Resident cat aggressive to me since intro of kitten

june6163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Mookie for 3 years. He is so loved and so chill. We introduced a female kitten, Luna to our home on 8/8. I have followed all the rules, slow introduction, separate food bowls, 3 litter boxes, plugged in 2 Feliway.
Mookie is tolerant and sweet to the new kitten. They play, chase, stalk, hunt and seem fine. Mookie is16 pounds, so the play is monitored!
My issue, Mookie hates me now! He growls hisses, and is non approachable since the kitten arrived. I figure he is overstimulated, stressed and maybe putting on heirs in front of kitten. I have respected his space. But nothing has changed. He is miserable to me.
WE went to vet, hoping he was ill (quick answer) but he is fine. Vet recommended all i have read here and researched. she did say prozac might help if behavior is still happening in 2 months.
So my question is...
has this happened to anyone else and if so, does it level off, will I get my mookie back?
I apologize if this is a redundant question. There's a lot to read on this forum.
Thank you in advance

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are playing nicely with no hissing and seem to be getting along well, Mookie can't be that stressed by the kitten, so my thought is that something else is be going on. At least as you've formulated it, its not immediately fitting into a common scenario for me, so let me ask some questions. He is neutered right? How old is the kitten? Can you give us more detail about everything in timeline form, the intro, how the cats interact, the aggression in particular, how you are interact with Mookie and the kitten, etc? This isn't happening only when you try to break up rough play?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

june6163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.
Luna was kept in my daughters room for a week, mookie was slowly introduced with luna in crate and mookie on leash. Then mookie in crate and luna checking him out. This went on for 2 weeks. mookie would roll around the crate when luna was inside and then leave toys at the bedroom door when luna was in there. Once luna had full range of house mooke and her would play and chase and he would groom her. But if i picked mookie up, he would growl. i figured I'm messing up his focus and he was overstimulated.I have given him space and praise. Mookie is neutered, been with us solo for 3 years. Luna is 16 weeks old.
I walk mookie. We do the same route, for 10 minutes once a day.
when i put on leash he purrs and knows we are going. But as we are walking, he randomly hisses. not a new route, same route , Its just weird.
At home if i pick up mookie he fusses, growls and if i persist he hisses. I cant even pet him . This is not the mookie we know.

Prior to adopting Mookie I adopted 2 ,6 month old siblings from a shelter. One was protective of the other. Had them 2 days and the protective one attacked me, cuz i went upstairs where the sibling was. It truly was awful. relentless attack. I was reluctant to get another cat but mookie was so chill. So we were a good match.

Mookie loves my 17 year old son, they are inseparable, They use to play hide and seek, and cuddle. Now my son cant get near him with out a growl. He will swipe at my son.
I thought the felliway was stressing him so i unplugged them. Vet today says to plug them back in and get a calming collar. I truly wished he had a cold or something. I don't want to lose the relationship we had with him. i was hoping someone may have had a similar experience

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is completely normal. Mookie is displaying typical redirected aggression. He is still very uneasy/upset about the new kitten and is directing this feeling against you and your son when you invade his space and he can't take the distraction of you interfering with his unrest. He is so focused on the newcomer and his feelings that he is on high alert at all times, even during his walks as you found out. Everything looks suspicious and threatening to him right now, even those he loves. Just give him his space, as long as he is getting along fairly well with the little girl,(who I have a feeling will be running the household in a couple of years, they usually do) just let him know you are there if he needs you and offer yummy treats and soothing words. Just act normal, no tiptoeing, that looks threatening like you are sneaking, talk to him, feed him, but them leave him to sort out his feelings.
It sounds to me like they are doing well! The older cats always look like they are being too rough with kittens, but in reality, they are teaching them playing limits and manners which kittens learn with their littermates and momma between 6 and 12 weeks. Growling, slapping, and pinning to the ground are all normal reactions for the older cat, and the kitten will be seriously annoying at times with all the need to play they have. mookie wants no uninvited attention right now. He is seriously focused. This does not mean he has changed in any way his feelings towards you and your son or will stay this way. It may take a few more weeks, even months for him to accept the new kitten as a friend and family member, but it WILL happen in time. Cats need lots of space and time during introductions. We cannot hurry them or reason with them to rush things. sure some cats accept others quicker and more easily. I ahve heard of them but I myself have a clowder that took almost a year to get along. theywere all adults though set in their ways. They became a family and loved each other in the end.
I would get a kickeroo on Amazon, a long catnip filled kick toy, and throw it towards the kitten when she is becoming too annoying. Or towards Mookie if he is getting a little too intense. They cannot resist them I have one always 'steeping' in a bag of catnip to keep it refreshed. They may each enjoy one. I have 4, three for the three cats.
Don't worry, it seems heartbreaking right now, but your lovanble Mookie will return in time, and he will thank you for the playmate and little sister you brought him!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Redirected aggression was my first thought, as di and bob di and bob suggests. That is a very normal thing. But you did such a good job painting them as fast friends J june6163 that I still think maybe its something else. It does seem to relate to the kitten though.

What happens if you try to pet Mookie after a few minutes in a room with a closed door, kitten excluded?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mookie is starting to accept the kitten, I agree. Good job! But with his actions towards the humans, he is still on high alert with his feelings and not tolerant at all with anyone trying to distract him from his focus. even in another room or outside, he is still focused on that kitten. And you never know, he may be liking her so much he can't tolerate any interruptions for now! But with his hostile actions towards his humans, he is still displaying redirected aggression. Not meaning too, but driven to by his instincts. Which he is MUCH more attuned to than us.....

june6163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Redirected aggression was my first thought, as di and bob di and bob suggests. That is a very normal thing. But you did such a good job painting them as fast friends J june6163 that I still think maybe its something else. It does seem to relate to the kitten though.

What happens if you try to pet Mookie after a few minutes in a room with a closed door, kitten excluded?
It happens even when i have him exclusively.
First thing in am when its just him and I, i can pet, but cant pick up or cuddle and petting is brief. When he walks by i can pet but its with him running away. when i open the window for him to sit in in am, no kitten around, we usually have a sweet moment together, now I cant. With my son he cant even pet him.

june6163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mookie is starting to accept the kitten, I agree. Good job! But with his actions towards the humans, he is still on high alert with his feelings and not tolerant at all with anyone trying to distract him from his focus. even in another room or outside, he is still focused on that kitten. And you never know, he may be liking her so much he can't tolerate any interruptions for now! But with his hostile actions towards his humans, he is still displaying redirected aggression. Not meaning too, but driven to by his instincts. Which he is MUCH more attuned to than us.....
Thank you, i am going to research it. Im hesitant on the calming collar, do you think that's phermone overload with 2 feliway plugged in?
I pray this is temporary. I just want to be able to have time with mookie.

june6163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is completely normal. Mookie is displaying typical redirected aggression. He is still very uneasy/upset about the new kitten and is directing this feeling against you and your son when you invade his space and he can't take the distraction of you interfering with his unrest. He is so focused on the newcomer and his feelings that he is on high alert at all times, even during his walks as you found out. Everything looks suspicious and threatening to him right now, even those he loves. Just give him his space, as long as he is getting along fairly well with the little girl,(who I have a feeling will be running the household in a couple of years, they usually do) just let him know you are there if he needs you and offer yummy treats and soothing words. Just act normal, no tiptoeing, that looks threatening like you are sneaking, talk to him, feed him, but them leave him to sort out his feelings.
It sounds to me like they are doing well! The older cats always look like they are being too rough with kittens, but in reality, they are teaching them playing limits and manners which kittens learn with their littermates and momma between 6 and 12 weeks. Growling, slapping, and pinning to the ground are all normal reactions for the older cat, and the kitten will be seriously annoying at times with all the need to play they have. mookie wants no uninvited attention right now. He is seriously focused. This does not mean he has changed in any way his feelings towards you and your son or will stay this way. It may take a few more weeks, even months for him to accept the new kitten as a friend and family member, but it WILL happen in time. Cats need lots of space and time during introductions. We not hurry them or reason with them to rush things. sure some cats accept others quicker and more easily. I ahve heard of them but I myself have a clowder that took almost a year to get along. theywere all adults though set in their ways. They became a family and loved each other in the end.
I would get a kickeroo on Amazon, a long catnip filled kick toy, and throw it towards the kitten when she is becoming too annoying. Or towards Mookie if he is getting a little too intense. They cannot resist them I have one always 'steeping' in a bag of catnip to keep it refreshed. They may each enjoy one. I have 4, three for the three cats.
Don't worry, it seems heartbreaking right now, but your lovanble Mookie will return in time, and he will thank you for the playmate and little sister you brought him!
I do agree that it is a form of redirected aggression, but articles i have read make it sound like the aggression is quick and and impulsive. All referring to the cat sitting in the window seeing another cat then impulsively hissing or swatting at you. Most articles stating to remove the trigger. I have found nothing about this long term aggression to humans because of the trigger.
We got Luna on August 8, its been over a month. I would hate to rehome the kitten with hopes of getting Mookie tolerant with me.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, with a kitten & older cat, it isn't necessarily the normal redirected aggression scenario. Its often more what I call hyper vigilance. That is when the big cat feels it needs to be on constant guard duty, because an attack can come at any time. And guards are jumpy. Guards don't want cuddles or treats -- they are on duty! I haven't seen hyper vigilance continue once its clear the cats are friends, but if the kitten is the source of all this, then that is perhaps what it is, the hyper vigilance variety of redirected aggression.

I had issues with hyper vigilance for MONTHS when an older cat was very stressed by a kitten. With the door closed, he would relax a bit and crawl on my chest, purr like mad, just like usual. But nonetheless, even with the door closed, any noise would make him dig his claws in and painfully spring off my chest. Since your cats seem to be friends or on the way to friendship, if this is some lingering hyper vigilance, I don't think it should last long. Not months like I had! Perhaps weeks, but I don't think it should be too long. The key thing about hyper vigilance is to understand it -- don't expect the guard on duty to have a drink and play dice with you as it were. Just be patient, and interact the ways the cat will allow. And realize that even if the kitten is in the other room and Mookie seems to relax, he will likely be on a hair trigger. You'll get Mookie back.

june6163

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, with a kitten & older cat, it isn't necessarily the normal redirected aggression scenario. Its often more what I call hyper vigilance. That is when the big cat feels it needs to be on constant guard duty, because an attack can come at any time. And guards are jumpy. Guards don't want cuddles or treats -- they are on duty! I haven't seen hyper vigilance continue once its clear the cats are friends, but if the kitten is the source of all this, then that is perhaps what it is, the hyper vigilance variety of redirected aggression.

I had issues with hyper vigilance for MONTHS when an older cat was very stressed by a kitten. With the door closed, he would relax a bit and crawl on my chest, purr like mad, just like usual. But nonetheless, even with the door closed, any noise would make him dig his claws in and painfully spring off my chest. Since your cats seem to be friends or on the way to friendship, if this is some lingering hyper vigilance, I don't think it should last long. Not months like I had! Perhaps weeks, but I don't think it should be too long. The key thing about hyper vigilance is to understand it -- don't expect the guard on duty to have a drink and play dice with you as it were. Just be patient, and interact the ways the cat will allow. And realize that even if the kitten is in the other room and Mookie seems to relax, he will likely be on a hair trigger. You'll get Mookie back.
I get this. He must have an extreme case. I should add I’m in a condo. Smaller space. So he’s having to share territory too.
I’m guessing my clothes must smell of the kitten and maybe on the walk he gets a whiff? It’s scary cuz we are outside. And it’s hard to control him in that state. I have to stop and redirect to calm him. I have stopped the walks because of this, but he howls at the door now.
You are such a help! Thank you