Rescuing Baby Mama And Her Kittens

Shamael

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I have been feeding feral cats ( 5 of them) on the daily for a few months now and about 2 months ago i saw what looked to me as a stray cat eating with the ferals. I managed to catch her and sent messages for the Lost and found pets but no one claimed her as his. Next morning i tried to give her food in her cage but she managed to escape and i had to chase her where she hid in the basemet of a neighbor and while i was looking for her i find 2 kitties crying. Low and behold the mama appears and i decided to keep them all but could catch them. I spoke with the neighbors and they told me she has been living in their basement ever since she was pregnant and gave birth to 4 kitties, 2 passed away and 2 made it. I decided to leave them and feed them every day. And thats what ive been doing for 2 months, i drive by at the neighbours right after work to feed them and leave ( because i dont want them to get in touch with the ferals), and ill swing by at night for their dinner as well. The mama is super friendly and so is 1 one of her little kittens, where i can pat him slowly while he gobbles on his chicken. Last week, i see one of mamas eyes shut and with discharge so i took her to the vet immediately, where they first had to test her for any viruses. Unfortunately she tested positive for FP and she had to be admitted for support and meds. I was asked to bring in the kittens because they suspect they too might have the same virus. i managed to get them both in the cage and drove to the vets and luckily they tested negative. The vet gave them a jab and told me if i can catch them in 3 weeks time so they can have a jab booster but told me theyre all good to go and can be on the streets ( they have been weaned and eating on their own ever since i stepped in). I made a decision to keep them in our basement and brought in a little tent for them and provided food/water, litter and a warm blanket. I open the cage and 1 gets in and was super drowsy and sat still but the other managed to run free. I was pretty relieved because she just had her shot. Kept going back and forth checking on the other kitten and he was eating fine but was crying for a bit. I woke up the next morning, couldnt find him. Got back after work and found him hiding and crying under 1 of our cars along with the rest of the ferals, managed to feed him and off he went back to his little tent. Got back home from a night out and found him again under the car and fed him and put him back in his little tent. At this point i was thinking to get him back to his original basement, but i was thinking using my heart not brains and decided to keep him under my eyes in my basement. I wake up the next morning, hes not there. 2 days later no sign at all. I am feeling super guilty and cant sleep thinking he might get his by a car or maybe hes hiding in some engine looking for warmth. Mama is still in the hospital, they had her tested again yesterday but she was still positive.

I am heartbroken and feel super guilty not being able to save the little one. I could have kept him with me overnight, or sent him back to his basement. But i didnt. Part of me feels its OK because they were brought up on the streets and should be fine now after their shots but the other part feels so sad and guilty not knowing where he is and that he may be in danger hiding under cars. Also, i feel bad for mama not being able to see them ever again. I am trying to stay positive with the idea of maybe getting her on a leash and walking her in the streets to find her little ones once she is out of the vets.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where is the other kitten? Is it safe in the neighbor's basement?

It is difficult to say where the missing kitten might be or what may have happened. He probably also missed his mom.

If he returns I think you should return him to his original basement.

Can the vet spay mama kitty while she is there?

Kittens need good homes and to stay inside only. It is safer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shamael

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur,

The first kitten ran away the moment i opened the cage. The second one stayed overnight and that was the last i saw him. Mama will only be spayedband vaccinated after 2 weeks of her full recovery.