Resident Cat Won't Stop Hissing At New Kitten

Rebtyson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
We brought home a 4 month old kitten and our 16 year old resident cat will not stop hissing at her any time she's near or sees her. My resident cat is super sweet and affectionate towards people, never hisses. When we brought the kitten home we did everything we were supposed to do, she has her own room with food and litter box, we introduced scents and let the new kitten out in short bursts. But the new kitten just follows my old lady around and wants to be near her and play. She has shown no aggression and my resident cat will go into the kitten' s room all the time and doesn't hide from her. I don't leave them unattended but I was hoping someone had some advice so we can eventually leave them alone together.

Thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I've never had more than 1 cat at a time, so I'm not experienced with cat introductions, but something that is often mentioned, is if there's no blood or fur flying, it's probably not too bad.

Is getting another kitten an option? That is another recommendation when the age difference between the resident cat and newcomer is quite large. It then works so that the kitten has someone else to play with and doesn't have to keep bothering the older cat.

Here's a couple TCS articles on cat introductions that might be helpful:
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat
The Multi-cat Household

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you play with the kitten to wear off some of that energy edge?
I don't know how much it might help here it can you try some music to help relax your older kitty?
It doesn't sound terrible, I'm guessing that if the kitten pushes it your older cat may smack, but as long as it doesn't go beyond an older female teaching a youngster manners, you'll probably be ok.