Resident Cat "bullying" New Kitten?

Salem&Pennykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've jusy recently adopted my cat Salem about 3 weeks ago. He is a year old and neutered. Sweet to me and pretty playful. Was offered an 8 week old kitten and picked her up 4 days ago. Her name is Penny.
Didn't introduce them right, just brought her in the house in the carrier and Salem sniffed around and just seemed curious. But when I put her on my lap petting her, telling him it was okay, he wouldnt let me touch him. She was nervous and ran off my lap and he began chasing her. Hissing and growling at her. She just would try to run away, scared.
Anyway, I've been keeping her in the bathroom with her litter box, toys, and food - trying to keep them separate. No matter how hard I try, either she slips out or he slips in. But, it's a lot less hostile than the first two days were. So I've been letting her roam around when I'm home (I keep her in the bathroom at night and when I'm gone).
There hasn't been any hissing or growling, but Salem will NOT leave her alone. He stalks her. NON STOP. Eyes dialated. (She usually keeps to herself, just sniffing around and exploring.) He watches her and then the second she moves to go somewhere and runs and pounces on her. He bites and pulls her close to his body with his front paws. He kicks with his back paws sometimes. She bites him back and meows very loudly, it scares me that he's hurting her. He doesn't make a peep. I constantly check her and haven't found any marks or blood.
The only time he leaves her be is when she's eating. And while shes eating he sniffs and licks her genitals. Other than that, he (not exaggerating) is ALWAYS chasing her and doing that.

Do you think they're just playing rough? Or does it sound like he's being mean? She rarely pounces back at him because he is ALWAYS the one chasing.
DSC_1444.JPG
DSC_1444.JPG
DSC_1471.JPG
DSC_1471.JPG

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds pretty natural to me. All the things that are happening have happened when I have introduced a new kitten to an older cat. Just dont leave them together unsupervised yet, play with them and teach them to play together. It will take several weeks, maybe a couple of months for them to settle down together. Salam is still getting used to you and his new home with all the strange sights and smells then Penny arrives with more new smells. Things will settle down in a few weeks.
Salam has a beautiful coat and Penny is very pretty. Enjoy them and keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salem&Pennykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. :) And yeah I forgot to add in that I've played with them together and fed them together and he would (for the most part) leave her alone. Actually, last night, poor Penny was crying up a storm in the bathroom. She usually stops after a few minutes but she was not backing down last night. So I finally let her out, hoping she'd be okay for the night as long as I was there. And Salem, right on cue, began chasing her and pinning her down like before. But I just let it happen. Fell asleep around 2am. When I woke up this morning, Salem was asleep by my feet. The kitten came running in when I got out of bed. Salem just laid there.... FINALLY no chasing. I brought the kitten into the bed with us and they were fine. Actually Penny rubbed against Salem and licked him a few times. He was fine with that. But then I was petting him and he growled and ran away. He didn't start that until Penny came. Maybe he's getting used to her, But still a bit stressed? I just hope I didn't traumatize him and have him be this way toward me forever.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
try doing a scent swap= take a blanket/towel under each kitties sleepign area and switch it the next day-this will help your older kitty get used to the new kitten. It takes time for things to calm down. You can try to keep them seperated when things get too much. I found that petting both at the same time helps them calm down-they won't be competing for your attention. I think in a month it will calm down..if your resident cat isn't hissing and growling then that's a good thing!! The cats are cute by the way!! love the pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Salem&Pennykitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) Yeah I try to pet them at the same time but Salem doesn't really like me to touch him when he is anywhere near her. :( But he is doing so much better this morning.