Resident 8mo kitty is not happy with the newcomer (4mo)

NekoHK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I've been reading all the cat introduction articles and all the posts from other members who are going through cat introduction issues. All of these are super helpful and I've been trying to follow the recommended steps as best I can. I haven't come across any situations like mine though so wanted to seek any advice or just reassurance.

I got Biscuits, a golden british shorthair girl when she was 3 months old back in August and she has settled in very nicely with me. Not a timid cat at all, loves play "hunting" prey, is a good companion (she'll follow me to every room and is always nearby but not on top of me) and gives great cuddles in the morning. I live in a 1-bedroom apartment and she sleeps in my room at night (litterbox in the ensuite bathroom). It's quite nice, she sleeps in her own bed on the floor but comes for cuddles as soon as the sun is up. Better than an alarm clock!

I wanted to get a 2nd cat, mostly as a companion for Biscuits, and read that it's easier to introduce them while they are still young and also a boy & girl would get along better than 2 girls. So along comes Bear, a grey & white british shorthair boy. He's 4.5 months old and I got him 2 weeks ago. To separate them, I have a pet-tent for Bear which is big enough for a litter box, food & water dishes, and a space to sleep. The pet-tent is in the living room and I tried to keep the visual contact limited the first couple days. Bear sleeps in the tent, I feed him there and he spends a lot of the nap time during the day in there. For the first week, I did solo playtime with him, while Biscuits was in the bedroom. Now I'm letting them play together for about 30 minutes at a time. Bear is a cuddle monster and really wants to be friends with Biscuits so as soon as he's out of the tent he goes looking for her. Biscuits is tolerating him a bit better but still growls and swats (no claws) when Bear gets too close. They chase each other around the apartment and it looks like Bear does it as a game but Biscuits is doing it more out of annoyance than play. She's never hurt Bear and she doesn't use her claws on him but the growling and some hissing from her worries me, although Bear has never made any noises except pleading meows when he wants to play.

I should add they are the same size: she's on the small side for her age and he's little chubster. 2.5kg. She may be trying to assert her dominance with the growling but it's not having the desired affect! I've been feeding them in close proximity and giving them treats together to try to create positive associations. Any other suggestions to help Biscuits accept him better? Or do I just keep at it with short supervised playtime sessions and give it more time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NekoHK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two fur babies: Bear (4.5mo boy) & Biscuits (8mo girl)
F7488E8D-F48A-46A1-8742-D1834B2547C5.jpeg

BDB02104-0111-40AC-84FB-B2D48DDA7D61.jpeg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My suggestion would to just let them be together for as long as your home and can listen for real trouble, which is very unlikley. They are too young to have serious problems, and will work things out, but more time would be better than 1/2 hour chunks. It may take a few days, but friendship will come.

You might ultimately have issues months down the road when the little one grows significantly bigger than the older kitten if it retains much more activity/interest in roughhousing. Thats far from a certainty, and I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens. In the immediate future, true friendship is the next stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NekoHK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thanks for the reassurance! Biscuits starts grumbling with annoyance after about 30 minutes and it takes her another 10 minutes or so to start taking multiple swipes at him so I've been separating them at that point. I'll give it a bit longer to let them work it out. I'm waiting for the day I find them curled up together happily! Hope that day will come!