Resisting Sleep?

TuxSteelio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Not sure if this the right category. My cat is really social and always has to be a part of whatever is going on, on the weekends if we're home all day he will refuse to succumb to sleep unless we're sitting down and stay put. I don't think we're particularly loud when puttering around the house, there's only 2 of us. Yesterday was pretty busy and he was clearly exhausted and barely had a few minutes shut eye from early morning, and by 10pm he could barely keep his head up or eyes open but was trying so hard to stay awake and hang around with us. He's my first cat so I don't have any other sleep habits to compare to, I'm just a bit concerned he could be wearing himself out?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try Musicforcats . com or the app Relax My Cat or low volume classical harp music, it may help calm him :)

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey!
Sometimes my cat is like that too, she just wants to be apart of everything. What I do that sometimes helps is to play with her when she seems extra tired. It seems counterproductive but it actually causes her to fall asleep pretty quickly after that.
Good Luck! :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, with a healthy adult cat I wouldn’t worry about how much or how little they are sleeping. If he doesn’t sleep much during the day he may sleep more at night or more the next day.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat is really social and always has to be a part of whatever is going on, on the weekends if we're home all day he will refuse to succumb to sleep unless we're sitting down and stay put.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

You've have answered your own question here. He's being social and exited and like being around you guys and likes to be involved in what you guys are doing.

Once the activities has slowed down, he'll slow down too and eventually go to rest and sleep.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee is like this and barely gets any sleep (though I know he does sleep when we've gone to bed, because he's most distracted by us being up) during the day and in the evening. He's going to be two in July but is still very much a kitten in his personality. I often find that leaving him in a comfy position on the sofa helps him to get off to sleep, as well as turning the lights off. If not I second the suggestions of Relax My Cat and other calming classical music sites aimed at humans (since I find they also work for cats, too!).