Resident cat biting and chasing new kitten

uzanur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We have a 2 year old manx cat named Kahve. She is really affectionate, social and mellow. She's been raised alone at home and haven't contacted any other cats so far. However, we adopted a new kitten 3 days ago and she just transformed into a whole new cat. New kitten is only 7 weeks old and unfortunately we didn't follow any proper introduction steps which we really regret now. Anyhow she was freaking out first, hissing, growling at her. Second day she seemed fine, she was watching her constantly but never got close. She was trying to touch her occasionally. But her behavior changed completely, she was hissing to us and she stopped communicating with us. She used to sleep with me every night on my head kneading my hair but since the new one arrived she never came to bed. She doesn't let us to pat her even touch her. Yesterday, she started jumping onto the kitten seeming like she was trying to play with her but I am afraid it's more than playing. She occasionally lick her too as long as the kitten doesn't do sudden moves. But whenever the kitten starts running around she jumps onto her, bites her, kicks her and the kitten is growling, hissing, and screaming. I feel like the kitten's moves trigger something in her and she attacks. When she jumps onto her she holds her and she wouldn't let her run away, if the kitten stops moving she licks her but as soon as it tries running she starts biting and kicking again. I think it looks like she's almost hunting and I know it hurts her because it is crying. When that happens I separate them but  does it again. I tried to put them into different rooms but the little one cries so bad and Kahve just wants to go to her. 

I started using Feliway diffuser for multi cats hoping it would make them calmer but I am really panicked about whats going on with Kahve. She always had the habit of biting and kicking our hands, she does that to us when she plays with us and also when she gets angry at us. Now I can't figure out if she is playing with her or if she is aggressive and trying to hurt her. And the kitten is crying constantly. I am even thinking to rehome her. Do you think they will get used to each other in time and Kahve will stop hurting her? Or because I didn't introduce them properly they will never get along? Do you think Kahve will get back to being herself again and stops being angry at us? I am really sad about this and don't know what to do. Thanks!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would separate the kitten in a safe room for a few days and then start the introduction process (see the link posted above).  You can go in and spend time with the kitten and yes she will cry; but cat intros are best done at the cat's pace for the long term benefit.  A 7 week old kitten is so tiny; i wouldn't feel comfortable letting a full grown cat play rough with it even if it is just play.  

In a cat's mind; 3 days is not much for introductions.  It's normal for the process to take weeks to months!  It really depends on the cat.  Patience is essential for some cats when it comes to introductions. You can try to make the safe room cozy for the kitten; give her something to snuggle like a stuffed animal that is about her size or a bit bigger like a mama cat size.  Give her boxes to hide in and a cozy bed (that is where I'd put the stuffed animal).  Of course put kitten safe toys in there too.  And be sure the room is "kitten proofed."  

Good luck and keep us updated!