Resentment Towards New Second Kitten - Should I Give Him Up?

Bindis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I'm feeling lost and incredibly guilty about this, so I hope you will be understanding in your replies.

In short - adopted 2 month kitten two weeks ago. Resident 10 month cat now timid, withdrawn and keeping distance from me.

I have had Bindi (female 10 month cat, spayed and healthy) for 6 months now. The moment I looked into her eyes in December I felt a deep connection. The very first day I let her into the house, she spent hours kneading me and cuddling. Over time, that bond has only deepened, I am as attuned to her feelings as she is to mine. When I am upset, she seems to know it and cuddles with me until I feel better. Before she came into my life, I really struggled with anxiety and depression, but since I got her, all that has improved greatly. I wouldn't know what I would do without her. She is also my first cat.

Over the past two months, she has shown signs of being lonely, especially when I go out. I work from home and spend a lot of time with her, but I need to go out for groceries, errands, meeting friends etc. Not to mention I am trying to improve my social life and get out more often. She has also become more and more playful to the extent that i couldn't keep up with her play needs, even after 1 to 2 hours of active playtime daily.

With all this in mind, I adopted a 2 month old kitten Oreo 2 weeks ago. Oreo is cute, but to be completely honest, I don't feel a deep connection with him. I was hesitant to adopt him, to be honest, because I just felt no love for him. But i told myself that since I love Bindi so much, what is important is that Bindi loves him. He is younger than her, a male kitten that had siblings for the first 2 months, he seemed like a good match for her, so I took him in.

It took one week for them to start playing together. They play a lot, it sometimes gets really rough with some sounds from both cats, but overall it stays playing. However, he has turned out to be a really dominant little guy.

During meals together, he gobbles down his food, then moves to her food bowl and pushes her out of the way while she is still eating. She doesn't react but just stands there as he eats her food. I've tried giving him more, but then he overeats and vomits. She is a slow and picky eater, he gobbles everything. He has also been guarding the water bowls. He insisted on drinking from all 3 bowls I have in the house, and I saw him hiss her away when she tried to access the water. I've added a 4th bowl tonight. (4 water bowls!!!!) He plays really rough, with all claws out, and during play he has even run over my legs leaving bleeding scratch marks.

I can still work on all of the above, but the absolute worst part that simply bothers me too much is this: When he sees her
coming for cuddles with me, he pounces on her and bites. They then become a rolling ball of biting. Usually Bindi tries to dominate him but she gives up because he bites back hard with all claws out. She then slinks away to a higher table that he can't jump on to (yet). Because of this, Bindi has started to keep away from me. She does play with him, and its nice to see when they play nice. But it is horrible for me to watch him repeatedly pounce at her at the exact moment she comes to cuddle with me.

The close relationship I had with Bindi is changing slowly. She is starting to keep her distance from me. She barely meows (used to be very talkative), doesn't respond to her name (used to come when called), lies around depressed when Oreo isn't chasing her and is overall acting scared and timid. She used to be a brave kitten, but in just two weeks she has suddenly become afraid of thunderstorms (used to watch the lighting from the window), afraid of strangers (used to greet the delivery guys) and is generally less confident. This is making me resent Oreo greatly. On his own, he can be a charming cuddly kitten, I feel so guilty to resent him. I often think how much better off he would be if his owner did not have another cat to think about. He loves people and human attention, and seems to hate it when Bindi comes to me. Bindi is not the type to stand up for her rights, she just slinks away and keeps her distance.

I know its only been 2 weeks, but I just can't take it to see her like this. I am extremely close to finding him another home. Should I go ahead and rehome Oreo? It doesn't help that even after two weeks, I still feel a lack of connection with Oreo. I just don't feel love when I look at him, and I don't look forward to seeing him when I go home. I feel horrible about this and almost regret adopting him.

The biggest complication of the situation is that - Bindi seems to actually like Oreo, despite his behaviors. He is still sleeping in his kitten room at night, and Bindi (who sleeps in my bedroom usually) has parked herself outside the door and meows for him. This is the main factor keeping me from finding him another home. Oreo was dumped at a local market at 4 weeks old, went through a foster home, and then ended up with me. I feel so bad making him move houses again. Bindi has been lonely before - on one hand, her new friend is a bit of a bully, but on the other hand, a friend is a friend?

I don't know what to do. Personally, this situation is causing me a lot of anxiety. Bindi was almost like an emotional support animal to me, and to lose her slowly in this way is affecting me. Ideally, I want a second cat who would be a friend to Bindi but without causing distance between her and me. Does this even exist? Or are my expectations completely off? Is she better off being an only cat? Am I being a completely selfish cat owner to want my cat to love me and pay attention to me?

Also, they are both healthy. She is spayed but he isn't neutered. Due to laws in my country, there is no chance of getting him neutered until he is at least 6 months old.

Thank you for reading this far and sorry for the ranty post. Just had a lot to get off my chest and would really appreciate the thoughts of more experienced cat lovers.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's only been 2 weeks. Have you tried tiring him out everyday with play? For the food thing I have to feed my cats wet / raw food separately. Sometimes cats are food obsessed. But it sounds like yes a slightly older but still energetic cat (1-2 year) might have been a better fit for Bindi. Sounds like she has outgrown her rambunctious kitten days anyway. As long as you find him a proper home I wouldn't hold anything against you. If it doesn't work out for you then that's what it is. I'm sure others will chime in with a lot more suggestions. But don't feel too guilty if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I would give it more time. He's still young, and what you're seeing is a lot of kittens just being kittens... because they don't know any better. He's going to push her boundaries and see what's okay and what's not. She'll let him know if he super crosses a line. Any cat introduction I've been through, it's taken at least a month for things to settle more. It's a lot for any cat to adjust to a new member of the house, which is probably why she's acting so timidly. The thing to remember is that it usually isn't permanent. As long as fur isn't flying or there's fights with bites and lots of injuries, I would wait at least another month before deciding.

Another thing to remember is that if a cat is lonely on their own, and they get another friend, they usually do get a bit more distant with their humans. There's nothing wrong with this. (Instead of getting all their social interaction from a human, they get some from their own kind that exactly understands their language and stuff) Bindi is dealing with a HUGE change right now. One of my cats, Dunlop, slept in our basement for 3 months straight after we introduced a new cat, but he's now back to his normal happy self.

The last thing to consider: is it in Bindi's best interests to make her a lonely, single cat, so she's more affectionate to you? Or is she going to be happier if she has a companion? When thing settle down, Oreo could also wind up being cuddly! There's no right or wrong answer, it's up to what you feel is best at the end.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
You are in charge of this situation and your own life so I won't tell you what I think is best. You have to make that decision for yourself.

What I can tell you is do NOT feel guilty at all. Sometimes when you adopt an animal, it doesn't work out. Believe it or not, not all animals are compatible with certain people. It's nothing you did wrong. It's just the way things are. Just like how we humans don't get along with every person we meet.

I'd say give it more time (take others advice as well) and if you truly feel like it won't work out and the kitten would be better off in another home, than that is what should be done.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It has only been two weeks, so it would be very easy to go back to square one and do proper introductions with these cats. I have included TCS articles regarding the process, as well as some additional information about the behavior of both cats (see below).

The other thing is, if Bindi won't stand up to him and put him in his place, then you will need to be the one to do so. He needs to learn not to use his claws, not to bite - in essence he needs to learn boundaries. That means, picking him up when he is guarding the water bowls, or trying to eat Bindi's food, and any other time you feel he is intimidating Bindi unnecessarily. When you pick him up, tell him a firm "No', and then put him in a time-out room for a couple of minutes. Once you let him out of the time-out room, don't dote on him, just go about your business. This has to be repeated consistently and for as long as it takes to get him to understand. All of this will help Bindi regain the confidence she has apparently lost, if she see you as her protector she will likely feel much more comfortable and she might actually start to feel more confident in teaching Oreo some boundaries.

He is also likely to be a problem until he is neutered, so you have a while before he is able to settle down completely - as the loss of hormones will certainly help with his apparent aggressiveness.

You need to get Oreo a slow feeder bowl so that it takes him more time to eat. Or, you can even add a golf ball or similar sized ball into his bowl so that he has to eat around it to get to all the food. You can also use a mini muffin pan to place his food in to help slow him down.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not continue down this path. Sorry. I know cats need to be adopted. But this will only get worse.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see a benefit to doing a reintroduction. They are already friends, the older cat just isn't fully on board with kitten level crazy. That can happen sometimes, with mismatched energy levels. It will improve with time.

With respect to the food, kittens are to be allowed unlimited grazing, or to have 5-6 small meals throughout the day, if you can manage that. There stomachs are small, so they can only hold so much -- 3 meals a day is not enough. The kitten eating the older cats food likely may indicate that he was just super hungry due to this issue. If you can manage a couple of private feedings with the kitten where the kitten can eat as much as it wants, then the joint feedings should go much better.

It is totally normally for an older cats behavior to change a little when you add a kitten, especially one that is a whirlwind, that the older one finds a little overwhelming at times. But things will settle down with time.

So I would wait. However, a kitten this young can be rehomed easily, especially now with the demand for pets at an all time high due to Covid 19. So if you wish to give up the kitten, do it soon. Please don't get another kitten at a later point however -- this sounds like a fairly normal kitten.