rest in peace, vinny

melonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi! it's been awhile since i've been here. i had made a thread months ago about my blocked cat, vinny.

unfortunately he had an incident last night and we had to take him into the emergency vet - a reblock i still don't really know the cause of. she said it likely wasnt crystals because of the food, but maybe an inflammation problem. the vet said the lowest they could do was 800 to treat him for the night and send him home. she said there was not a very good prognosis for him in that case.

i had asked if it was possible that i could adopt him out and she said it would be unlikely that he'd be approved for it due to his recurring flutd. she said in the kindest way possible that the best course of action to minimize his pain would be to let him go - no more expensive treatments, medication, in and out vet visits for him, etc.

she took me into a room with him and gave me as much time as i needed with him. she said he was still himself, usually when cats are brought in for a blockage they're lethargic and aren't themselves, but he was himself until the end. she connected his iv, he crawled onto my legs and i held him to my chest. she sedated him, i kissed him goodbye and it was over. he died in my arms with my kisses on his forehead.

he was my first cat, he lived to be 6 - almost 7 years old. he had gotten into a lot of fights, i nursed him every time. he worried me constantly, and a part of me is relieved that he's not in pain anymore. im thankful he was in my life. he taught me a lot about cats and what it takes to have one. i could go on and on about my regrets but i won't because there's nothing fun about that.

i'm the most thankful i got to be with him until the very end. i'm so thankful that i got to hold him close. most of all i'm just thankful that i got to grow up with him, from when i was 14 to now, when i'm 19. i would have liked to see him be an old man, but not if it was going to be a life of the looming possibility of another expensive, deadly blockage. he was a fighter. the first vet said there was a 50% chance he wouldn't make it out of the initial treatment, but he did. I'm glad i got 9 more months to spend with him. i knew the possibility would be over my head for the rest of his life, and it worried me. i didn't want him to be in pain, i didn't want him to die in pain and i'm glad he didn't. the nurses and vets were amazingly sweet throughout the entire thing. my grandfather is helping me pay for the rest of his cremation and euthanasia tomorrow, so i'll be getting his ashes and i'll be able to put them next to my other kitties ashes. they liked to sleep together so i think he'd like that.

i don't like saying goodbye so i won't! i love you very very very much vinny. you'll always be my baby boy and i'm excited to see you at the rainbow bridge again when the time comes. here's one of my favorite pictures of him sleeping on me <3

1601621890882.png

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for your pain.....the world is a little emptier now without him in it, the bond you formed over those years will help you in your time of mourning. Don't ever let go of the fact that love is spiritual, so eternal. He will be as close as your thoughts and prayers. It's so hard for someone at nineteen to comprehend the permanence of death. When you foresee your own life stretching out in front of you, it's almost impossible to see it without Vinny in it. I'm sorry you have to go through this at such a young age.
I'm also glad he did not have to suffer. He had something that was not going to go away, it would have reduced his life to existing, not truly living. You gave him the ultimate act of love, you took away his pain and took it on as your own in the form of a broken heart. It takes a long time to heal a broken heart. Often it is a matter of getting through the next day, the next hour, the next minute. But you are strong too, you are also a fighter. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, so he wants for you. For you to go on in life and live every day to it's fullest, not in grieving and tears, that is not the way it is meant, but seeking the joys and happiness that living and loving can bring. That is love.
One of the greatest gifts he gave you was love, you opened your heart to him and he to you. He shared your life's journey for a while, and look what he gave you. Although he now follows another road, his tiny soul will always be tied to your own through love. Try not to cry because he left, but smile because he was there.......
He would like nothing better than for you to add on to his love in the future, to help it grow even more by opening your heart to another little one who so desperately needs someone to love. Like a mother with several children, you can love just as strongly, although differently, each and every blessing that shares your life. New loves can never replace the old, they stand side by side and draw strength from each other. He leaves you his legacy of love and you would honor him by accepting it and letting him know he taught you well.
Take care of yourself, try not to dwell on the end. it's impossible to do right now, I know, but don't let his end be more important than his life. He gave you many years of happiness and a cat's greatest gift, his love........I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, be good to yourself......RIP sweet Vinny. You will be dearly missed, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you,m until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sad that you lost your little friend, but he had a wonderful life with you and you did all that you could for him and more, it is always so heartbreaking when they leave us but he is just fine now and understands why you did what you had to do. And you will see him again one day and he will thank you for loving him and taking good care of him.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very sorry about Vinny. He was a lucky kitty to be so well loved and cared for. It's one of the toughest decisions in the world to let them go, even when we know it's the most loving thing we can do for them, and my heart goes out to you.

Rest in peace, little man. :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Vinny, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Oh, my Dear, I am so very sorry. The two of you fought the good fight. And I have to say, I deeply appreciate that you were, at your young age, able to put Vinny's ultimate good above your own heartbreak and send him through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure before his life became a misery. Many adults struggle with this. You're a hero. And believe me, Vinny, from that Place Where All Things Are Known (the land beyond the Bridge), blesses you for it. His love for you, now translated and purified into Love, he sends back to keep you company down through all your days, until, in the fullness of time, it guides you Home to him once more. But that Love knows that sometimes we need a physical presence. Later, when your feet are back under you again, it would welcome a new life for you to love...not with Vinny's love, that is his forever, but with its own room in your heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melonie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you all so much for your kind comments. the empty feeling he leaves behind is made so much easier to handle with the support and love from this forum and the people around me, so I know i'll be okay in the end. :grouphug:

these replies are so genuine and beautiful they bring tears to my eyes. i'm so thankful for them, i appreciate them more than you'd ever know.