Resident cat is chasing new kitten

stelisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats- Felix (3.5 male) Poppy (1.5 female) and our new comer Oscar (7 mos). Felix is indoor/outdoor while Poppy is indoor only so we thought we would get another indoor cat to keep Poppy company. She loved cats when she was in the shelter and she adores Felix. We thought she would love Oscar and made the mistake of skipping the slow introductions. Things were fine for the most part but then she started chasing Oscar. The first time we weren't sure what happened and wondered if it was play. But then the second time it happened Oscar hid under the bed for about half an hour afterwards so we knew it wasn't play. We closely supervised them after that and things were good for a week or so. But then she tried to chase him with us right there. We managed to scoop her up quickly both times so there wasn't much chasing. Now we've gone back to the beginning of the introduction stage and are keeping them in separate areas of the house. I can't find any information on cats chasing a new cat, it's mostly about hissing, growling or fighting. Has anyone dealt with this? We're going to take this slow but how will I know when they can be together and she won't chase him?
Thanks!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is no hissing or growling, and they are fine most of the time, its probably unequal play. Its not unusual for the smaller cat to want to avoid rough play and to run away. Hiding for a half hour is indeed a warning sign, but if there is no hissing or growling its likely that the kitten is still a bit shy/skittish coupled with the overly rough play. Poppy's age reinforces my belief that this is play -- very normal for a 1.5 y.o. to be a bit over enthusiastic with a kitten that is still shy. If you have checked for wounds and found none, and both cats act normal around each other for the most part, I don't think this is anything to worry about -- they will work it out on their own.

Can you post a video for us?

remus07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in a very similar situation 1 year vs 6 months. They eat and sleep side by side but ocasionaly the bigger one chases and pins down the little one. Little guy hisses but the other doesn't get the message.

Currently I have them separated while I am away. I also try and redirect attention when the big one goes into that "fired up" state.

Looking forward to hear about your progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stelisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If there is no hissing or growling, and they are fine most of the time, its probably unequal play. Its not unusual for the smaller cat to want to avoid rough play and to run away. Hiding for a half hour is indeed a warning sign, but if there is no hissing or growling its likely that the kitten is still a bit shy/skittish coupled with the overly rough play. Poppy's age reinforces my belief that this is play -- very normal for a 1.5 y.o. to be a bit over enthusiastic with a kitten that is still shy. If you have checked for wounds and found none, and both cats act normal around each other for the most part, I don't think this is anything to worry about -- they will work it out on their own.

Can you post a video for us?
Thanks for your reply :) I did check for wounds on his back end but found none. When downstairs they are separated by glass doors. He sees her and still acts like he wants to come out. They even play under the door. I will try and post a video of them but I'm so nervous of having them together again. I'm trying to get Poppy to associate Oscar with positive things like treats and fun.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, got it now. A lot of people get confused by this dynamic. Let me give you the analogy: big human brother, little human brother. Big bro can be kind of a jerk sometimes when playing. Indian Sunburns, Head Noogies, Wet Willies and the dreaded Purple Nurple. Little bro runs away during play and calls for mom. Sometimes he might hide for a bit longer if big bro was really into it. But Big Bro isn't going to really hurt Little Bro, and Little Bro gets a net benefit from having a brother.

If Little Bro was being truly hurt, he would stay away from Big Bro all the time, not just during overly rough play. This is a really common dynamic. Let them do their thing. If Big Bro is really making Little Bro miserable, you can distract with toys, but don't have the illusion you are going to teach him to play gentle. Time and Little Bro getting bigger and more confident will make their play more equal, but they are still friends.

A little isolation and more introduction process will do nothing here. This isn't a getting to know each other issue. This is a 1.5 half year old plays a little rough for a smaller kitten issue, just like the 8 year old human boy plays with his 5 year old brother. You can teach the human child to play more gently, maybe -- while you are watching anyway. You can't really teach the cat -- you need to trust that they will work it out, and that the kitten gets a net benefit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stelisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats- Felix (3.5 male) Poppy (1.5 female) and our new comer Oscar (7 mos). Felix is indoor/outdoor while Poppy is indoor only so we thought we would get another indoor cat to keep Poppy company. She loved cats when she was in the shelter and she adores Felix. We thought she would love Oscar and made the mistake of skipping the slow introductions. Things were fine for the most part but then she started chasing Oscar. The first time we weren't sure what happened and wondered if it was play. But then the second time it happened Oscar hid under the bed for about half an hour afterwards so we knew it wasn't play. We closely supervised them after that and things were good for a week or so. But then she tried to chase him with us right there. We managed to scoop her up quickly both times so there wasn't much chasing. Now we've gone back to the beginning of the introduction stage and are keeping them in separate areas of the house. I can't find any information on cats chasing a new cat, it's mostly about hissing, growling or fighting. Has anyone dealt with this? We're going to take this slow but how will I know when they can be together and she won't chase him?
Thanks!
I forgot to mention that in the last couple instances of her chasing him we noticed that her fur was all up on her back and her tail was puffy!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Keep an eye on her so there's no fur flying or blood drawn, for a few months until your little one has grown. Hopefully their relationship grows as he does :).