Resident cats dealing with rescued stray kittens

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, I saw a post on the NextDoor app about someone giving away two "free kittens" who would otherwise be "released elsewhere." I picked them up about a couple hours later, and they are absolutely adorable, even though they're scared. They've lived outside for the first four months of their lives, but the guy taking care of them kept them well-fed. His father eventually put his foot down and said that he needed them gone. Note: they're trying to trap the mother, but they haven't seen her in a week.

The kittens have fleas, and they haven't been vaccinated, so I'm keeping them in my bathroom (bathtub as home base). My sister and I are looking for longer-term solutions for them, but they'll be with us for a few days. (My sister works at a veterinary hospital, and I have connections at local rescue organizations.) I bathed and flea-combed them both yesterday and will be applying age-appropriate flea meds this evening. They use the litter box perfectly!

My two resident cats (about 1.5 years old) are curious about who's in the bathroom, but last night, I woke up to my girl Athena throwing up her entire dinner all over the apartment. I'm assuming this is anxiety about the "intruders," since it had only been about 8 hours since the kittens had arrived. My two haven't actually seen the kittens -- they have been treated with their usual flea, tick, mosquito preventative (and are indoor cats) and are up-to-date on vaccinations, but I'm obviously being as cautious as possible.

Has anyone else had a cat react like this (vomiting)?

Here are the two babies:
IMG_20191112_065355.jpg

And my two residents:
IMG_20190317_161705.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job to take the kittens in and saving them!!! They are the resident cats are ADORABLE!!!

I have never faced that but it is possible Athena ate too fast because of the kittens (cats sometimes worry about food access when other cats come in) or just unease about potential "predators". Depending on Athena's level of confidence and territorial security this can happen.

Did Athena ever spend a lot of time in that bathroom? A loss of territory can cause uneasiness.

Watch her body language (tail position, ear position, how she stands, how she walks, avoiding areas, etc) to see if there is some caution or insecurity etc. Changes can tell us a lot.

Also, I would not allow any visual contact and may even consider a "buffer zone" (if possible) between the kittens and resident cats to ease the change.

Step up play and love with Athena to help her with this change.

I think she will be fine. I think it is understandable something like this might happen.

Thanks for doing what you are doing for the kittens!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All said above by C calicosrspecial is right on the money. I have a kitty with a nervous tummy and upon having new arrivals he did tend to devour his food and throw up. I introduce new kitties very gradually. The scent of new kitties can make the others gulp food and to be a bit nervous. I feed mine further away and in a quiet, calm setting to avoid new kitty scent as much as possible. If it continues then try feeding in smaller quantities but more often.
Thank you so much for saving those babies! They are precious! :clap2::goldstar:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are so precious. I was able to actually look at their little backsides last night, and they're definitely both boys!

Athena threw up again last night. She only regurgitates the wet food (dinner), not the dry (breakfast). She and Ares have not seen the kittens, and I'm going to keep it that way, but I know they can smell them under the bathroom door. Our apartment is small, and it's the only bathroom, right between the two bedrooms. And yes, the bathroom is one of Athena's favorite places.

I will try keeping her in my room all night tonight and see if that makes a difference. They are currently in my room all day to avoid any anxiety while I'm gone, but I do like to let them run around when I'm home.

The little ones are doing so much better already! They both purred like crazy last night while I combed them and fed them. And the fleas are finally dying -- I applied meds (for 2-5-month-old kittens) yesterday afternoon. They'll be getting a complete bedding change tonight.

I'm also in the process of setting up neuter and vaccination appointments at a local low-cost clinic. We plan to adopt them out (and have connections to do so responsibly), but I want to get them fixed/fixed up and more socialized first.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They really are precious. I love them!!

:( Did she eat the wet food faster than normal? Interesting it is only the wet. Yes, very good to keep them from seeing the kittens. Yes, I am sure they can smell them. Yes, the bathroom being a fave place would cause some unease so I can understand that. Did Athena sleep in there at night (pre kittens)? I am guessing not. Is Athena more restless during the night nowadays or sleeping well throughout the night? I wonder if since you are gone all day (and home at night) she might get stressed throughout the day and then that is why it is dinner that is causing issues.

Anytime we "take away" territory it can cause stress. So I think you are mentioning the resident cats are in the bedroom all day. Change can cause unease. I think I might be inclined to let the resident cats have access to the whole house during the day and try to create a buffer by the bathroom door so the resident cats can't get too close. And of course letting them run around when you are home is great. Cats don't like change so anytime we can eliminate as much change as possible it tends to help. Adding cats can just cause some cats unease and it sounds like Athena is reacting more to it. Giving her normal territory and love etc should help ease the transition.

Awwwwwwwwwww. SO CUTE. GREAT job!!!

That is a great idea. It will help the chances of success at their new home. I am sure all will go well.

Really great work!!