Rest In Peace, Shiloh And David

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a little vent and an excuse to share the lives of these wonderful babies with you guys <3

David wasn't mine. Not at first, that is. I'd grown up with the casual indoor/outdoor cats, but none I connected to like big, fluffy David. He was my little brother's cat- my parents thought it was a good idea to get him a cat in order to teach him a little about responsibility. He was excited at first, but he was only seven, and the newness of the beautiful black and white ragdoll mix wore off soon, as it happens with children. So he became mine.
He was unbelievable. Calm, laid-back, with a gentle look like he knew all the world's secrets. Big golden eyes and soft fur. I wanted to keep him inside but he always escaped somehow- and he was an incredible hunter. He would always return to me with rabbits, squirrels and bloodstained paws. It was honestly horrifying but he was so proud of himself I couldn't be upset. Anyone could do anything to big David, he was patient and pure and beautiful. He won over our entire neighborhood. Everyone loved David <3 Even after his surgery, when he was in so much pain, he was gentle. May 2018 I said goodbye to my baby boy. He was only 5 years old. He had bladder crystals that, even after surgery, returned. We did all we could but eventually had to euthanize. He wasn't in pain anymore, but I still miss him more than anything.

Shortly after that, little Shiloh came into my life. Sweet, crazy little Shiloh. A fluffy orange tabby with claws like razors and a heart of gold, she was my dream kitten. She went everywhere with me, including midnight walmart runs and trips to potential new houses when we were moving. She had my heart. I wasn't always the best owner, I made many mistakes, and yet I learned so much from her. She taught me love, different love, real love. I remember how proud I was when she got used to the harness, her first trip outside on the leash... so many little firsts. When I cried, she would climb up on my chest and lick tears from my cheeks. She was wild and beautiful, she had claws and she used them on everything (including me), not to mention her boundless energy. That's why I knew when something was wrong. Just a short month ago, I arrived home from a week long trip to find her calm. Unusually calm, almost lethargic. I couldn't find an open vet clinic so I pulled my pillow and blanket down on the floor and slept next to her. She purred the whole night. My baby almost never purred, I think she missed me the week I was gone. I took her to the vet first thing in the morning, they did some tests, told me it was an infection, gave her some antibiotics, and told me to call if she didn't improve in a couple days. She was gone the next day.
She was tiny. Tiny pink paws, a tiny pink nose, tiny orange ears. She was only a year and half. A body that tiny shouldn't be cold. And yet, there I was, holding my kitten, cold and stiff. She was my baby.
I swore I'd never have another cat.
And I was serious, until little Theo came along... I guess I just can't stay away. Needless to say after two losses in two years, I'm a little protective of him. Here's to many long years with my boy <3
-below are some doodles I did of David and Shiloh + some pictures!-

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is amazing, wonderful, heart wrenching and awesome, these cats that we have the incredible opportunity and honor of having in our lives.

RIP babies, you both have had such a terrific biography here that i feel as though I've known you forever. :vibes::rbheart:

Theo, baby boy, may you have a long life filled with love, zoomies, catnip and everything a cat could desire :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is amazing, wonderful, heart wrenching and awesome, these cats that we have the incredible opportunity and honor of having in our lives.

RIP babies, you both have had such a terrific biography here that i feel as though I've known you forever. :vibes::rbheart:

Theo, baby boy, may you have a long life filled with love, zoomies, catnip and everything a cat could desire :heartshape:
It really is! <3

They are truly wonderful kitties and I miss them so much every day. Theo will be a very spoiled and happy boy for the rest of his life :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't write this and have no idea who did, I'm not even completely sure where I saw it but it was most likely on this forum.

"Before Humans die they write their last will and testament.
They give their home and all they have to those they leave behind.
If with my paws I could do the same, this is what I'd ask...

To a poor and lonely stray I'd give:

My happy home. My bowl, cozy bed, soft pillows, and all my toys. The lap I loved so much. The hand that stroked my fur, and the voice which spoke my name.

I'd will to the sad, scared shelter Cat the place I had in my Human's heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So when I die please don't say, "I'll never have a Cat again, for the loss is more than I can stand."
Instead go find an unloved Cat, one who's life has no joy or hope, and give my place to them.

This is the only thing I can give, the love I left behind."

It's true that your new Cat will never replace them, but you can use what they taught you to make his life even better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree completely to what was quoted above, I know for certain in my heart it is what all our little ones would want.....
It hurts so very badly when they leave us because it tears away a piece of our soul. But the memories of their love is left behind to build apon, to reconstruct the emptiness into a new life's order without them, to show us the way back to living. What they left us, what they taught us, is one of life's treasures. Something no one can ever take from us. Loving them is us a unique experience, as unique as a snowflake, no two loves ever the same. No one will experience the hurt you have gone through, the loss, either. But we have stood where you stood, felt the hurt and the loss, so we can empathize and offer you what comfort we can. It truly helps to hear "I'm sorry" and to know it comes from the heart.
I offer you my thoughts and prayers, I offer you knowledge that it does get easier with time. You never get over loss, you learn to live with it. One of the quotes I cling to is "Death cannot take that which never dies" and I know it to be true because my little ones will dwell in my heart forever. So will yours.....So take care of that new love, and i know you will. Allow Theo to enter your soul and to replace some of the hurt. It takes time, one day at a time.....RIP precious David and Shiloh. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the beautiful tributes to David and Shiloh. You are a very gifted artist and photographer. Your handsome David bore a strong resemblance to my 15yo Maine Coon JC, in appearance, personality and hunting prowess. Ironically, JC used to have a problem with crystals in his urine - a very painful condition. I cannot add anything more to the beautiful and moving responses previously posted except condolences on losing a soul-kitties, ones whom the ancient Egyptians would have said knew your thoughts and guarded your dreams.

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your replies <3 little Theo is sitting beside me as I type this with tears in my eyes. You all are so kind and encouraging. I know Shiloh and David wouldn't want me to spend forever mourning them, and though I was reluctant to a new cat at first, I've come to realize there is hardly a joy that compares to the honor of loving a cat.
catsknowme, I always thought David might've had some Maine Coon resemblance! He sure was a beautiful boy :) I went and looked at a picture of your JC, he's stunning.
Thank you all again <3

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh dear...I'm in tears right now. This all so beautiful and I'm so sorry for your loss of David and Shiloh. They just touch our hearts. No two ways about it. Cats are special, and each one in a different way. Thank you for sharing with us and I am so very sorry for your loss.

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is so sad! Especially Shiloh, as I just recently lost my orange girl too! Mine was much older, 19, so it must be even worse for you that she was only 1.5 years old! Did you ever find out what was wrong that caused her passing?

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is so sad! Especially Shiloh, as I just recently lost my orange girl too! Mine was much older, 19, so it must be even worse for you that she was only 1.5 years old! Did you ever find out what was wrong that caused her passing?
Thank you both so much <3 They really do touch us in ways that nothing else can.
I'm glad your orange baby had a long life but I am sorry for you loss as well! I honestly have no idea what caused it. I don't think it was an infection like the vet said, now that I have researched it. But I'm at a loss. I was gone for a week before her passing so it's likely she began to deteriorate while I was away, but because of that I don't know all the prior symptoms. Our pet sitter doesn't know her like I do so he probably just didn't see what was going on :( She threw up a couple times right before she passed, but she was still eating a little and using her litter box. It was all very strange, very sudden, and of course really hard to handle.
Part of me thinks poisoning of some sort but she's an indoor cat and we're very careful about those sort of things so I'm not quite sure. It's been tough, and I've done a lot of blaming myself for it all, I just wish I had been there to notice before it was too late. But I know healing will come <3