Resident Kitten Won't Move From Infront Of Bedroom With New Kitten.

Anna Jackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I'm a new cat owner as well as new to this site.

I've had my kitten for almost two months, he's almost 4 months old and he's been great, his name is Mellow. Now my younger sister has gotten a kitten who's even younger than mine, hers is almost 8 weeks old and he's really tiny. She named him Bently.

They're both solid black little kittens.

Now this morning when I went to feed her kitten, Bently, after his second night with us, (the first day he kept hiding in a book shelf in her room. Took us forever to find him,but he's out now and coming around. He's playing and eating and drinking water and doing really well)my kitten Mellow was outside her bedroom door. I left it slightly open for them to see each other, and it seemed like they were staring really intensely so I closed the door after a while. Now my kitten won't leave from infront of the door. The new kitten, Bently, won't move from his side of the door either. Bently keeps sticking his little paw under the door and Mellow taps it and then vice versa.

I'm not seeing any signs of aggression on my kittens part but do you guys think there's anything to be worried about? Are they just playing and getting to know each other or is this something else.

I really want them to get along because I feel like the new kitten is sad and lonely, I'm taking this as slowly as possible.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are playing and they really want to meet each other. Time to open the door and let them see each other in person. There might be a little bit of hissing but they will likely be playing together almost immediately.

Last edited:

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I brought my New kitten home my roommates 2 adult cats did the same thing! I initially gave my kitten almost a week alone in my room to give her time
To adjust and started slowly introducing her to the big cats. I think since their both young they should do fine with introductions. Just take it slow
And search these forums for help introducing new kittens. There is a lot of great info here to help you out! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anna Jackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. We slowly opened the door and let them met each other and they've been playing since. It's even helped Bently get more comfortable as he is moving more freely around the house. Still keeping a close eye on them both.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would normally recommend that little kitten to be kept in this room a couple of days more, so he knows its his safe room. Esp as he was that anxious in beginning. That said the kittens are just curious on each other. They will surely be great pals soon. Siperwose

Anna Jackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay guys. They've been playing whole day. Like whole day, sleep and then back at it. Last night the little one was more just following the big one and they jumping over each other and running around. But today they've been making physical contact. Like wrestling. The smaller one keeps meowing loudly and then hissing. I seperate then and then they wanna get back at it.

Is this how kitten play?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are learning each other's play boundaries. If the little one was really getting hurt he would be running away and hiding. He
is just complaining because the older is getting the better of him. It's okay to separate them though to give the younger a breather.

Anna Jackson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are learning each other's play boundaries. If the little one was really getting hurt he would be running away and hiding. He
is just complaining because the older is getting the better of him. It's okay to separate them though to give the younger a breather.
Thank you, just want to make sure they're not hurting or scaring each other.