Rest in peace, my little worm

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky, my little old man, crossed the bridge today with the assistance of our wonderful vet. I've had to put many of our critters to sleep, but this was by far the most calm and peaceful one. I was very thankful for that.

My little Luckman had acute on chronic renal failure. We don't really know what happened to cause it, but seeing as his creatinine and BUN went up considerably despite two weeks of aggressive treatment, the vet thinks it was likely a tumor. Regardless of what it was, Lucky had lost any interest in eating and in life itself. I stopped syringe feeding him yesterday and I could not believe how fast he went down yesterday from the toxins. I'd already planned on today being the day, but if I hadn't then it definitely would have been after watching him deteriorate yesterday.

I miss him so much! I was truly blessed to have him in my life for over 16 years. I can't believe still how quickly this all happened. I didn't expect to lose him so soon after the diagnosis, but it was time.

This is Lucky, a little over a year ago, in one of his favorite spots (the kitchen counter). One of the most relaxed cats in the world.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss.  Rest in Peace Lucky.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They worm their way into our hearts, where they will reside in spirit for the rest of our lives. Lucky was indeed lucky to spend 16 years with someone who so obviously loved and cared for him, he was secure in the knowledge that he was a member of your family, and owned a big part of your heart.  I pray that he had a swift journey to the Rainbow Bridge, where he will wait safe and secure for you, until you can meet again. I know it hurts so bad to be without them, but he left you his legacy of love and would want you to smile again one day when you think of him. The heavens gained another beautiful angel with his passing, and the world is a little emptier without his sweet spirit. I hope you find comfort in your precious memories, please take care......RIP sweet Lucky, you will be terribly missed, but will be held forever in a loving heart!

castle cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am feeling sad reading your loss. My sympathies are with you. “I was truly blessed to have him in my life for over 16 years.” How fortunate you are to have him for 16 years! My darling late Jethro came into my life when he was 9. He left me on April 13, 2015. He suffered from chronic renal failure for nearly 2½ years. I miss him terribly. I am inconsolable. Rest in Peace Lucky.   

Castle Cat (humble servant of late Jethro)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I realize (and realized each and every year that passed) how fortunate I was to have him. I've lost many kitties over the years, some only half his age, but others more around the average of 12. And we had one that was even older than him - he was the last cat we lost before Lucky.

So sorry for your loss Castle Cat. Jethro is such a cool name, my cousin named his pug that (after the NCIS character). Lucky came into my life as a kitten, not in a way that anyone would ever want to have one come into their lives. Someone had some something horrible to him, and we rescued him. But, he really saved me. I was at the lowest point in my life (severe clinical depression), and he gave me something to live for. He suffered from acute on chronic renal failure for about two and a half weeks. Needless to say, I was not expecting this or so soon, and am still quite crushed. 

We always said he was the reincarnation of a cat that we lost at only three years old - his name was Black Cat (because he was... a black cat :) ). Lucky was black and white, but reminded us so much of Black Cat that my mom called him "AB-Cat" (almost Black Cat) for a long time. One of many many nicknames that accumulated.

shayliba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I had to put my cat to sleep last week due to a pancreatic tumor. It helps to see others are going thru the same grief.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
AB-Cat. That's so cute.  I lost one at almost 18 years old, same way.  A very fast deterioration, heartbreaking to watch.  I'm so glad you had that many years with such a special cat.  

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sleep peacefully little Lucky. I am sorry for your loss. Nothing eases the pain of losing our furry babies. Thinking of you x

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky was a beautiful kitty, I am so sorry for your loss and the pain you and your family are going through.  

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. It means a lot. Lucky was indeed beautiful, both inside and out. I've had many, many kitties throughout my life, but he had my heart in his furry little grip. He was such a loving, lovable little creature. I can't believe how lucky *I* was to have been chosen as his human companion.

It's been rough. Waking up and instinctively looking for him, and then realizing... yeah, rough. And sobbing out of nowhere. I'm thankful for my kittens (Oscar and Oliver, in my avatar) who are keeping me grounded. Hard to get too lost in the sorrow with little tornadoes around you.

Someone sent me this poem yesterday. I just start crying again every time I read it, but it warms my heart each time also.

And God asked the feline spirit

Are you ready to come home?

Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul

And, as a cat, I am most able

To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? Asked God.

Soon, replied the whiskered angel

But I must come slowly.

For my human friends are troubled.

For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? Asked God

That you'll never leave them?

That your souls are intertwined for all eternity?

That nothing is created or destroyed?

It just is... forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,

Replied the glorious cat.

For I will whisper into their hearts

That I am always with them

I just am...forever and ever and ever.

(Author unknown)

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you everyone. It means a lot. Lucky was indeed beautiful, both inside and out. I've had many, many kitties throughout my life, but he had my heart in his furry little grip. He was such a loving, lovable little creature. I can't believe how lucky *I* was to have been chosen as his human companion.

It's been rough. Waking up and instinctively looking for him, and then realizing... yeah, rough. And sobbing out of nowhere. I'm thankful for my kittens (Oscar and Oliver, in my avatar) who are keeping me grounded. Hard to get too lost in the sorrow with little tornadoes around you.

Someone sent me this poem yesterday. I just start crying again every time I read it, but it warms my heart each time also.

And God asked the feline spirit

Are you ready to come home?

Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul

And, as a cat, I am most able

To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? Asked God.

Soon, replied the whiskered angel

But I must come slowly.

For my human friends are troubled.

For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? Asked God

That you'll never leave them?

That your souls are intertwined for all eternity?

That nothing is created or destroyed?

It just is... forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,

Replied the glorious cat.

For I will whisper into their hearts

That I am always with them

I just am...forever and ever and ever.

(Author unknown)
Ok tears streaming, beautiful poem, thanks for sharing 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
All the stuff I had ordered for Lucky that hadn't arrived yet... and it's starting to arrive now. It's like getting punched in the gut.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

All the stuff I had ordered for Lucky that hadn't arrived yet... and it's starting to arrive now. It's like getting punched in the gut.
That is so upsetting, can you stop the deliveries? Not sure what you ordered, but can you donate it to a shelter. Sometimes knowing that it is going to go to help some unfortunate kitty helps. My boy is ill and I don't know how much longer I will have him around. Just thinking about that day shakes me to the core. I can only imagine what you must be going through. My heart breaks for you. I wish I could say something that would help. I am so sorry for your loss

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

That is so upsetting, can you stop the deliveries? Not sure what you ordered, but can you donate it to a shelter. Sometimes knowing that it is going to go to help some unfortunate kitty helps. My boy is ill and I don't know how much longer I will have him around. Just thinking about that day shakes me to the core. I can only imagine what you must be going through. My heart breaks for you. I wish I could say something that would help. I am so sorry for your loss
I honestly didn't think he'd go down so fast. The difference between this past Tuesday and Wednesday in him was so profound. This was a feeding syringe with a flexible tip that I got to make it easier for him.

I have made plans for the Hill's k/d and Clinicare RF that I'd ordered. I got the emails saying they shipped the day he was put to sleep. Actually, the Clinicare, I got that email literally right after finding out his numbers had gotten worse and decided it would be the next day. Anyway, they are going to someone who fosters cats and has a couple of kidney kitties. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to believe it's been a week today. I think at this time, a week ago, we were all just trying to keep from crying too much and loving on Lucky as much as possible. I was also waiting for 8am to roll around so I could call the vet and make an appt to bring him in. I was originally going to wait till the end of the day but ended up doing it at 9:30am. Couldn't force him to wait anymore just on account of me wanting a little more time with him.

I remember watching him hobble around that morning. And realizing even though he stopped eating, he never stopped drinking water. He seemed to feel better than the night before, and I had to keep telling myself that he was also at his best in the early morning. He would get worse - and a lot worse - as the day went on. There was part of me trying to say "maybe he'll get better" when I knew he wouldn't. Dang brain.

Most of the week has been quite blustery, just like the night before and the day of a week ago. I think I will have a hard time experiencing weather like this (gale warnings most of the week) and NOT thinking about him. Which is kinda comforting in some ways.

I also had some photo blankets made with him. The first one arrived yesterday. It has pictures of him with the kittens (the ones in my avatar) and says "Three-Headed Hydra". They often slept together in a big ol' pile of black and white, and looked like they had one body with three heads. So that was collectively my name for them.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss....

Rest in peace sweet baby...

(((hugs)))