Resident cat cranky after arrival of new kitten

okzoej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, a month ago I found this little tiny orange kitten crying in the rain. OF COURSE I had to take him in. I already have a 4 year old cat, Archer, who is usually incredibly cuddly and sweet. I got him in January from a shelter, where he had been surrendered from a home with another cat. He's probably the *neediest* cat on the planet. Follows me everywhere, sleeps on/next to me all day, big mama's boy. Anyway, he immediately took to the kitten, who we've named Gus. As soon as I brought him inside Archer was bathing and playing with him. He still does this, although lately I've noticed some behavioral changes. Gus sleeps on the bed next to me, where Archer would usually sleep. I've tried getting Archer up on the bed when Gus isn't around and he ignores me. If I pick him up to put him on the bed, he thrashes around a bit and makes an agitated meow. He's particularly aggressive like this around the bed, but he thrashes when I pick him up around Gus too. And sometimes he'll jump up onto the bed next to me, just to make that weird meow and smack me! Like?? I suppose it's just a territorial thing, but in addition to this, he's stopped following me around and just seems less interested in me. I know it's silly but it's making me sad! Does he resent me for bringing Gus into the house? Does he maybe just rely on me less now that he has a cat companion again? Will this behavior change with time? Is he just a jerk? Help! Lol
IMG_3966.JPG

Here they are snuggling! Right when Archer woke up he smacked poor Gus upside the head :'(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, it is very early days yet, so we can't know...however, if they sleep together, that's a very good sign that they are doing just fine! And it isn't uncommon for adult cats to discipline kittens with a swat. They do have to teach the little upstarts some manners, after all! So long as Gus isn't afraid of Archer, all is well on that front.

Now, as to your relationship with Archer, Archer has gone through a rather radical change in How We Live, and cats are not generally fond of change. I believe that given some more time, say another month or two, Archer will be far more like his former self. Patience. Be there for him, give him all the affection he wants, but don't force things. It will settle down.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And thank you for rescuing Gus and giving him a home. That picture certainly looks as though Archer had taken little Gus under his wing, errr... paw. :catrub:

As for Archer's change in behaviour, I have read that cats can become less needy towards their human once they have a feline friend. So that could be happening. Not sure about him swatting at you, and the strange meows. Is his other behaviour normal - eating and using the litter box? Those would be the things to watch for, if you were worried about him being stressed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a bit of a weird variant, but as noted above cat behavior often does change a bit when they get a new playmate. Just be very patient and don't force the adult cat to do stuff she doesn't want to do, even though she normally likes it. In time, things should get at least much closer to what you were used too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okzoej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far his appetite and litter box use have been normal, yeah! It takes a lot to stress Archer out so much that he won't eat lol. He's a piggie