyway we should probably move this discussion to a different thread.

I'd give him his litterbox. Why not let him dig? And let him lick the incision a bit, enough to clean it, but if he starts biting/chewing at it or licking obsessively, he may need a cone.
Oh okay so it's fine if he licks a bit to clean it. Okay thank you. He has a cone but he keeps taking it off and the skin around his neck is red. He has poop stuck on his butt do you think it's okay to just leave it there lol.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh okay so it's fine if he licks a bit to clean it. Okay thank you. He has a cone but he keeps taking it off and the skin around his neck is red. He has poop stuck on his butt do you think it's okay to just leave it there lol.
Clean the poop off, it may irritate his skin, besides it is bad to see.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you can't bathe him yet (usually it's 10 days post-op), but if you can get it off with a baby wipe or something, yeah, do it. You don't want him going around all poopy. But if you can't get it off without a full bath, well, that's just how it is.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like the others have said try a wipe or cutting it from his fur while he's asleep hopefully you won't get bitten again ;)

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, you can't bathe him yet (usually it's 10 days post-op), but if you can get it off with a baby wipe or something, yeah, do it. You don't want him going around all poopy. But if you can't get it off without a full bath, well, that's just how it is.
He has very long fur and it is all rolled up into his air (very close to his testicles) so I'm afraid to cut it! It wont come off with a baby wipe. Maybe I can ask the vet.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can you maybe cut off with scissors the piece of fur with the poop, when he's deeply asleep? I wouldn't want it be next to the incision
It is very close to his testicles and he has long fur. It's all curled up in the fur and very close to the skin. I'm afraid to hurt him. Might ask the vet.

ModernCatLady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: My amazing friend was able to help me and we cut the poop out. As soon as we did that he went into the litterbox and pooped LOL.