Retained bottom deciduous teeth kitten

pixeldexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten Jaxson has retained deciduous teeth in his bottom row. Where there should be 6 teeth, they appear to be staggered.

He eats normally and isn’t causing any damage to his upper palate. His bite doesn’t appear off either.
What can be done, if anything, by the vet besides extracting the baby teeth?

Can they be left as-is with the warning to need to brush them to prevent plaque build up?

Attachments

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a good idea to have them removed. The bite issues, etc. can develop over time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know if it would apply to a kitten, but sometimes 'baby teeth' in humans will loosen over time and fall out on their own. Has the vet suggested this might be the case for Jaxson? You can always ask the vet what a safe time line would be to wait to remove them and still avoid a bite issue down the road. And, also ask if 'wiggling' them frequently might help loosen them up any. Again, I have no idea whether or not this would work in cats like it can in humans. Just throwing it out there...

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our two new kittens (6months) has multiple teeth that were doubled up. Vet told us to keep an eye on them to see if they fall out. Or we would have to get them pulled. It can cause decay for them later on. Thankfully their baby teeth fell out. Best to just go with what the vet recommends.