Response to people who don't believe TNR effectively reduces colony populations.

melissa laninfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There was an article about TNR in our local newspaper and some readers disputed the claim that TNR reduces the cat population in colonies. They claim that "cats attract cats".  I know that studies have been done, but are there any recent studies I can quote? I know that some people dump their pet cats at colonies. Have any studies been done on this?

Thanks! Melissa

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are plenty of members here who take care of colonies. You'll get plenty of advice from them hopefully.
Please post a link to the newspaper article if it's online. Maybe several of us can message them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa laninfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I sent the link to the moderator for approval. Thanks for the idea :-)

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise

There was an article about TNR in our local newspaper and some readers disputed the claim that TNR reduces the cat population in colonies. They claim that "cats attract cats".  I know that studies have been done, but are there any recent studies I can quote? I know that some people dump their pet cats at colonies. Have any studies been done on this?

Thanks! Melissa
Another great question!  And a familiar one at that.  This question inevitably comes up in most workshops that I host, and I'm happy to say that I can help you prepare for the next time someone brings this up.  :)

TNR is a method by which entire colonies of community cats are humanely trapped, taken to a veterinarian to be spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and eartipped, and then returned to their outdoor home.  The spay/neuter component is key when answering the "does TNR reduce the cat population" question.  Without sterilization, the population of cats will likely increase.  However, after the cats are sterilized, no new kittens are born, and the population stabilizes.  The population will decrease naturally over time as cats die of natural causes.  So at it's most fundamental level - sterilization equals population stabilization - TNR makes sense.

To back this up, there have been numerous studies done which have monitored TNRed cat populations.  Alley Cat Allies recently released a publication that summarizes and reviews eleven such studies; this publication is called "Trap-Neuter-Return Effectively Stabilizes and Reduces Feral Cat Population."  I would definitely recommend that you check it out, to arm yourself with these peer-reviewed scientific studies!  There is also a handy PDF version in case you want to print this document out to have on hand.

Hope that helps!

-Amanda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa laninfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Amanda! We had another local news station contact us yesterday and they want to do a POSITIVE story about TNR. We are so thrilled. This time, we will be able to get our message out there.

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise

Thanks, Amanda! We had another local news station contact us yesterday and they want to do a POSITIVE story about TNR. We are so thrilled. This time, we will be able to get our message out there.
AWESOME!  It's great when positive messages about TNR get picked up by the media!  I'm sure you'll do great!

-Amanda