Rest easy, Sophie.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Here I sit, a broken man. Today I had to unexpectedly say goodbye to one of my special needs cats, Sophie. But, she wasn't just any special needs cat. She was my first. She was THE reason I started taking care of special needs cats. A polydactyl, diabetic and having CH with additional neurological issues, Sophie was unlike any cat I've encountered up to this point.
Adopted, moved and returned multiple times to the shelter, Sophie was called things like "broken", "boring" and "not a normal cat". At the time I met her, we had taken some animals out to an adoption event to help find them loving homes. Someone had brought a dog right up to the cat cage and one of the other cats started to attack Sophie out of fear. I reached in and grabbed the first cat I could, who happened to be Sophie. She turned and bit my hand, sending me to the hospital. Now, I wasn't looking for a second cat, but I also know that animals with "bite records" are much harder to adopt out. Almost 11 years volunteering at this animal shelter, seeing tens of thousands of animals with all kinds of issues and problems, and the only animal to ever bite me, was her.
She set me off on a path to see firsthand how amazing cats can be, especially the ones that are overlooked. Numerous other cats with special needs have been in/are currently in my life, some of whom had significantly shortened lifespans. But none have come so unexpectedly into my life or shown me more than Sophie.
Today, Sophie succumbed to diabetic ketoacidosis, brought on by an infection that showed no symptoms until she appeared to be lethargic late last night. But by then, it was too late. As I arrived home with an empty carrier, the sight of my house brought me to tears. I bought a ranch style house, specifically so Sophie didn't have to go up or down stairs. As I walked in, I noticed her empty spot in the kitchen where she would chirp at me as if I hadn't fed her in weeks. Her bowl, which was raised (as she had a tendency to fall over trying to eat with her CH) sat empty on the counter. I walked through the house, picking up all the puppy pads that were placed down because she had difficulty making it into the litterbox sometimes. And as I sit here typing this, wiping tears from my eyes, I look at the empty spot on the couch next to me, where she would lay, while I was having dinner, happily purring away.
I love all of my cats. Always have, always will. But there's a special place in my heart for the one who was so rejected, so ignored, so unwanted. There's a special place for the one who started me down the path of these amazingly beautiful special cats.
All I can hope is that the first person she saw across the bridge was her favorite person in the whole world, my father, who unexpectedly passed from a completely random brain aneurysm less than a year ago. When he didn't come home, I knew she missed him. Now I know they're together again, doing what they always did:
IMG_0610.JPG

user_imageFinal.jpg

I miss you both.

Last edited:

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I‘m so so sorry mr. meow. Losing a beloved is brutal. Losing a beloved unexpectedly is worse. I’ve had more than 1 special needs kitties. They were the best. Ginger Rogers only had 3 legs. Ulysses had lower motor neuron damage and would fall over every time he pooped. He would look so mortified. The memories of them are great. And I still miss them. I get your pain brother. Your memories will help but right now, take care of yourself. Hug your other kitties. Grieve. Peace brother. 💔

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Sophie truly was one of those special cat's that takes a piece of our heart's when they leave us. Your tribute was beautiful for a beautiful girl. And I'm sure your dad was waiting for her and they are enjoying those cuddles again. :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your pain....the hole that is left in your life and home is tremendous, especially when the one that leaves is so special. She will always occupy a spot in your soul, she will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. The bond of love you built over the years with that sweet girl will be with you for eternity because it is spiritual. The beautiful tribute you wrote to her and shared with the world,v will honor her, and she deserves it wholeheartedly. Any new loves that come, and loves you now share will reside right beside her own, adding on to her own and helping it to grow even stronger.
Having you in her life, to give her a chance, to give her love, which is all she ever wanted, meant everything to her. In return, she gave you her heart. A treasure beyond measure.
My heart goes out to you, you all are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself and all those special little ones under your care. Bless you.....RIP dear Sophie. You will always be dearly missed. You will have a secure place in a loving heart for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your sweet Sophie.
When we lose a pet it's heartbreaking, but a special needs cat is a special creature, and their departure is a bigger pain.
We devote to them a lot, we pour all ourselves into their care, and when they leave we feel overwhelmed because we would have had do much more love to give and we feel like we're drowning in that love. And we know how much they loved us, and we know it was a special love, a different love, a kind of love that can't be described.

It seems that you and your father are/were two incredible persons. Undoubtedly it runs in the family.
You did all you could do for Sophie, she knows that.
Feel proud for what you did and what you are. Sophie is proud of you and is already telling other cats at the Bridge what great and generous guardian she had.

RIP Sophie.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I agree that when a special needs animal leaves our lives, it is harder because the bond that is forged with them through the care that they are given is stronger than it is even to our other beloved pets. Sophie was blessed that day at the adoption event that fate brought the two of you together in the form of an unfriendly dog. As the old poem says, "it was heaven here with you."

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here I sit, a broken man. Today I had to unexpectedly say goodbye to one of my special needs cats, Sophie. But, she wasn't just any special needs cat. She was my first. She was THE reason I started taking care of special needs cats. A polydactyl, diabetic and having CH with additional neurological issues, Sophie was unlike any cat I've encountered up to this point.
Adopted, moved and returned multiple times to the shelter, Sophie was called things like "broken", "boring" and "not a normal cat". At the time I met her, we had taken some animals out to an adoption event to help find them loving homes. Someone had brought a dog right up to the cat cage and one of the other cats started to attack Sophie out of fear. I reached in and grabbed the first cat I could, who happened to be Sophie. She turned and bit my hand, sending me to the hospital. Now, I wasn't looking for a second cat, but I also know that animals with "bite records" are much harder to adopt out. Almost 11 years volunteering at this animal shelter, seeing tens of thousands of animals with all kinds of issues and problems, and the only animal to ever bite me, was her.
She set me off on a path to see firsthand how amazing cats can be, especially the ones that are overlooked. Numerous other cats with special needs have been in/are currently in my life, some of whom had significantly shortened lifespans. But none have come so unexpectedly into my life or shown me more than Sophie.
Today, Sophie succumbed to diabetic ketoacidosis, brought on by an infection that showed no symptoms until she appeared to be lethargic late last night. But by then, it was too late. As I arrived home with an empty carrier, the sight of my house brought me to tears. I bought a ranch style house, specifically so Sophie didn't have to go up or down stairs. As I walked in, I noticed her empty spot in the kitchen where she would chirp at me as if I hadn't fed her in weeks. Her bowl, which was raised (as she had a tendency to fall over trying to eat with her CH) sat empty on the counter. I walked through the house, picking up all the puppy pads that were placed down because she had difficulty making it into the litterbox sometimes. And as I sit here typing this, wiping tears from my eyes, I look at the empty spot on the couch next to me, where she would lay, while I was having dinner, happily purring away.
I love all of my cats. Always have, always will. But there's a special place in my heart for the one who was so rejected, so ignored, so unwanted. There's a special place for the one who started me down the path of these amazingly beautiful special cats.
All I can hope is that the first person she saw across the bridge was her favorite person in the whole world, my father, who unexpectedly passed from a completely random brain aneurysm less than a year ago. When he didn't come home, I knew she missed him. Now I know they're together again, doing what they always did:
View attachment 380452
View attachment 380454
I miss you both.
I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes…I’m so so sorry for your loss. I know where you’re coming from. I loss my son 1 1/2 years ago and then loss my Little Tiger kitten (11 months old) two months ago. I have 12 indoor cats and have many cats growing up but Tiger was so special to me. He was so different than any other cat I’ve ever had, one reason is because I believe in my heart he was sent to me by my beloved son….I still feel their loss and miss them both so much.
I can say I know how you’re feeling. May God bless you and help you in your grief. It’s a hard struggle but we need to remember God has his reasons for things that happen, even though we don’t understand it or question it. May they both be at peace now and in a better place. Someday we will be reunited with our love ones. Remember they are always with us, always in our hearts. God bless.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes…I’m so so sorry for your loss. I know where you’re coming from. I loss my son 1 1/2 years ago and then loss my Little Tiger kitten (11 months old) two months ago. I have 12 indoor cats and have many cats growing up but Tiger was so special to me. He was so different than any other cat I’ve ever had, one reason is because I believe in my heart he was sent to me by my beloved son….I still feel their loss and miss them both so much.
I can say I know how you’re feeling. May God bless you and help you in your grief. It’s a hard struggle but we need to remember God has his reasons for things that happen, even though we don’t understand it or question it. May they both be at peace now and in a better place. Someday we will be reunited with our love ones. Remember they are always with us, always in our hearts. God bless.
I’m so sorry. Gosh, I’m so sorry. Peace sister.