Resource For Grieving Or Caregiving

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I just wanted to talk about something I experienced last night and share the info in case it can help someone else.

In caring for my cats odd diagnosis and managing his medicine, I’ve been really overwhelmed lately. I’ve been looking up anticipatory grief and other topics that relate to emotions when it comes to your pets.

This googling storm led me to a website called Day by Day Caregiver Support. They offer. 24/7 hotline for anyone overwhelmed with caring for a terminal pet or someone grieving a loss. Even just to chat about losing your pet one day. Sometimes these things can be silly but I took a chance and called last night. I spent an hour on the phone with an amazing man named Chris. It was very, very worth my time. They are compassionate volunteers and you can cry your heart out.

Anyway, I just wanted to let anyone know that you aren’t alone. Even if it feels that way you aren’t. Please give this a try if you are struggling. It’s actually a really great service. Just look up day by day caregiver support and you’ll find the hotline on their website.

Hope this helps anyone with a broken heart. ❤❤❤

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good information to have, and I thank you for sharing :)
The caregiving route for a terminally ill pet is so similar to caring for a human because they are living things and depend on us for everything. Sleep deprivation is a big factor, and it makes us feel like we're going nuts.
It's very cool that this guy spent an hour with you on the phone. Sometimes when we get to that point we feel house bound, we just need someone to talk to.
:grouphug::thanks:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is good information to have, and I thank you for sharing :)
The caregiving route for a terminally ill pet is so similar to caring for a human because they are living things and depend on us for everything. Sleep deprivation is a big factor, and it makes us feel like we're going nuts.
It's very cool that this guy spent an hour with you on the phone. Sometimes when we get to that point we feel house bound, we just need someone to talk to.
:grouphug::thanks:
Yes, and we also spoke about hyper vigilance. Feeling like you have to sleep with one eye open. A lot of really in depth topics. I’ve noticed in the past with similar things that they don’t spend too much time with you. I know there are a lot of resources but just wanted to shout this group out as it was invaluable.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and we also spoke about hyper vigilance. Feeling like you have to sleep with one eye open. A lot of really in depth topics. I’ve noticed in the past with similar things that they don’t spend too much time with you. I know there are a lot of resources but just wanted to shout this group out as it was invaluable.
Yes, that doesn't lead to good sleep.
We were caring for a cat that was about 18 and had a stroke. I think we slept a combination of about 8 hours in a week. That was exhausting.
I've wondered how a vet clinic would do if they had some kind of what human hospitals use as a chaplain. The vets have things to do and sometimes they want to talk but they just can't, if they had someone who was there to just talk with owners who were grieving over the loss, or a grim diagnosis.....?

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, that doesn't lead to good sleep.
We were caring for a cat that was about 18 and had a stroke. I think we slept a combination of about 8 hours in a week. That was exhausting.
I've wondered how a vet clinic would do if they had some kind of what human hospitals use as a chaplain. The vets have things to do and sometimes they want to talk but they just can't, if they had someone who was there to just talk with owners who were grieving over the loss, or a grim diagnosis.....?
Yes, that would be very interesting. One things we talked about last night is how vets have a hard job of dealing with the human side. Like they aren’t psychologists, but they often have experience in managing human emotion. That would be a great go between!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that would be very interesting. One things we talked about last night is how vets have a hard job of dealing with the human side. Like they aren’t psychologists, but they often have experience in managing human emotion. That would be a great go between!
Sometimes I get really pissed off at vets.
Then I read about how high their suicide rate is and the burn out rate is and I feel guilty for being upset, they're people too and deal with a lot of crap and a lot of sickness and a lot of grieving and a lot of mixed up stuff that I wouldn't want to deal with. It's a high pressure job. Those vets who can remain kind and do the right thing, should win some kind of award.
It's a lot like anything else, learning how the other side lives can help you deal with your grief or anger or whatever, you can put yourself into someone elses boots and learn how you're not alone or all by yourself.

DukenGizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know what you mean. It does make you angry sometimes. Like the ones that just send you on your way with medicine and then wash their hands of it. I’ve seen a lot of that. But I’ve learned to stick up for myself and advocate. They’re people too, so usually if you pipe up and say hey, this is really impacting me, they get it. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tahnks so much for the info! Sometimes it does help to release some of those emotions that build up inside. No matter what the circumstances, there are ALWAYS feelings of guilt, fear, regret, and anger. If you can't find them at the time of death you look back into the past. We have to understand that we are not perfect, but i think the most important realization is that we are not alone,,,,,