"Restraining jacket" while medicating?

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old outdoor/indoor cat has been twitching her right ear the past 3 days. From what I've read it's probably mites or an infection. Her every three month Bravecto pill for ticks and fleas was due in a couple of weeks so I gave it to her yesterday as I read that although the Bravecto packaging only mentions ticks and fleas, a test I saw online claimed Bravecto was very good at killing certain types of mites also. Another long shot was that I changed her diet yesterday to a Hill's Prescription Diet food that I give to another cat.

Although I can pick the cat up she won't let me near her ear so I can't see in there. I'm almost certain I'll be taking her to the Vet. If the Vet prescribes ear drops I don't see how I'm going to be able to drop them in.

Maybe someone can suggest some sort of 'restraining jacket' I can buy so I can keep the cat under control for a few seconds while I give her ear drops if necessary? I'd also appreciate any other thoughts on the situation.

Thanks,

Tom

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a “grooming bag” that you can purchase online that you zip the whole cat into and then, if grooming, you unzip the portion you are working on. But it also keep a cat more under control if you need to do something like their ears. I would recommend a muzzle as well so you don’t get bit.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swaddle the cat in a towel like you would a baby. All paws wrapped tightly inside the towel so they look like a burrito. You can maneuver them any which way and they can't move to fight you.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swaddle the cat in a towel like you would a baby. All paws wrapped tightly inside the towel so they look like a burrito. You can maneuver them any which way and they can't move to fight you.
I got a job for you :flail:
Our "pilling" method: Stand cat up from behind by holding front legs just under armpits. Another person behind that person holding rear legs at ankles. And me in front dealing with mouth, teeth, and a pill. This way everybody can "give" a little while holding on. If there was no give/movement....he would break his own legs trying to get free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all. I brought her to the vet and they treated her with KC Oto-Pack for an ear infection.