Restless kitten suddenly meowing whenever I leave her?

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So ever since I’d say last week, Oreo has been meowing a lot though the day and loudly. I’ve had her since early March now since she was about 6-8 weeks old and she has never been this vocal before and Nugget and her have always been very quiet, only vocal when they saw their food. Every time I go to my room (we have an screen door in front because my allergist recommended me to not have the kittens in my room for my allergies and I also keep it closed during school hours) Oreo meows a lot and even when we think she is asleep, I go upstairs and she will wake up from her short lived “nap” and meow for me or my mom and we honestly don’t know if it’s a new personality trait or if it’s a behavior one, if it’s normal, and why the sudden change, you know?

I haven’t been able to fully cat proof my room since I have so many wires and I need to reorganize my stuff. But I don’t mind them being in there in the day to just chill out with me being that my allergies have been getting better. The vet says they’re fine and healthy so I don’t think it’s a medical related issue, maybe an attention one?

Also, Nugget my second kitten has also begun to meow more and climb the screen door like halfway up like yesterday when I was taking a shower. But she doesn’t meow as often as Oreo does. When I’m in school I can’t attend to their needs like playing or giving them attention but when I can, I come to them when they’re finally quiet and pet them and give them chin scratchies. I often ignore them during the morning-afternoon though because of school and my un-catproofed room. I read that attending to their every meow makes them learn that meowing for however long will get them your attention even if it’s like 3am in the morning (I need my sleep lol). Does anyone else have a similar issue or know why this happens in kittens/cats?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was my first thought, as well. This may just be hormones, and the sooner spayed, the better. The other thought is that she just flat wants to be with you.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If my math is correct they are still under 4 mts old and this is normal for that age. So young personalities are developing and changing. It's still too soon to know if she will be a lifelong talker. I've heard of kittens going into heat as young as 4mt so like Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 said get spay/neutering if not already done.

At this age they will nap for shorter periods and full of energy when awake. Think toddler/young child. Get your kitten proofing completed. They will want to get into everything. Set up play areas to keep them busy. Empty boxes with holes in the side are great.

You're right giving attention for meowing could make it happen more. Eventually they will adapt to the schedule you set but it could be a while until they learn to not bounce on you at 3am.

Do you have dry kitten food out for free feeding?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they spayed?
No they’re not spayed yet. They have a vet appointment coming up soon so I’ll bring that up to him though.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age they probably just want to be able to be with you if they want...... though you should get them spayed in the next month.

I have a talker. Ignoring him did NOT work! What did work was calling him to me when he meowed. Think of it like Marco Pollo. The kitten meows & you call Marco a few times. My automatic response to his meowing is “what?”

You can also try leaving your bedroom door open when you shower. My cat sits in the bathroom next the shower while I shower, every time!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get your kitten proofing completed. They will want to get into everything.
EVERYTHING. Even things you are certain that they can't reach. IF your blind/curtain cords are connected at the bottom, CLIP THEM NOW! We have heard more than one horror story of a small kitten hanging themselves on a blind cord.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the phone cord chewing & curiosity about under the dishwasher & fridge was bad when the minions were kittens!!! I wound up putting wadded up paper towels soaked in stinky orange cleaner under the dishwasher twice-three times a week. I think lemon oil would work to (& be safer.)

Little kittens can squeeze under some doors! They are light enough to climb up anything like little ninjas; using their claws like mountain climbing spikes! They get into things you could never dream of! My advice? Kitten proof one room and contain the kitten in that room when you are not awake & around to supervise.

I had one kitten (4 week old) that I found meowing for help as they hung from one paw off a 5 foot tall bookshelf edge!!! One kitten loved to chew cords of all kinds (cord protectors.) One kitten escaped outside into the backyard for a half hour! Another kitten figured out how to pry open thd cabinet doorsunder the sink & got dangerously close to my cleaning supplies (move them to the garage or get baby proofing stuff for your cabinets.) They give you gray hairs!

When he was around 8 months old, Jackie chewed through the bungee cord of a wand toy that was knotted at one end. It took him 2.5 days to pass it (with a laxative!) Cami & Jackie will eat/chew on any & all plastics. Ziplock bags taste good to them.🙄 They chew on the shrink wrap around plastic water bottles! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Lay on the floor and crawl around to see what is in their line of sight. Look under beds, dressers, behind & under stuff. Get rid of or store in sealed plastic tubs all yarn, string, rubber bands, plastic bagss, wand toys with strings etc. Then remember they are young, highly energetic & can fit in almost anything until they turn 4-5 months old..... especially when 6-12 weeks old. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I didn’t know to snip the cords to blinds but I did tape the ends to the of the blinds & along the side of the wall, so they couldn’t play with it.

The toy/cord he chewed through

ACA3A980-8874-42CB-8CDB-B3FCB6D7E9A0.jpeg