Resources for a Large Scale Rescue of Strays?

rampaige

Hi, I'm Paige! I hope you're having a lovely day!
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there! I'm writing today because I am concerned about one of the local stray cat colonies that I have been caring for and feeding for the last few years.

I live in a tiny town in western Maryland and we have a large recycling center where people can drop off recyclables.

Screenshot 2021-01-03 111321.png

There are two large buildings that are a part of this facility. There are two expanding groups of cats that live in two separate little areas. Honestly not sure if they interact but I feed them both separately. These cats are not fixed. Babies are often born and die from exposure and just the horrible conditions of the place. New adults are discovered often that are most definitely dropped off. Most of these cats do not come up to me directly, but they are friendly enough that they approach me with happy meows when I bring them food. They circle my feet and around my legs, so I would not particularly class them as "feral."

One colony lives primarily under a little porch and both in the sewer pipe and up in the building itself:

Screenshot 2021-01-03 111349.png

And the other lives way back in the back near this one tree and inside of the sewer pipe:

Screenshot 2021-01-03 111532.png

I have done my best in recent years to feed them, and I am not the only one who does so. I have also tried my best to rescue and trap when I can. I did end up rescuing two kittens who were in horrible health. Unfortunately, the two did not make it and I was paying off a $1400 vet bill at the age of 22. My main issue is of course the money of it all. I have my own place and have rescued before (not from this location) and adopted out plenty of cats I was able to keep just in a separate room of my house. Keeping the cats until they are rehomed is not the problem. Catching the cats is no longer a problem either as I have come into a large trap rather than just the net I have been using. The main and only problem is the funds to get them the veterinary care they will 100% need. Back when rescuing the two kittens who did not make it, I was constantly asking for donations via GoFundMe or just directly to the vet or my PayPal from sharing on Facebook. I did not gather much funds, but eventually paid off the large bill nearly a year later.

20190716_202553.jpg

(One of the rescue kittens who did not make it)

20190716_201941.jpg

(Orange cat in the front has been there forever with a horrible eye issue. If caught, he will most definitely have to have that eye removed)

Now, in that large, empty field you see in the picture, an expansion of my local medical marijuana plant is being constructed (which is a fantastic use of the space, don't get me wrong). In the article that I linked in the above text or just from hearsay in general, I do not know of any mention of the cats. However, I do not foresee the cats being welcomed for much longer after the construction. There are at the very least 20 cats roaming the place. If they get up into the walls of the recycling center building, I do not think they would have a problem seeking solace in the greenhouse that will be built with the building next door.

So, in conclusion, I am feeling the urgent need now more than ever to get these cats out of here. My local animal control and animal shelters know about these cats and cannot and will not do anything to assist. The animal control is basically useless and the animal shelter is already so overwhelmed with cats that they are not willing to help. A trap, neuter/spay, and release operation is not an option here. These cats have been considered a nuisance and are not welcome. They are "tolerated," but for how much longer I do not know.

If I had the money to do this myself, I absolutely would. Crowd funding locally did not work in my previous experiences. I do not know where to turn for help. Does anybody have any experience with large scale rescue operations such as this? What resources would you recommend? I am desperate to get these babies out of there before the building is finished.

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all you've done for the poor cats. It is a daunting task, and just awful how many live in bad conditions all over the country.

I understand about go fund me/crowd funding, animal issues seem to be at the bottom of the list for people. They'll happily contribute to ridiculous stuff like some woman's plastic surgery though, ugh.

Have you contacted Alley Cat Allies or other feral cat organizations and explained the situation to them?

Have your talked to your vet/other vets in the area?

Are there any low-cost spay/neuter clinics in your area? If so, sometimes animal control has vouchers for free spay/neuter at participating vet clinics and that would at least keep the colony from expanding.

Can you network with other people who are feeding the colonies (you mentioned you are not the only one) and pool resources, f.e. someone may know someone who works at a store and can get damaged cat food for free or reduced, someone may have relatives/friends who work for animal-related places like vet clinics, someone may know someone with a large property where the cats could be TNR'd, etc.

I googled and found a community cat rescue organization, not sure if they are in your county but they may have resources you are not aware of, or be able to help: feralcatrescue

List of community cat resources with free or reduced spay/neuter: Local Outdoor Cat Vet Services – Laurel Cats

Also, Maryland animal rescue orgs, including Maryland Cat Rescue Groups

And a working cat program, maybe some of "your" cats would qualify? Working Cat Program - Baltimore County

And here is an older article about a lady who is doing what you are doing, if she is still around and you can get in touch with her she may be able to offer some help/suggestions. Groups take the lead in saving feral cats in Berkeley County | West Virginia | heraldmailmedia.com

I will keep checking and post if I find any other resources. Please update as you can, the cats are very, very lucky to have you try to help them. .

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, sorry that the kitties you take care of are in jeopardy. I urge you not to contact Animal Control as it would be very bad for your kitties. Please look into the organizations that the member above supplied links to. Allie Cat Allies is the best place to start. They have helped numberous caretakers whose colonies were in trouble. You can also try to reach out to rescuers in your state and see if they can offer some help. You need to get the word out all over social media. Look into colony relocations, transfers, barn programs, and animal sanctuaries. The last two resorts are not cheap, but maybe there are places that will accept monthly food donations in place of fees.

The other issue is that there are cats in these colonies who are not tnred. Where I live the ASPCA offers free TNR for cats to those who sign an agreement with them. They only charge for things that are outside of spay/neuter and vaccinations. If no such program exists, then try to see if a rescue group can help (they are probably getting discounted vet care). You could look into discount vets for yourself, if need be. Also, look into discount spay/neuter certificate programs like Friends of Animals. Keep crowdsourcing if you cannot swing the vet fees. There is no shame of asking for financial help, especially since you are doing a community service by tnring outdoor kitties

If you are able to take in cats, then start with the kittens first and socialize them and get them ready to be adopted out. You can work on friendly cats after that, but know it is going to be much harder to adopt out. It would be great if you had other fosters working along side with you, so the socialization process and hopefully the adoption process happens quicker. You really need a lot of help.

I wish you the best. I hope you are able to find rescue people who can help you. Perhaps a member on this forum who lives in Maryland can direct you to tnr/rescue groups not far from you who can help. These are difficult times, so be tenacious in your pursuit to find help for these kitties. Hang in there.🙂

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, Bravo! Thank you!
Now, your story of the cats has changed. Try again with the Go fund meets. But, make sure you add that the colony must be relocated, cats will die/ are dying, a new location must be found and you are willing to do the leg work of others will help. Document the past! Show it all! One photo is worth a thousand words. Sad pictures tear the heart but appeal with the cats that look appealing and ask for adoptions too! Ask for resources, links, networking as well as donations. Ask for transport or a donation of a safe location for those that must be TNR until adopted.
Trxt, email and call local country and town politicians! Contact businesses that have unoccupied land! Places like whare houses that need working cats but can shelter too. That gives you another way to appeal for food donations too and you can offer share house companies food for working cats. Contact cat food companies! Putin’s is good about helping. Phone! The human voice appeals better than text!
Best Friends is another group. The National Spay Alliance helps find spays. Next Doir might get homes for a few or contacts that lead to help. Facebook has rescue groups. Look there. The Humane Societies usually have discounted spay/neuter and immunization programs. Call EVERY vet! Ask for help AND if they know anyone else who can help! Networking is crucial. Google your local county, city, town, state and nearby of same for rescue of stray and ferals. Fosters too. Even other states may be the answer. I had to do a rush rescue of a colony on a fixed income. I totally understand butbeating the bushes for every scrap of help gets attention. Repeating the calls, texts and emails each week to the same people will make it do others know you are determined and they will remember you. They will take the whole thing more seriously. I’m my case, I asked all the above and everyone I met. At first I only found a few homes for the pretties kittens. I never knew if o would be able to get that last cat. I did. 84 socialized, spayed/neutered and immunized kitties got great homes. It took time and tons of determination and pouring my energy into it but it was worth every second! I am older and have health issues but I managed. I am betting on you! You CAN do this! A new company coming in? Appeal to them too! They will need some pest control and mousers could be a help. There will be buildings there? Storage? That equals shelter for cats! Work with them and appeal to them as needing the cats. They will! Work every angle and think outside the box. Senior citizen homes? How great to have therapy cats! Churches? Often have extra land around! Appeal to them about saving God’s creatures! Don’t give up! Please keep us updated.