Resident cat isn't thrilled with new kitten. Should I re-introduce them?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last Tuesday my family and I adopted a 5 month old kitten from my local humane society. I wanted to adopt an adult, but I wasn't sure if our resident cat, Squee (8 years old), would accept an adult, so we chose a kitten. When we got Squee as a kitten, our older resident cat, Scratch (5 at the time), accepted her immediately, so we were hoping the same thing would happen.

Since I'm posting this thread, that isn't the case. 
 Let me start off by saying that though we bought a Feliway diffuser, did the scent-swapping trick, tried to get them to eat on opposite sides of a door/play on opposite sides of a room (Squee always refused to both), and allowed Kitten (still unnamed
) and Squee to watch each other from afar, I know we rushed the introduction process (and trust me, I feel bad about that) compared to what most people suggest. That's why I'm wondering if we should just start over with the introductions.

We keep them separated for most of the day, with Squee downstairs and Kitten upstairs. Kitten sleeps in my room at night and Squee is allowed upstairs and downstairs from about 11 pm to 8 or 9 am. Squee doesn't have a problem with smelling Kitten's scent - she doesn't even react when she smells her scent - but she just hates  when Kitten comes within 3-4 feet of her. When she's watching Kitten from across the house, she will watch cautiously, but she won't get angry (i.e. hissing and quiet growling) until Kitten runs past or slowly walks up to her.

There's been a few exceptions, though:

1) One morning, Kitten was sleeping upstairs. Squee wanted upstairs too, so I let her up, and she walked up to Kitten. Kitten woke up; Squee touched her nose with Kitten's nose before Squee hissed and ran away.

2) The same morning, Kitten walked past Squee and Squee didn't react. They were about a foot or two apart.

3) Squee was sleeping on a bed downstairs. Kitten followed me down and I allowed her to look around since Squee was sleeping and I didn't think there would be a problem. Kitten jumped up on the bed beside Squee. She woke up and watched Kitten without hissing or growling. A few minutes later, Kitten jumped onto the bed again (further away than the first time) and Squee started hissing at her once Kitten started approaching her. Squee stayed in place for a few minutes before she jumped off the bed and walked around the corner.

4) I didn't see this happen, but it happened while I was writing this: Squee was sitting on one of the basement stairs. Kitten came up from behind and sat down beside Squee on the same stair. Squee didn't notice this for about 20 to 30 seconds. When she did turn and notice Kitten, she looked at her for several seconds before she hissed. She stayed on the stair beside Kitten for about a minute before she slowly walked away.

The bed incident happened this afternoon. About an hour after it happened, Kitten was sleeping upstairs on the couch when Squee scratched at the door to be let upstairs. I let her upstairs and Squee spent the next 4 hours walking around, chirping, and rolling around on the floor like any other day (including rolling on the floor about 6 feet away from Kitten. I guess Squee didn't even notice her on the couch). She spent a lot of time sniffing a few of the toys that Kitten had just been playing with. She even laid down on some of the toys and fell asleep like that!

When Kitten woke up and Squee saw her come near, she hissed as usual once Kitten came too close, but after a while, she turned away and closed her eyes with Kitten about 3 feet away from her.

Anyway, the first couple days after we got Kitten, Squee refused to come upstairs in the daytime without someone picking her up and bringing her up. That changed last night and now Squee wants upstairs every few hours. She doesn't really try to run from Kitten either - now she will just slowly walk to a different part of a room or around the corner from her. I'm not sure if Squee thinks Kitten is gone when she wants upstairs (she will slowly walk around each room, looking for Kitten before she realizes she's not there) or if she is slowly warming up to the idea of a kitten in the house.

As I write this, Squee is upstairs and doesn't want to go downstairs yet. They were watching each other for a while with Squee growling only once.

So after considering all that, what should we do? Does it seem like Squee is coming to terms with her (after all, it has only been six days) or should we start all over and keep them totally separated for much longer and restart the introduction process?

Thanks in advance! 

Last edited:

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You need a much longer introduction period.  At least a couple weeks.  Someone will respond with the info provided on this site.  I don't know where it is.

malt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm currently in the same boat. My new flatmate got a kitten just a few days before I had to travel away for a week. My flatmates totally rushed the introduction, by the time I got back home the kitten was running around the house. It was all just the worst possible timing but I was given no say in any of it :/  My cat does hiss at the kitten and bat her on the head sometimes, but she doesn't chase her or use her claws. She is gradually getting better, a few times in the last couple of days she's sniffed the kitten and just walked away without hissing. I feel like in my case it's too late/I don't have the authority to try a re-introduction, but if you feel like it will help for you then you should definitely try. 

One thing that has helped for me is patting and holding the kitten in front of my cat. I was trying to leave the kitten alone so my cat didn't get jealous. But since she's seen me handling the kitten, she's allowed the kitten to get much closer and has been hissing less, like she's more willing to accept it if it has my seal of approval. 

Sorry I don't have much help to offer other than that. Good luck with Squee (cute name!)