Rest in peace my sweet kitty

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday afternoon, I made the decision to put my Fiona down. She was only 4 years old, but was diagnosed with PKD last month. She had no function in her one kidney, and very little left in the other. She was sent home to live out her remaining days with me. I did extensive research and started her on several supplements to help keep her as comfortable as possible. They did help a bit, but last week she really went down hill. At the end, she wasn't eating or drinking, refused to be pet, and the morning I made the decision, her back legs gave out on her and she could barely walk. Right before her appointment, she lay in her bed under the window in the sun, and was so still I thought she was already gone. I thought about leaving her there to pass in her bed at home, but I was also worried that it was going to take a lot longer that I thought and I didn't want her suffering.

When we got to the vet, they drew blood upon my request, I just wanted to know that she was too far gone for any other treatments. The vet said her kidney levels were so high that the machine could not read them. I knew that was going to be the answer, but I just had to KNOW, if you know what I mean. I asked if I could go in and was told that because of Covid, we couldn't go inside but they would allow me to have it done outside. I thought that was a beautiful idea. She went quickly with the sun and the wind on her fur, looking out at the trees. She was gone almost immediately. She came home with us and was burried next to my family's pet cat Barnaby that had passed about a year and a half ago. I can only hope that they are now together, and that Barnaby is teaching her how to properly catch a mouse.

She would hold them down with her paw, but then yell at her humans to take care of it for her. She had the most grumpy face, and always looked disappointed with you. But every time you sat on the couch, she would jump up and groom your hair for you. She loved to cuddle, and I think that is what I will miss most of all. I am at peace with my decision, but there is a small part of me that left with her. She was my baby, and I am just thankful she's no longer in pain.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200624144933412_COVER.jpg

EGrunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. Such a beautiful cat. Our Mojo had bad kidneys at the end of July 2019 Mojo was not eating and laying around. Two days at the vet with fluid injections and blood work and he came back home to us. Then last week on Monday (8/31/20) evening, I still remember Mojo jumping up on the bed and laying next to me as I read my iPad before going to sleep. Starting on Tuesday when I came home from work I noticed Mojo was having a hard time walking with his rear legs. He was eating but not much. By Wednesday he did not want to eat and was not moving and laid on the carpet. We took him into the vet on Wednesday (9/2/20) and he was giving fluids and a shot to increase his appetite. I closely monitored Mojo and when he was home from the vet he laid motionless on a towel I placed on the carpet. He had no interest in food. Thursday (9/3/20) morning Mojo could not stand on his own and I thought he passed on because he was laying so still. He was breathing but he went down hill so fast from Monday evening. Like you, I did not want my Mojo to suffer. Mojo made the last journey to vet on Thursday (9/3/20) and he made the journey across the bridge.

The member's of this forum are great and have helped immensely with the grief of losing Mojo.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. I too had to have one of ours put down outside due to Covid (back in May). I agree that it seemed more peaceful to do that. She also went quickly unlike any others that I had witnessed. I had to ask if it was over because it was that fast! It sounds like you took wonderful care of your baby in her short 4 years. She was lucky to have you. :hugs:

SnugglesAnn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is a beauty. Look at those eyes. I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to let them go and even harder to have to be the one to make the decision, but you did what was best for her and like many others will tell you on here- you gave her the best gift in the end. My first cat, Anastasia, I waited too long to make that decision and she passed away on my way to the vet. I promised my other kitties I would never do that to them and I haven't. I lost my baby girl, Snuggles, in 2018 and my sweet boy, Oliver, just last month. They do take a piece of your heart when they go and it feels like life is just empty without them. But with time, we start remembering more of the good times and less of the sadness. Fiona is with Barnaby now and I bet they are having a blast. I picture Oliver, Snuggles, and Anastasia catching lizards together. We will see our babies again soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers. ❤❤

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you had this loss and her only around 4 years old, sometimes we just can't tell when and why these things will happen, but you did all that you could and more, and if she passed very quickly she was weak and ready to go, all of ours that were hurting went so quickly and it was because they had nothing left in them and it was time to move on, as hard as that is, but she is fine now, just fine, and you will meet again someday and she will thank you for taking such loving care of her.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath on Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about your lovely Fiona, what a beauty!! I know you are probably
feeling gutted now. Let tears flow. Someone is always here for you. She is at the Bridge
now and has made good friends already. My Vincie girl is very sociable, so I know she
has taken Fiona under her wing.Grieving is so hard but necessary. Be kind to yourself.

Love,

Mia :hugs: :rbheart:💖

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You made the right decision. There was no need for continued suffering. When life is one continuous struggle, full of pain with no cure, it is time......
She built an incredible bond with your soul. That bond is spiritual, so eternal. No one, not even death, can break that bond. "Death cannot take that which never dies".
She shared your life's journey for a while, to have never met that sweet girl would be unthinkable. Even though the pain is great right now, the loss from never knowing her would be even greater. For her, the pain is gone now, she is at peace because she has your love. The hole in your heart will take a while to heal, time is the only thing that dulls the sharp edges of grief. You will never get over losing her from your life, but you will learn to make a new life's order for yourself.
Her new path will forever parallel your own, she will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. She would want for you to go on with your life, living it to the fullest. Just as you would have wanted for her if you were the first to go. Because that is love. Use your precious memories to bring comfort, and in time you will not cry because she is gone, but smile because she was there.......RIP beautiful Fiona. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about your lovely Fiona, what a beauty!! I know you are probably
feeling gutted now. Let tears flow. Someone is always here for you. She is at the Bridge
now and has made good friends already. My Vincie girl is very sociable, so I know she
has taken Fiona under her wing.Grieving is so hard but necessary. Be kind to yourself.

Love,

Mia :hugs: :rbheart:💖
This is beautiful........ :rbheart:

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my, those beautiful emerald eyes! Surely they put a spell upon all those she cast them on. Fiona was, is, and will always will be that lovely, beautiful friend you had on this old planet...if for only such a short time.

I know how a loss such as this affects us humans. I've had much practice living through situations like this. You gave your sweet Fiona the greatest gift we humans cane give any creature on earth...freedom from pain and suffering. She is now free to cross that ole Rainbow Bridge and run, romp, and play with the millions of our fur babies that have been patiently waiting for Fiona to appear. She is in WONDERFUL company!

As the passing of time allows, try not to cry because Fiona has passed...but to smile because of the four wonderful years she blessed you with her presence. You were truly blessed.

God bless.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm truly sorry for the loss of your Fiona, the cat with jewel eyes.
She was way too young to go to the Bridge, and this hurts a lot. But she did leave you with wonderful memories for sure, and these memories will keep you company forever.
Barnaby has welcomed her and shown her the place around, so now she knows where to rest, play, eat and make new friends.

The idea to have the last step done outside under the trees is wonderful and so natural.
It reminds me of when I had to put my cat Tom to sleep, at home, and we did it in front of our garden, so that he was able to feel the whole world around him. He got blind in his last minutes, so he couldn't see the beauty of the garden in the sunset of a September day, but I am sure he appreciated it and took this last feeling with him, to a place where there's no time, so everything good lasts forever, just like your Fiona did.

RIP Fiona, you will be truly missed.

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday afternoon, I made the decision to put my Fiona down. She was only 4 years old, but was diagnosed with PKD last month. She had no function in her one kidney, and very little left in the other. She was sent home to live out her remaining days with me. I did extensive research and started her on several supplements to help keep her as comfortable as possible. They did help a bit, but last week she really went down hill. At the end, she wasn't eating or drinking, refused to be pet, and the morning I made the decision, her back legs gave out on her and she could barely walk. Right before her appointment, she lay in her bed under the window in the sun, and was so still I thought she was already gone. I thought about leaving her there to pass in her bed at home, but I was also worried that it was going to take a lot longer that I thought and I didn't want her suffering.

When we got to the vet, they drew blood upon my request, I just wanted to know that she was too far gone for any other treatments. The vet said her kidney levels were so high that the machine could not read them. I knew that was going to be the answer, but I just had to KNOW, if you know what I mean. I asked if I could go in and was told that because of Covid, we couldn't go inside but they would allow me to have it done outside. I thought that was a beautiful idea. She went quickly with the sun and the wind on her fur, looking out at the trees. She was gone almost immediately. She came home with us and was burried next to my family's pet cat Barnaby that had passed about a year and a half ago. I can only hope that they are now together, and that Barnaby is teaching her how to properly catch a mouse.

She would hold them down with her paw, but then yell at her humans to take care of it for her. She had the most grumpy face, and always looked disappointed with you. But every time you sat on the couch, she would jump up and groom your hair for you. She loved to cuddle, and I think that is what I will miss most of all. I am at peace with my decision, but there is a small part of me that left with her. She was my baby, and I am just thankful she's no longer in pain.View attachment 350443
I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious baby. We have been a multiple cat family for over 15 years now to a mama cat and two of the babies they were born in our backyard. We lost our Mama cat last year and that was extremely hard but we knew she was fading, we just lost our boy a week ago, that was sudden we were not expecting that he was 15 we are still in shock by it.
We all love our pets so deeply they give joy and comfort and love completely. I hope you find comfort knowing you loved and gave your fur baby a wonderful loving home, and we will always have them with us in our hearts.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Fiona, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

So soon, too soon...but where there is love, an eternity together is not long enough, is it? This I can tell you, love never dies, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. Fiona is happy, healthy and whole at the Bridge, but her love for you, now translated and purified into Love has returned to be by your side until, in the fullness of time, you meet again in joyous reunion. When I talk to my dad tonight (he has also gone on, gone Ahead), I shall ask him to take special care of her for you. He had, and has still (I KNOW!), a special way with cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words. It really has been a difficult past few days. Yesterday was actually her one year anniversary with me, so I thought that I would share the story of how she came to be with me.

About 6 months after my family's cat passed, I was really missing his company. I had just started online college and never realized how much I missed him until I was home alone for the majority of the day. So, I started looking for a new furry friend.

I'm very allergic to cats so I needed a specific breed. I chose a Russian blue, Abyssinian, and Main coon. I emailed so many breeders, but no one had an older cat (I knew a kitten would be a lot of work,and I wanted to give an adult a good home because kittens are always snatched up first).

After a few months of looking, I was getting really discouraged. I started to wonder if it was because I had started to look so soon after the passing of Barnaby. So I asked God to give me a sign; if I'm meant to have a cat, let me know! Not even an hour later, I got an email about Fiona.

She was a 3 year old Abyssinian cat. She had her last litter 4 months ago, had an appointment to be spayed that week, and I could pick her up 2 weeks after her appointment! I was beyond excited, she was so beautiful and I fell in love with her eyes right away. I filled out some paperwork, and two weeks late I brought her home!!

It wasn't until yesterday that I really recalled how I found her. And then I realized that for whatever reason, God wanted Fiona to be with me. I think he knew how much I missed Baranby, and how she needed to go to a really good home for her last year of life. Whatever the reason was, I'm just glad I was able to take care of her and love her to the very end. I also find comfort in knowing that for whatever reason, it was always meant to be this way.

Your stories and support has meant a lot to me, this is such a wonderful group to be a part of, so thank you all ♥

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your thanks were just doubled a hundredfold by letting us know about Fiona. I'm so happy for you, God has indeed blessed you with another little girl! Now the true healing can begin......