Resident Kitty Bullying New Kitten?

angelicamariee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

We have a 6mo old female resident kitty, Harlie. She was fostered with a bunch of cats and kittens, and when we bought her she was in a showcase with other kittens as well. We have had her since she was 12 weeks old.

About 4 days ago, we brought home a 14week male kitten who we named Loki. He is from a household with about 10 other cats. We have kept Harlie and Loki seperated for the most part.

On the first day, Harlie seemed quite intrigued by our newest addition. Even went right up to the carrier and sniffed him out with no sounds. So, we decided to open the carrier after about a half hour and she started to hiss and growl and we have had them seperated ever since.

Today, Harlie and Loki spent hours smelling each other under the door with no growling or hissing - so we decided to give it another try. They were kind of hesitant at first. Harlie gives Loki the death stare but no sounds. Eventually, it started to look like they were playing. Ears were normal, I didn’t see any claws come out, no sounds, no puffy tails - but Harlie wouldn’t stop chasing Loki and making him trip and fall. All Loki wanted to do was play with the toys or lay down. He eventually just starting rolling onto his back. After about a half hour of being chased, and after Harlie knocked him down again, he hissed at her basically saying “enough!” and we seperated them. They are now in their seperate rooms again.

Does anyone know what was happening? Loki is extremely tiny compared to her, and I’m not gonna lie, she can be a bit of a pain sometimes even to us. We don’t know if it’s normal, her being a bully or trying to assert her dominance over him.

Please help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats, like hens, do establish a pecking order. There is a definite alpha cat, and all others are subordinate to that cat. And it has to be established each and every time a new cat enters the group. This doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, and it takes allowing them to have those spats, so long as the fur doesn't fly and there is no blood involved. If those two things aren't happening, its just a case of, "a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say."

Of course, there is a right way to introduce two strange cats, and the same rules hold true for kittens (although they generally adapt much faster). I'm going to suggest these articles to you:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Also be aware that kittens are prone to playing rough. This includes hissing and occasional screaming and squalling. Again, watch for fur flying or blood. Up until then, it's pretty much play. Kittens play to hone hunting skills, so it can look horrid to a watching human!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Both are still kittens and I think Harlie is thrilled to have a playmate, while Loki is still adjusting. They are close enough in age that they should be able to play safely together so I would let them be. Loki’s hissing is a message to Harlie that she is being too rough and that is the way they establish play boundaries with one another. I would not step in unless Loki starts hiding or the noise gets so loud that it is irritating you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelicamariee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My main concern is that the 6month old is constantly chasing the 14week old. She won’t let up for any reason - she won’t even let him into the main litter box (we do have two). He does tend to try to hide behind things and she will stalk him until he comes out.

From what I understand from you both is that it’s normal and there is no real way to stop the bullying Behavior other than letting them sort it out?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There really isn’t a way to stop the older cat except to distract her with food or play. Based on what you are saying you may need to continue supervise their interactions until the older cat loses some interest in the younger or the younger cat gets more confident in her ability to stand up to the older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelicamariee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have another question for you guys... they woke me up tonight with their play fighting. It’s currently 2:50am and this is what’s going on. I saw Harlies ears go back and broke it up, then separated them. Did I do the right thing? Or was it just play?

I had about a 45 minute to an hour play session with them before I tried to go to bed (at midnight). Am I just over tired and being paranoid?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
In all likelihood it was just play, even the middle of the night, and ears can be back during play
But sometimes it does get too loud so for your sake rather than theirs there is nothing wrong with breaking up the play fight.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, dear...kittens! Well, I'm going to throw yet another helpful article your way! While ears going back is no big deal, dragging you out of bed in the middle of the night is!

How Well Do You Speak Cat?

Now, they are young, so this will take time, but it can be done.