Resorption - When to Pull?

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Howdy all.

I'll keep it short and sweet - Sassy had some dental work done earlier this month and she was a trooper! Unfortunately she had a bad reaction to the anesthetic and they had to wake her up before they could finish pulling her two cracked teeth, but they got everything cleaned and got some X-Rays in. The initial plan was to pull her two cracked teeth, but the X-rays showed that all four of her canines are showing signs of resorption and the vet suggested pulling those too (when we get her back in for surgery) as they can eventually crack/break without the roots. I am not inclined to pull out this many of Sassy's teeth at once, especially not her four big chompers, as she is an otherwise healthy 13 year old cat. I plan to get a second opinion and my vet has offered to send x-rays wherever I want. Just curious - Does anyone have experience taking a "wait and see" approach with this kind of thing?

Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Reabsorption is, as stephanietx stephanietx said, painful, and can lead to other complications. I've known more than a few cats who had full-mouth extractions, and, once healed, ate any and everything they wanted, including kibbles and hard treats. Sassy will be much healthier and happier without ANY bad teeth, and will adjust to not having them...probably faster than you adjust to the idea of her not having them. Cats are incredibly adaptive.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
As above. Resorption can’t be treated, and even if your cat isn’t in pain yet, it’ll eventually lead to that. I’d want them pulled before they start causing issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got it, thank you all! The vet has said it's just starting and the nerves are such that she's almost certainly not in any pain, which makes me feel better, but okay, we'll get them out when funds allow. Thanks!