Rest In Peace Grits.

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve never posted a new thread here so please be patient with me if I’m doing something wrong. Thank you.

Three weeks ago my husband and I were outside with our 3 dogs (very small chihuahuas who get along with our cats) taking them out to use the bathroom. We got to the back left corner of our yard and I spotted a light gray figure. Usually, I see a light figure and panic but it’s always a grocery bag or something else. It was our mama kitty, grits, who was dead. This breaks my heart to think about and I’m so distraught. We have a wooden privacy fence and we discovered that the fence had a “v” shaped area of wood that had been damaged and was gone. Grits was dead laying at the bottom of this v and caught right above her back legs. She must have lost her balance and fallen perfectly into this gap in the wood or was being chased and not being careful about her footing. I don’t think she was being chased because the back of her body was left untouched and I injured. She had no injuries other than a squished midsection from the fence. What hurts me the most is that she probably laid there for hours and slowly died from circulation being cut off. I didn’t hear her meows if she did meow. She’s loud she she wants to be so I can’t imagine no one hearing her. I also thought maybe the fall paralyzed her but upon further investigation I could see where she clawed the fence with her back feet. I wish I wouldn’t have looked now. I’m so heartbroken. Grits was only 4 years old. She was full of spunk, loved being outside and inside with us. She was finicky at times and very loving. She could find a box within seconds and loved sleeping on cardboard. She was such a beautiful lynx point. She once ate a lizard whole so we called her the purple lizard eater. ( her fur was slightly purple at times in the right lighting) we have three of her offspring still. Her only boy is her spitting image. He followed her around like a lost puppy all the time! We miss her terribly and feel so guilty for not finding her in time. We know that it happened sometime that Saturday and she wasn’t there for more than 12 hours. We do headcounts on our fur babies because we have so many. We have three dogs, 4 cats, two foster kittens, and 5 outdoor “strays”. I feel weird calling them strays because we have them names and paid to fix them and vaccinate them. However, we can’t pick some of them up or touch a couple of them. One of them took about a year to trust me enough to let me pet him without him swatting me or trying to bite me. We had to trap two before transporting them all to their surgery appointments. I’m so glad we don’t have to worry about litters if kittens now! And btw, all our cats are spayed and neutered as well. We must be known among stray and feral cats around here because they keep popping up!! Back to the topic. Has anyone else had a situation like this happen? I feel like it was a freak accident. I still can’t believe grits died such an awful death. Nothing could have prepared me to find her like this. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

I do realize that keeping my cats indoors all the time would significantly reduce the rate of accidents like this but my kitties absolutely thrive on being able to frolic outside and play together in our yard. They are so bored and restless if they are kept indoors only. We had to do that when we bought our new house. They come and go as they please through the doggy door that’s mounted in one of our bottom window panes.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place and if I added bits that were too off topic. Thanks again.

Rest In Peace Grits. We love you so much.

P.s grits was buried with her favorite food, treats, toys, and of course in a box that she loved so much. She has a pretty tombstone as well.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a heart breaking story and I'm very sad for you. I have read other similar tragic stories on here so maybe someone will reply and try to give you some comfort. I don't know what else to say except that I'm very upset for you and I send you all the love I possibly can. RIP sweet grits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words of comfort. They mean so much to me.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes , sadly this happens to many of us . It's impossible to avoid all dangers even indoors . Once a vet told me many people actually run over their own cats accidentally with their automobile . These accidents are very common .
Your kitty had a good comfortable life thanks to you.
Best wishes ~ :rbheart:

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a heart breaking story and I'm very sad for you. I have read other similar tragic stories on here so maybe someone will reply and try to give you some comfort. I don't know what else to say except that I'm very upset for you and I send you all the love I possibly can. RIP sweet grits.

Thank you for your kind words of comfort. They mean so much to me.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tails up tails up , I am so sorry for your loss of precious Grits and also for the very tough time you are having. Accidents are so tough to deal with, especially unusual accidents where there is so little information. It is only normal that you are asking yourself questions because you are such a loving person that cares deeply about animals. It is evident in all you do and love for the cats and dogs and your love for Grits. It seems to make our grieving more. The burial you gave Grits is so full of your love for her and it sounds like she had such happy times with her family. I wish I could be there to give you a hug, but I am sending one here to you. :hugs: Please let us know how you are doing. I know there are many here that understand.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Grits, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry that you lost Grits, and in such a way. She knew she was loved, and she loved you, and loves you still. She lived a life that made her happy.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this sad situation and I like to believe that grits passed more quickly than you feared. If she had restricted breathing after the fall, there's a good chance she went in minutes rather than hours. I'm not just saying that, I think it's a real possibility as it doesn't have to be the obvious place (neck) for that to happen.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry you had to go through this, I have had so many cats throughout my life that accidents are bound to happen, and I know how much the heart breaks when we dwell on how they spent their last moments. Try to remember it was an accident, there was no intention here, really not in your control. There are always all those should haves, could haves, but nothing can change what happened and it only brings heartache to think about it. That sweet girl would be the last one to want you to be sad because of her. She would want you to move forward into a future full of sunshine and happiness. she died doing what she loved best, running free. Her life with you was happy, you gave her what she wanted most, a wonderful home and your love. Her new path will always follow yours because the bond of love you share is eternal. We have them for a little while, but the love we share will fill a special place in our souls forever. Take care and know we are here for you......RIP precious Grits, you will always have a place in a loving heart, and will never be forgotten. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Princess!

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tails up tails up , I am so sorry for your loss of precious Grits and also for the very tough time you are having. Accidents are so tough to deal with, especially unusual accidents where there is so little information. It is only normal that you are asking yourself questions because you are such a loving person that cares deeply about animals. It is evident in all you do and love for the cats and dogs and your love for Grits. It seems to make our grieving more. The burial you gave Grits is so full of your love for her and it sounds like she had such happy times with her family. I wish I could be there to give you a hug, but I am sending one here to you. :hugs: Please let us know how you are doing. I know there are many here that understand.
Thank you so much for your hug. I needed it. I’m so glad to have such kind people to respond to my post. It helps me so much.

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Grits, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry that you lost Grits, and in such a way. She knew she was loved, and she loved you, and loves you still. She lived a life that made her happy.
Thank you for your uplifting words. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to leave me such a comforting comment.

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss, that is so sad and such a horrible thing to have to witness and question, so sorry. I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:
Thank you so much! We are trying really hard to not dwell on her death.

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this sad situation and I like to believe that grits passed more quickly than you feared. If she had restricted breathing after the fall, there's a good chance she went in minutes rather than hours. I'm not just saying that, I think it's a real possibility as it doesn't have to be the obvious place (neck) for that to happen.
I’m so glad you said this. I didn’t even think about that . Maybe you are right. I sure hope so. I wish I could take her pain away and feel it for her.

tails up

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry you had to go through this, I have had so many cats throughout my life that accidents are bound to happen, and I know how much the heart breaks when we dwell on how they spent their last moments. Try to remember it was an accident, there was no intention here, really not in your control. There are always all those should haves, could haves, but nothing can change what happened and it only brings heartache to think about it. That sweet girl would be the last one to want you to be sad because of her. She would want you to move forward into a future full of sunshine and happiness. she died doing what she loved best, running free. Her life with you was happy, you gave her what she wanted most, a wonderful home and your love. Her new path will always follow yours because the bond of love you share is eternal. We have them for a little while, but the love we share will fill a special place in our souls forever. Take care and know we are here for you......RIP precious Grits, you will always have a place in a loving heart, and will never be forgotten. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Princess!
You are wonderful at making people feel better. Thank you for sending me such a kind reply and keeping it so positive. I needed this so much. I am so grateful. I can feel how kind you are without even meeting you. Thank you so much!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! We are trying really hard to not dwell on her death.
That image might stick with you mentally for awhile, when Sebastian was caught in the mini blinds and died in my arms about 15 seconds after I got him out that image stuck with me whenever I was near them, and took me quite awhile to not feel that horrible feeling when I was near them or looking at them, but I was there the other day and I remembered that night but it lost a lot of it's sting since time has passed, and I'm sure it will for you too. We have to picture them in happier times, not the last moments with them.