Rest in peace, Schrödinger (6/19/2005-6/25/2021)

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We said goodbye to our beloved Schrödinger on June 25. He had a long battle with autoimmune stomatitis. For several years we were able to manage it with a regimen of medication and diet, since he wasn't a candidate for full mouth extractions, due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. But this horrible condition is progressive, and he became unable to eat on his own. We syringe fed him for a while, and administered sub-Q fluids to maintain hydration. At one point, we discussed with our vet the feasibility of placing an E-tube for tube feeding, so that we wouldn't have to handle his painful mouth. But, because we would never be able to give him a "happy mouth" again, and he would never be cured of his stomatitis, and now arthritis as well, we made the decision to stop his pain.

The day of his appointment came, and of course, he was frisky and alert. He was even playing a bit with our 2 year old DLH female, Rain. For a brief moment, I hesitated... is it REALLY time? Then reality came flashing back: This is a respite, not recovery. And perhaps, yes, it was a signal, a call to remember our beloved Meezer feeling better for a fleeting moment, a happy break in his unrelenting pain... harkening back to his younger days when he didn't know the torment and life was a fun game. I smiled at those memories, and when the hour came, we went in with peace our hearts.

We will always love our sweet Schrödinger, a tiny 3 and a half week old kitten dumped off at the vet clinic where I was working... grew up to be a handsome man... our 'Clown Prince' and precious Tweeter... only supposed to be with us "until we can find him a home", and made his home in our family for 16 years.

Rest in peace, Tweeter. We will always love you.
Schrodinger trash can.jpg

Cat-the other white meat.jpg
schrodie red bed.jpg

CozyBreakfast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A handsome kitty. My condolences to you and all his loved ones.

R.I.P.!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your gorgeous little friend, you did all you could but sadly it was time to move on but you will meet again one day down the line and it will be wonderful.....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always better to be a day early than a day late when it comes to these horrible decisions. You would never want your sweet boy to suffer.....
You gave him a home and 16 years of unconditional love, it was everything he wanted in life. The bond of love you share is a strong one, built link by link over all those years. Love is spiritual, so eternal. Try not to dwell on his end, it only brings pain, instead concentrate on what he brought to your life. To have never met him at all would be unthinkable, he brought so much to your family.
My heart breaks for your pain, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please know we are with you in spirit, we know what it is like to lose someone so special. Take care......RIP beautiful Schrodinger. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aww, sweet boy. You gave him such a good life--what a lucky little guy to end up in your care at the clinic. :hugs:

Rest in peace, little man. :rbheart:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of your beautiful little boy. Those pictures are certainly a testimony to the incredible life he lived with you for all those years.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Truly, deeply sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for sharing Schrödinger final chapter with us. I am so sorry for your pain and your loss.

Thank you, too, for this extraordinary and lovely perspective. Yes, a respite not a recovery. I hope I will remember your words when I inevitably face this same situation once again. Thank you. :redheartpump:
The day of his appointment came, and of course, he was frisky and alert. He was even playing a bit with our 2 year old DLH female, Rain. For a brief moment, I hesitated... is it REALLY time? Then reality came flashing back: This is a respite, not recovery. And perhaps, yes, it was a signal, a call to remember our beloved Meezer feeling better for a fleeting moment, a happy break in his unrelenting pain... harkening back to his younger days when he didn't know the torment and life was a fun game. I smiled at those memories, and when the hour came, we went in with peace our hearts.